Blizzard of Oz on the way!!

Blizzard of Oz on the way!!

Postby Mary Kobe » February 25th, 2013, 9:55 pm

The blizzard is on its way! (The Blizzard of Oz is a term used by one of our tv stations!) I know it is not big news for some of you, but for us in Kansas, it is a big deal!

With the storm on it's way, our utility company sent out an email to this effect:

"Our offices will be closed on Tuesday due to the weather. Only essential employees will be reporting."

Then this email was sent: (again, paraphrasing)

"We are anticipating loss of electricity due to the storm coming in. With blowing winds up to 40 mph, some customers may be without power for a few days. If you are without power, please call us."

Ok...call WHO???? You just said that only ESSENTIAL employees will be at work! Oh, I get it...wait until Wednesday! :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO:

But we are prepared at our house! Wood is in for the wood burning stove, which is our primary source of heat. I cooked meals ahead and we can warm them on the wood burning stove, if necessary. Diet coke, milk, and water on hand. Cookies, chips, and other junk food...just in case the grandkids are here. And, we have extended our home to all of our family...I mean my side of the family! :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO:

And, I just heard that Kansas City is now under a state of emergency! We are ready for Rocky!
Mary Kobe

Re: Blizzard of Oz on the way!!

Postby Angel135612 » February 25th, 2013, 9:59 pm

We had reports of a blizzard for Sunday, and we didn't get ANY snow... a little bit fell, but it didn't stick and I didn't even hear the wind blowing, so it couldn't have been blowing very hard. So if what we had in Colorado is heading your way, maybe it won't be as bad as they are predicting.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby kim » February 25th, 2013, 10:07 pm

Sounds like you are prepared, but stay safe. I guess by you only inviting "your side" of the family, that you didn't invite your BIL? :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: The only downside I can see to the situation is that without electricity, you won't be able to craft. BUMMER....to be snowed in and "nothing" to do, and you can't craft.

We got severe thunderstorms today and the phone kept ringing...giving warnings of severe thunderstorm warnings, tornado watch, then tornado warnings. Thankfully, it all passed with nothing happening at our house. Haven't been out anywhere to see if any damage anywhere else.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Mary Kobe » February 25th, 2013, 10:23 pm

kim---you REMEMBERED! No, they are on their "holiday" for two months in Floriday and South Carolina. (And their residence is in Canada!)

Oh, I have been cutting and cutting so that I can assemble without electricity! Got all the lights ready to go! DH made sure that we had lanterns so I could craft! Bless his heart!

And we have thundersnow and it is snowing like crazy!
Mary Kobe

Postby Gigi » February 25th, 2013, 11:24 pm

We will be thinking of you Mary and hoping all is well. So glad to hear you are well prepared on ALL levels. I was watching the news tonight and it definitely sounded like one heck of a storm.

Let us know how you are when you can - please. Sending hugs..... :bighug:
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby newbiecat » February 25th, 2013, 11:54 pm

Thinking of you hope that the storm isnt as bad as predicted

Good luck
Pandora
newbiecat

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet

Postby kmmhug » February 26th, 2013, 1:53 am

Glad you are set for the snow. You were smart to think ahead and cut today so you can keep crafting tomorrow! :D
Kathy
kmmhug

Cutter: Cougar 18" Cameo

Postby allandra42 » February 26th, 2013, 7:45 am

Girl I hope you dont lose electric. I hope those kids have enough wood in that house to keep you warm. Think you could hook your silver bullet to an exercise bike and hubby could paddle so you can you can cut? HAHA always thinking. I hope your ok seriously. I will be one of those essential employees at work if we get a blizzard... It is getting colder here in Ky but nothing much happening. Now post and show off some of that bling I know you have been making!!! I am waiting!!
Hours spent in my craftroom are considered by me "Time Well Spent"
Please visit my blog: http://timewellspentbylesa.blogspot.com/
allandra42

Cutter: 15 inch Cougar, 24 inch Silver Bullet

Postby rachellann » February 26th, 2013, 9:19 am

Mary you all take care and stay warm. We woke up to snow and no school for any of us going to just chill for the day. (I know not a good term to use in this weather).
Helping where I can when I can.
Using a 24" Silver Bullet Pro and also have a 18" Cougar
rachellann

Cutter: 18 Cougar, 24"Silver Bullet

Postby allandra42 » February 26th, 2013, 11:49 am

Marys power is off, she has plenty of wood for the fire and her kids are on their way over because they have no power either. Keep them in your thoughts, in that kind of weather being without power is kind of scary.
Hours spent in my craftroom are considered by me "Time Well Spent"
Please visit my blog: http://timewellspentbylesa.blogspot.com/
allandra42

Cutter: 15 inch Cougar, 24 inch Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » February 26th, 2013, 11:50 am

So glad thefamily will all be together - I think there is a lot of comfort in that.......

Thanks for letting us know Lesa.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby PennyDuncan » February 26th, 2013, 11:59 am

Oh WOW Mary!!!!! I pray you all remain safe...and praying you WON'T lose electricity!!!!! ;)
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby rachellann » February 26th, 2013, 1:47 pm

storm radar.JPG

From the looks of the radar they are not out of the storm yet some more heading their way.
I have circled where a bouts Mary is in red there is a blue pin where I an located we are still having snow here and looks like more to come but there are major rain and storms to the east so I am praying for all those in the path of this storm whether it is snow or rain.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Helping where I can when I can.
Using a 24" Silver Bullet Pro and also have a 18" Cougar
rachellann

Cutter: 18 Cougar, 24"Silver Bullet

Postby Elizabeth » February 26th, 2013, 2:29 pm

Wow, that is a big storm! Hope Mary is having fun being "holed up" with her family, and that the power is restored quickly. Sounds like they were totally prepared.

LOL on the cutting before the storm! Wouldn't want you to have to use scissors or anything! :ROFLMBO:
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Mary Kobe » February 26th, 2013, 3:18 pm

Thanks, everyone! The power came back on and I even took a little nap! My granddaughter told my husband to turn the tv on...and low and behold, the power came on immediately! If I knew that was all it took, I would have told her to say it as soon as they got here!

Linda is without power, so keep her in your prayers!
Mary Kobe

Postby kim » February 26th, 2013, 3:27 pm

Oh my! Glad you have your power on....and your granddaughter can watch TV! :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: I remember when we lost power during a hurricane and DS (who was somewhat still a little boy) discovered that no electricity (he understood no lights and no tv) also meant that there was also no DVD player. You should have seen his face!!! :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO:

Keeping Linda in my prayers. Hope she gets her power back on soon. But honestly, I would rather go without electricity (of course I don't live where it is FREEZING cold) but I have to have my water. Sorry, but I just can't live without being to flush. :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO:
kim

Postby Mary Kobe » February 26th, 2013, 3:55 pm

Kim, I actually thought about that water thing and flushing when our power was out! YUK!!!

It is so hard to be without power. All those "normal" things you do like turning on a light when you enter a room, open the fridge and there is no light, and, I even thought I would get into to scrapbook room and turn on the space heater.

Our driveway and street is plowed, thanks to our plow guy! We live on a dead end, so we always get plowed last by the city. Side streets have not been tackled yet. Not sure if I have to work tomorrow or not, but hoping not! :hide: :hide:

My step-son and his family have been without power since 6:00 this morning. I have invited them over, but they are stubborn! I told him that they cannot stay in their house without heat. If it does not come back on, they will go to her mom's.
Mary Kobe

Postby Suzan » February 26th, 2013, 4:11 pm

Since when can't you flush with out electricity. LOL
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Mary Kobe » February 26th, 2013, 4:28 pm

Oh, I did not mean that I could not flush without electricity...I meant that I was thinking that I would rather be without electricity than not being able to flush!
Mary Kobe

Postby kim » February 26th, 2013, 4:39 pm

electicity and flushing! LOL...the two don't mix. :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: Actually, when the power goes out down here during hurricane season, so can the water. I guess it has something to do with the pump. I can live without the convenience (if prepared ahead of time) without electricity. When we had a huge water leak and had to shut off our water until the plumber could get out (don't you know everything always breaks on a weekend, especially holiday weekends?). Luckily I got DH to not turn the water off until I was able to "store" a lot of jugs of water. (I keep plenty of empty jugs on hand for hurricane season) No, not for bathing or cooking. To be used for flushing and brushing teeth and for "bathing" from a dishpan.

I like the way Mary thinks!!! She was prepared!!
kim

Next

Return to Off Topic