I did not fall off the face of the earth...

I did not fall off the face of the earth...

Postby Mary Kobe » March 21st, 2013, 10:43 pm

I have not been on the last few weeks because we have been remodeling. What was I thinking????? We were trying to make the house more "user friendly" for my husband by moving our washer and dryer upstairs. We had a closet built in what was the guest room and is now my husbands photography/computer room and the old photography/computer room is now the guest room. New flooring and fresh paint in these rooms along with our room and master bath. Not a great way to spend my vacation! On Monday, I was OVER it! I could not sleep in, could not take my wonderful afternoon naps, but DH had NO problem napping on the couch! So, we checked in to a hotel for one night thinking that all the work would be done by Wednesday and I could have my own bed back! NOPE!!! Finally, tonight it is all done. All the furniture is back in place and just little odds and ends to do.

It is nice to have the washer and dryer upstairs! But I really need sleep!
Mary Kobe

Re: I did not fall off the face of the earth...

Postby Gigi » March 21st, 2013, 11:06 pm

Good to hear from you. No - not the best way to spend a vacation if you wanted to rest, but sounds like you will love all of the improvements.

Enjoy your OWN bed tonight - there is nothing like it!!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Retta » March 22nd, 2013, 12:40 am

Hope you are getting that much needed rest! Enjoy the changes since they are done!
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby allandra42 » March 22nd, 2013, 6:46 am

I am sure it will be all worth it in the end. I have done so much remodeling I understand OVER IT!! :-) Enjoy your space this weekend. Monday it will be back to the grind until Concordia!! :-) Thanks again Mary Kobe and you know what for. Your timing was perfect. Well for me anyway. LOL Lesa
Hours spent in my craftroom are considered by me "Time Well Spent"
Please visit my blog: http://timewellspentbylesa.blogspot.com/
allandra42

Cutter: 15 inch Cougar, 24 inch Silver Bullet

Postby PennyDuncan » March 22nd, 2013, 6:54 am

I bet you are plumb exhausted FROM your vacation....sounds like it's going to be VERY nice!!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Elizabeth » March 22nd, 2013, 8:12 am

I love planning remodeling jobs, and I love the results, but everything in between is torture! I totally get why you were over it! Glad to hear it is done, and things are getting back to normal.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby kim » March 22nd, 2013, 9:57 am

Hope you get the rest you need....next time you need to remodel when you are working, not on vacation!

You wanna come here to remodel my grandmother's house? It has to be gutted and redone and all within a budget. UGH. THe whole electrical wiring has to be redone and that alone will take up half my budget. By the time I get done with the windows (has to have new ones), the plumbing, and the floor, I will have little left over for the fun stuff of remodeling. I foresee a lot of DIY projects ahead for me.

My cousin lived in this house for six years and I have NEVER seen such a wreck of a house. There are burn marks everywhere and the filth!!!! OMG, the filth is not to be believed. While my grandmother was alive, at 92 she kept a cleaner house.

So rest up and get your energy back and then you can come and tackle this for me! :) Glad to see you back on the forum and then you can go to Missouri and miss out on sleep again.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby PennyDuncan » March 22nd, 2013, 12:00 pm

Oh I don't envy you on that adventure at all Kim.....but it will be SO NICE when you get it all done!!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Postby LisaH » March 22nd, 2013, 12:25 pm

Go back to work Mary...you sound like you could use a rest from your vacation!! :ROFLMBO:

Sounds like it's going to be an enjoyable re-do for both of you.

Good to see you here again ;)
LisaH

Postby Mary Kobe » March 22nd, 2013, 1:08 pm

Kim, I can send my guy to your house! He is VERY reasonable! He does all the work himself, except for electrical and carpet. The remodel took almost 3 weeks, but this guy is so good, I cannot complain! And, DH kept adding things to the list! (Railing on our deck so he can go up and down the stairs, new front door, additional shelving in the new closet, and additional lights.) We were over budget by $1000.00, which I did not think was too bad since DH kept adding!!! AND, the guy moved most of the furniture. He used the garage to do all his wood cutting and when he was done, he cleaned the whole garage! Including my husband's car which had been parked in there. He asked if there was anything else, so I asked him to please wash, wax, and polish the wheels on my husband's car! He didn't go for that!

This guy is so great! One weekend, his daughter was rushed to the emergency room and was admitted to the hospital. He came by to make sure it was ok with us that he went to the hospital! He could have called, but he wanted to have the conversation face to face and to see if we needed anything because he would not be back until Monday.

He will be coming back in May to do Phase II....knocking out a kitchen wall to our never used living room and remodeling the kitchen. I have to wait until May because he has other jobs to do. Dang! I SURE will NOT take vacation then! LOL

I did ask the guy why it took him so long. On tv, they can get it done in a weekend! He asked how many were on the crew? I told him they just show one person! LOL

I do not want to go back to work! I need some play time! But I am enjoying the new look of our house. We had planned on visiting some friends while I was off, but the weather here just plain sucks!
Mary Kobe

Postby minorcustomcrafts » March 22nd, 2013, 2:05 pm

Your vacation sounds like mine last week. :) the kids had spring break so I took the week off. I decided it would be easier to write off my work space if I had an actual room. So I told my almost 17 year old that I was going to take over his room in the basement, make a moveable wall and closet in the family room for his new room, that would give him privacy from people coming down stairs. He had been sleeping upstairs in the spare room since we moved into this house 5 years ago for multiple reasons, and has now decided he will be okay sleeping downstairs. That made my 10 year old decide she wanted the larger room upstairs (spare room). Mind you this weekend we are having company for her confirmation. The spare room had not been repainted when we moved in, so go to pull all the furniture away from the wall (you know so we don't have to rush and get done, it will be hidden) and we found some mold in the corner behind the bed. Ugh! That meant everything HAD to come out of the room for me to clean it. So we had to move around 4 rooms, plus clean and then paint that spare room. We got done Sunday night and had to go back to work/school the next day. The kiddos were not happy, but I had to remind them this was for them. All the rooms, except my craft room, are back together again, but everything is in the craft room. We even got the shelving built for Timothy's room. I also had to order a new queen bos spring cuz it would not fit down the stairs :) I had to cut some things for tomorrow and I had my computer on a bookcase andmy cutter on a shelf and cords running to a different room:) then I had to put stuff on the mat and weed in the kitchen :) so this ended up being an all work break, and expensive.
minorcustomcrafts

Postby kim » March 22nd, 2013, 5:47 pm

Mary, I will take your guy!!! This house has to be gutted. It was built in the early 50's and so the whole electrical system has to be replaced. Then, the windows are the old single pane glass and the wood has rotted and so it leaks. Plus, they have been painted over and over so you can't open the windows. Not a big deal unless you have a fire. The carpet has so many burns in it from I guess cooking or burning crystal meth (yes, my cousin apparently was doing that stuff) and so the carpet has to come up. Good thing the old floor was hardwood. The wood floors will just need to be sanded and refinished. The old floor furnace and attic fan will need to be covered. THe floor furnace will have to get the wood floor to be just like the original floor. The kitchen cabinets need a face lift and the counter tops will need to be redone. The old kitchen floor has the old tiles which has asbestos. The outside and inside needs some repair work on walls, etc and repainted. HUGE project. I am moving all my furniture from a 3400 sq ft house into a 1200 sq ft house. This is going to be interesting on how I fit all that furniture into the smaller space. Good thing I won't be living in it full time. Oh, and the garage will need to have some repairs because my cousin's son has knocked some holes in the wall when he was angry. We have found meth pipes or some kind of pipes (several), little empty baggies (little things) and straws. Guess what those were from. Not to mention cigarette butts....everywhere....under beds, under furniture. I guess they didn't believe in ashtrays. If I can get all of the house done within budget, then I might be able to take what we call the "Little House" which is a separate building and fix it up and use it for an office. It will take a whole remodel but will give me some added space. If I could someone like you found, I would be in heaven.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Return to Off Topic