internet crashing...

internet crashing...

Postby sandmor1 » December 29th, 2011, 11:04 pm

I wonder if anyone else has had this problem....

I can work on my laptop pc for any length of time with no problem but as soon as my husband turns his laptop on, we loose the internet connection.

This is a wireless router and less than 6 months old. It is in a different room to where we work but up until a week ago it was all working well and no changes have been made to anything in the house. The router is on a window sill (always has been) and no other electrical items are anywhere near it.

The ISP rep tried for nearly 2 hours last evening to get to the bottom of it and took remote control of my laptop to look for a problem but when I suggested he check my husband's he said there was no need. The problem has now been passed over to the technical dept who are calling back this morning (we live in the UK) and will hopefully be able to find out what the problem is.

Both of our pcs are less than 2 yrs old and work on Win7 64bit.

The only ideas we have are...the router has developed a fault and can't cope with 2 pcs. or something is wrong with my husband's pc.

If anyone else has experienced the problem I would like to know how it was solved. Maybe it would help when the techie calls us later today.

Thank you
Sandra
sandmor1

Re: internet crashing...

Postby minorcustomcrafts » December 29th, 2011, 11:13 pm

We did use to have this problem. It was after I got my new windows 7 pc. Our router was in the basement hooked up to the desktop. I used a laptop upstairs. No problems. I got my computer our old laptop and my new laptop would fight over the connection. Then our microwave would start to interfere if both computers were running (the stairs are by the microwave and the router was at the bottom of the stairs). We decided we would not use the desktop as much so we disconnected it and moved it upstairs into the living room where we use the computers. We do not have any problems now, except when the company is having problems.
minorcustomcrafts

Postby sandmor1 » December 29th, 2011, 11:34 pm

Thanks Trisha, our microwave is in the room below the router but at the opposite end of the room so not directly beneath it. Also our microwave hasn't been turned on in 3 days, plugged in and ready to go, yes, but not actually turned on.
But all this crashing has just suddenly started to happen with no changes made to anything or to anywhere in the house.

All very annoying
sandmor1

Postby minorcustomcrafts » December 29th, 2011, 11:38 pm

I have heard windows 7 fights for the wireless signal. I only have 1 computer with windows 7, but maybe yours is just stronger and does not want him online :) I dont know if the weather can affect the wireless signal either?
minorcustomcrafts

Postby sandmor1 » December 30th, 2011, 12:04 am

Not wanting him online ?...Win7 or me personally... !! Probably both (lol)
I guess we will just have to wait and see what the techie says when he calls later. In the meantime I can carry on as normal and tell DH he will just have to wait until the problem is fixed before he can use his laptop. (I still believe the problem lies with his pc anyway...a virus maybe?)
sandmor1

Postby Gigi » December 30th, 2011, 12:47 am

My son and I are running three computers on Win 7 and a wireless router with no problems> Curious what make your router is as I had an awful time with one well known company and when I switched the problems went away - just curious.

Also wondered if you were exceeding your bandwith, but think the ISP rep would have addressed that if you were.......

Hope you get it worked out soon - for both of your sakes!!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby CaseysAngel » January 3rd, 2012, 12:17 pm

I have this problem off and on and my internet people have never figured it out I swear it's on their end because it mysteriously disappears after a while. I always have freaky stuff happen though For the past week or so I have to log into the forum 50 times to try and make a post or read and even then sometimes it doesn't work. It will constantly tell me I have to be logged in as I go from page to page or try to post It's not the forum, it's my computer it's done this before, but I it's very frustrating

I hope they get you figured out soon!!!! We are running two with windows 7 and one with xp and have the same problem occassionally but usually it's okay!
CaseysAngel

Return to Off Topic