Any one done a benefit for someone?

Any one done a benefit for someone?

Postby minorcustomcrafts » May 9th, 2012, 8:19 pm

So we are going to be doing a benefit for my BIL Nick who has been sick. You can read more about that in this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2395 We have no idea what we are doing. Does anyone have any suggestions? We were thinking of a food thing and then a silent auction. Does anyone know how to go about getting the food donated? Or where to get items for the silent auction? Just curious any input is welcome. You can also pm me or send me an email (in my profile).

TIA
minorcustomcrafts

Re: Any one done a benefit for someone?

Postby Retta » May 9th, 2012, 8:56 pm

This was what they did for my cousin - they had a haystack supper, donation only. They had businesses donating the food - haystacks are very inexpensive to make. They had lemonade for drink - also donated. One huge church supplied workers and the place to have it. Haystacks can include whatever you want, but it is like a glorified taco salad. base - Chips - like Taco, or Dorrito, then rice, tomatoes- diced, onion, green peppers, mushrooms, black olives, lettuce, beans, cheese, and then topping, salsa, western dressing or ranch - maybe sour cream. You can have all of these things or just some. People tend to donate more than what is requested.

They also had a bake sale and silent auction (including services from businesses) at the same event.

Highly publisized. They even did a story about my cousin and his wife.

Blessings, Honey. Did they find a match?

Retta
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby Retta » May 9th, 2012, 8:57 pm

They raised $36,000 from this. But they had a huge turnout.
Retta

Postby Gigi » May 9th, 2012, 10:53 pm

I have done a lot of fundraising event with silent auctions etc. Mine have all been with non profits but the work is basically the same. I am chairing one right now that will be this summer. There are lots of ways to raise money - you can even do a stay at home auction - no overhead that way and less hassle. Happy to help in any way. Feel free to email me at gigicacox.net

And people seem to really rally to get behind something like this. What a wonderful thing for you to do.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby CaseysAngel » May 10th, 2012, 1:20 am

silent auctions it looks like you covered

Spaghetti dinners seem to do better here. You can try to get local restaurants and groceries to help donate the food and depending on the town etc they usually will. Just stop in to each one with a list in hand of everything you think you will need. Try and provide a band at the meal it will help to bring more people in

50/50 raffles usually do very well also.

You can do a walk, similar to relay for life, Find people who are willing to walk in his honor and then have them take up donations from others to donate to teh cause. While at the walk you can set up craft stands , concessions, etc.

For Jayce ( a friends little boy) we have even made bumper stickers, bookmarks, and had those bracelets made and sold them for him. There's a bit of overhead on some of that though so not sure if that interest you.

Yard sales are GREAT benefits. We did one a few weeks ago for a homeless shelter here and our church did one for relay for life. Get everyone in town to bring donations to you and then use your churchs building to have it. That way you have tables available and it's indoors if it rains.

talent show- host a talent show and sell tickets for entry. These are fun and really involve kids it also helps to sell tickets because people ALWAYS love to see kid's.

BINGO!!!!! Get local businesses to donate prizes, gift cards, free meals, etc and host a bingo night You can charge for each game of bingo and in addition you can set up concession and make money off of it.

The baby bottle game- Hand out baby bottles to the different churchs. Have each church send a bottle home to it's members, one bottle per house, to put all their spare change in over the course of a couple weeks or a month( whatever time you set). Make sure there is a set date to return them and then you can pick them back up. You would be amazed at how much money this will bring in!! We does this for relay for life and hope unlimited (teen pregnancy center) here .

The thing to remember with fundraisers is you have GOT to get the word out there. Put it in the paper, hang signs, get it on the TV, newsppaper etc. The more people you can reach the better off you will be. Also be sure you set a price but also let everyone know that donations ARE accepted. You'd think it's a given for people to know that but you would be surprised.
CaseysAngel

Postby CaseysAngel » May 10th, 2012, 1:26 am

oh I didn't answer your question but if you can't tell Yes I have done my fair share of benefits. They are a lot of work but so worth while!!!
CaseysAngel

Postby Retta » May 10th, 2012, 1:34 am

Just remember if doing Bingo, there are some places you have to have special permits. Here in Indiana it use to be that way. Wonderful ideas though.
Retta

Postby LisaH » May 10th, 2012, 8:31 am

Another one is a pancake breakfast...breakfast is the cheapest meal to make so you make the most profit off of it...do pancakes and sausage (links) and get with local grocery stores to supply the basics...this can be combined with a raffle or silent auction. You can also do "breakfast" for dinner/supper...I know our lodge has raised most of their money doing these.
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Gigi » May 10th, 2012, 9:50 am

One other thought - as Retta mentioned with the permits, a lot depends on your area. There are things that work better in different communities so relying on that knowledge will ensure success. Also knowing how much you hope to raise can determine what kind of event you want to do. Walks are probably the least financial outlay, but again there are permits with those depending on streets you are crossing etc. Some communities are saturated with walks - some aren't. Walks need a lot of volunteers on hand to register, monitor the walk etc, but the cash outlay is minimal as you an usually get a business or a grocery store to donate water , fruit and/or energy bars for the walkers.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby minorcustomcrafts » May 10th, 2012, 10:44 am

Thank you all for all of your ideas. My head is swimming now. I think for sure we will do a silent auction and a raffle. I think I am going to get some magnet ribbons made and maybe a bracelet also. Now we just need to decide on the food. That Haystack thing sounds really good.
minorcustomcrafts

Return to Off Topic