I can't believe this happened!!!

I can't believe this happened!!!

Postby kim » May 27th, 2013, 9:54 pm

A couple of weeks ago, Dad dropped my external hard drive that stored all of my graphics and cut files. Okay. No biggie. It started acting funny so I just transferred everything to a new external hard drive. Today the new HD made a funny sound. I tried to move a file and it kept working, kept working, kept working....nothing. Turned off the computer, rebooted, and then tried again. Nothing but clanking sounds coming from the external HD. This was a NEW hard drive!!! I bought it a year ago, but I have never used it.

Luckily, I had backed up everything to another hard drive (an old one) a couple of weeks ago since I already had one hard drive acting funny and then we were having storms. I am now transferring everything to a NEW hard drive. I have some new files that I, thankfully, have duplicates in my dropbox. WHEW!!!

The only thing that I lost was all the organization I was doing. I think. I will have to check and see if I still have all those files I was converting from the .studio files into .svg files. But the bright side is that I didn't lose the originals....if I have to, I will just convert them again.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Re: I can't believe this happened!!!

Postby Gigi » May 27th, 2013, 10:07 pm

Oh gosh Kim - I am so sorry. I have burned up a few external drives in my time. Now I have all of my svg files on sky drive and an external drive.

I am so glad you didn't lose anything important. Phew!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Elizabeth » May 28th, 2013, 6:12 am

I think this may be the post that convinces me to start some cloud storage! What a mess. So good that you had all the extra back ups! I only back up to one external drive, and only once in awhile. (just did it a couple of weeks ago.) I should at least get a second external, I guess.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Angel135612 » May 28th, 2013, 7:40 am

I hate it when a hard drive starts acting up. So glad you had everything backed up to another hard drive. I really need to get my files organized, and make sure EVERYTHING is backed up. I think I have most of my stuff backed up, and I use a program to back up my important folders automatically at least once a week, if not every couple of days. That way as long as I put things in that particular folder, it will get backed up with out me having to think about it... but I still check every once in awhile to make sure new things are in there... LOL.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Postby LisaH » May 28th, 2013, 7:59 am

that's yucky, Kim! I have 1 external that I use only for backup...pics and files mainly. I also have about 5 different "cloud(s)" that I use but not 1 specific for all of my files - I really need to look into getting enough space to have a central location in the cloud for my files...hmmmmm. I will have to do some research and see what seems to be the most economical for me. I have thought about Carbonite...but the one Tyler gave a link to the other day may be a great choice as well...
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Angel135612 » May 28th, 2013, 8:03 am

I tried the one Tyler mentioned the other day, and I'm not sure I like it. I couldn't tell what was being backed up and what wasn't, and it kept telling me that I was running out of room.. and I couldn't see where I had stored anything. So I just cancelled my account with them today. It was annoying getting a splash screen every so often that I was running out of room and to upgrade and pay for storage. (Not that I'm against paying for more storage, but I hadn't even had enough time to figure the program out before it started asking for money). I may try it again at some point, but I'm happy with the different clouds I have right now.. just have to remember which cloud I put things in.. LOL
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Postby LisaH » May 28th, 2013, 8:12 am

Yeah...remembering is my issue! ROFLOL
LisaH

Postby PennyDuncan » May 28th, 2013, 9:56 am

Oh Kim.....lucky you girl for doing the cloud storage and the HD backups....I LOVE cloud storage.....I utilize all of them pretty much.....but am finding that I do prefer Skydrive and Google Drive the most...and those are the 2 I continue to use more....Like all these others...I have all my files on the clouds and also on an external hard drive.......It's so nice to have this ability!!! I'm so glad you didn't lose any of your files girl!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Postby Elizabeth » May 28th, 2013, 11:09 am

I need to go through my files and decide what is "cloud-worthy" (obscure Seinfeld reference). Sounds like a good job for when I am chaperoning camp in July. That is when I usually try to work on big file organization projects, since I can't craft much. (although this year, I am going to bring enough supplies for each of the chaperones to make a mini journal for camp quotes.)
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Elizabeth

Postby PennyDuncan » May 28th, 2013, 12:54 pm

Oh Elizabeth that will be SO MUCH FUN for them!!!!! You know..another reason I LOVE Cloud Storage is I'm able to give my aunt and uncle access to my files whenever they want them for cutting and if I don't have my laptop with me I can still access whatever I need from where ever I am.......to me that alone is priceless........
PennyDuncan

Postby rachellann » May 28th, 2013, 1:33 pm

Oh what a bummer lets pray that all your files are safe. I try to keep more than one back up copy of the most important items, because I have had crashes from external drives in the past and lost things in the past.
Helping where I can when I can.
Using a 24" Silver Bullet Pro and also have a 18" Cougar
rachellann

Cutter: 18 Cougar, 24"Silver Bullet

Postby kim » May 28th, 2013, 8:22 pm

Well, the thing that really ticked me off was the fact that it was a new hard drive. Too bad I bought it over a year ago, but I just opened the package two weeks ago. I did lose two weeks of converting my .studio files to .svg, but that is all. I went and got a new hard drive (my spare is the same brand as the DEAD hard drive) and I went back to my old brand of hard drives.

Also, I think I am going to look into REAL cloud storage. I do use cloud storage, but only the small free amounts and I need BIG TIME storage. I have lots and lots of graphics that I have been collecting for about 18 years.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby rachellann » May 29th, 2013, 12:02 am

here is a site that is free for one year then 50.00 per year after that but at least you can back up several computers and seems like it can be even accessed from an app. on your phone.
https://www.crashplan.com/carboniteswit ... 4AodyUsALA
Helping where I can when I can.
Using a 24" Silver Bullet Pro and also have a 18" Cougar
rachellann

Cutter: 18 Cougar, 24"Silver Bullet

Postby Elizabeth » May 29th, 2013, 5:26 am

Thanks, Rachell. That seems like a pretty reasonable price.

Elizabeth

Postby LisaH » May 29th, 2013, 6:59 am

Thanks Rach!
LisaH

Postby PennyDuncan » May 29th, 2013, 8:36 am

Yeah Kim.....that's me...I have TONS of files.....I opted with the paid level of storage for Google Drive & Sky Drive both.......as I can sync multiple computers with the storage and always have everything up to date all the time.....
PennyDuncan

Postby Gigi » May 29th, 2013, 9:50 am

I have paid with Sky Drive and Amazon - barely use the Amazon but need to remember. Like all of you - I like multiple backups!!

I have not tried Google but should. The more I use their products the more I like them - still learning. I love that Skydrive does it all seamlessly as I have the really important things (like cutting files, digital stamps and papers - all of those things that you dont want to lose. I should throw all of my fonts in there too as they are scattered all over my external drive. I have been wanting to organize them FOREVER.... but that's a task that keeps going to the bottom of the list! :(

Gigi
Gigi

Postby PennyDuncan » May 29th, 2013, 10:24 am

Hey Gigi...You would love Google Drive as well...because like Skydrive....it syncs things seemlessly!!!!!
PennyDuncan

Postby Gigi » May 29th, 2013, 11:08 am

Good to know - I need to investigate a little more. I love not worrying as much knowing that I have the cloud backup as well. I cannot tell you how many external drives I have burned up!!!
No more worries this way........ :)

Thanks Penny!

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Off Topic