Update on DS at Basic Training

Re: Update on DS at Basic Training

Postby kim » December 4th, 2013, 10:14 pm

Lisa, Your Poor Mom!!! I just have to take one step at a time.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby LisaH » December 5th, 2013, 7:42 am

Mama & Daddy had 7 kids...only 2 boys...they (my parents)had to sign a release for the younger one to go in the military and it was HER stipulation that if they were going in then they would have to use the buddy system so the would never be separated! They, of course, agreed!

Totally different news and hi-jacking your topic/thread here Kim (sorry!) - but my youngest (will be 21 Sunday) just passed his MEPS and is now officially a Marine Recruit. They have given him 3 different possible ship dates(for boot camp) - one at the beginning of February, one in the middle of March, and one in August...so I guess it's now a waiting game...LOL
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Elizabeth » December 5th, 2013, 8:21 pm

Wow! Two at once. Must have been nerve wracking for your parents at times.

Kim, a combat medic sounds like one of the most important jobs possible. Good for your DS!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby kim » December 6th, 2013, 10:03 pm

Combat Medic is one of the most dangerous. You have to go in the middle of fire and get the soldier out....and treat them.
Lisa, don't worry about the hijacking. LOL. Tell him to pick the Feb or March. August is too hot. ANd when they do the field exercises...."camping out", it is best to not to have to worry about bugs and snakes. And Congrats...I think. I have to say that my DS joining was both a good thing and bad thing. I had so many emotions, still do. The FB page that one of the moms set up (closed group) was a blessing. We were able to get the support we needed, air out our fears and joys, basically let it all hang out. She closed the group so that no one else could see what we posted. Our soldiers didn't have to know of our fears, etc. and we were able to support our soldiers with a positive attitude and never let them see us in tears. And believe me, some of the young wives had meltdowns but their husbands never knew it. And we also were able to share information (my DS was TERRIBLE in giving information in his letters). We also had a wonderful drill sergeant that kept us posted on the company page.

I found out that the TIde Pods I sent DS were a hot commodity! DS would trade them for fire watches (fire watches are where they have duty to stand watch over the barracks to make sure a fire doesn't break out). DS always seem to have the 1 a.m. to 2 a.m. duty. Also the cough drops were a hot item. No candy allowed so the soldiers used the cough drops like candy. That , and with all the yelling and a cold going around, cough drops were like gold.

And you know moms....there were a few soldiers who didn't get any letters, etc, so the moms (and some wives) banded together....we made sure they got letters and care packages. Found out for every piece of mail they got, the soldier had to do 10 pushups. But none complained...they wanted the mail. Found out at graduation that one of the soldiers I sent a care package to was raised up in Foster care and was abused. I was so happy I sent him a package. Not much, since they aren't allowed much but basic things like soap, detergent, toothpaste and such. But it is more in the fact that someone cares to send a package. Many of us sent stuff to him. It just amazed me that some had families that just didn't care enough to even write.
kim

Postby kim » December 6th, 2013, 10:07 pm

Oh, and Lisa, I am sure he is already doing this, but he needs to get prepared by working out. And not getting sleep. And wolfing down food. LOL. Many of our soldiers used spoons to eat with since it was faster and they got all the food. THey had seven minutes to eat. It's funny to hear some of the stories, like sleeping in lockers (yes, mine slept in his locker to get a few winks of sleep). But I honestly think he sounded happier when I saw him. I liked the discipline and he was proud of himself.
kim

Postby LisaH » December 6th, 2013, 10:24 pm

Thanks Kim, he doesn't really get to choose his date but he did tell the Sgt that he would prefer February or March, so we will see how it goes. The Marines require the recruits to do PT before they ever ship and he has already been doing 5 & 10 me runs, and loads of calisthenics. LOL and he bare makes weight so the Sgt told him to continue eating a lot, like he is now, but he has a very high metabolism...so it's a battle. He also told Rann that the other guys in boot camp probably wouldn't like him too much when it came to chow time, he would get extra time & food to help him gain weight.

Oh, and he will get letters and care packages...and others will as well that don't have anyone. Thanks for the tip on the pods & cough drops!
LisaH

Postby Elizabeth » December 7th, 2013, 5:04 pm

Oh, Congrats, Lisa! Somehow I missed your mention that your DS had enlisted. Best of luck to him as he waits for his start date!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Elizabeth

Postby LisaH » December 7th, 2013, 7:50 pm

Thanks Elizabeth
LisaH

Postby Gigi » December 7th, 2013, 8:34 pm

Hugs to you Lisa - always. If he makes it to Camp Pendleton, I can keep an eye on him - or maybe he can keep an eye on me! LOL :hide:

So proud of him.

And just saw your quote - did you just change it or am I slow in noticing?? :banghead:
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby LisaH » December 9th, 2013, 10:54 am

LOL Gigi - it's been changed for a while (maybe 2 or 3 weeks) and thanks
LisaH

Postby Gigi » December 9th, 2013, 11:50 am

Well then clearly - slow on noticing!! :hide:

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Elizabeth » December 9th, 2013, 1:45 pm

Me too, Gigi. I didn't notice until you mentioned it!

Elizabeth

Postby Suzan » December 9th, 2013, 1:46 pm

Guess I haven't had enough coffee. LOL
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » December 9th, 2013, 1:47 pm

OH I am so glad I am not alone!!! Thanks ladies! :roll:

Gigi
Gigi

Postby whizzy » December 9th, 2013, 5:01 pm

Just catching up here — congratulations to your son Kim & good luck to yours Lisa as he waits for his start date.
www.scrapsofstuff.com
Mac OS X 10.9, Windows 7
Inkscape, Signcut Pro (with dongle) & Scal3  tiny bites! )
whizzy

Cutter: 18" Cougar

Postby LisaH » December 11th, 2013, 8:21 am

LOL - you girls are nuts! I think I must need to bathe in the stuff...because I'm obviously not be able to ingest enough! LOL

Thank you, Glynnis.
LisaH

Postby kim » December 14th, 2013, 2:32 pm

LOL. I am so far behind on everything! This broken ankle has gotten me so down on not being able to do anything. :)

My advice...watch the videos that tell you what to expect for Basic Training. It helped me tremendously on trying to keep up with all that was going on. One guy showed up to BT and didn't work out at all...could only do two pushups. I could do more than that! Well, he didn't pass the PT. I am ready for this next phase and trying to figure it all out.....his training for Combat Medic. Right now he is in "reception" which is what they call "limbo". LOL. He is at Fort Sam Houston but has not started classes yet and won't until after the holidays. So, they just keep busy doing chores and PT. I still can't believe the change in my son.

I am ready to get back to my normal life....just waiting to get rid of the crutches. Did you know that your balance goes as you age? I used to have great balance but now find it hard to stand on one foot! I get a brace on the 27th. Maybe then I can get back to crafting. I had no Xmas cards done and so had to BUY cards. Or rather, have my Dad purchase since I can't do any shopping.
kim

Postby Suzan » December 14th, 2013, 2:38 pm

I remember as a kid it was so cool to see other kids in casts, and you always wanted to play with crutches. No Thanks in college I blew my knee completely out and was on crutches for six months pure torture.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » December 14th, 2013, 3:49 pm

Oh ouch, Suzan!

Kim - feel better soon!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Elizabeth » December 15th, 2013, 1:52 pm

Suzan, I was one of those kids who wished for a broken bone. (as one of seven kids, I really craved the extra attention that kids with casts and crutches got! ;) ) Your college injury sounds terrible.

Kim, I hope your healing goes quickly. Will your DS be able to come home for Christmas, or will they keep him busy over the holidays? (I've noticed the change in balance as well. Its getting harder to put my socks on while standing! I make sure I am close to the bed, in case I tip over! :ROFLMBO: )

Elizabeth

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic