Let me explain why I have been sooooooo

Let me explain why I have been sooooooo

Postby pigtailpat » November 8th, 2011, 4:00 pm

MIA..........

about a month going on now or so ago, I was talking with my sisters-in-law about sewing in general and I asked if my MIL's sewing machine was even working (she is pretty advanced in age and can't use it anymore). To my surprise, both of my SIL's wanted me to have the machine - I thought they wanted it.

So this machine came home and it is a 15-30 machine born in 1920 and I named her Wadia after my husband's grandmother, who was the original owner of the machine. You can see my restoration work on this machine at: http://photobucket.com/pat-150

Wadia came in a very, very shaky cabinet, really icky. So off I went in search of a new cabinet. To my utter delight, I found a singer art deco cabinet 42, but it came with yet another machine, a 15-91 from 1941. So, I cleaned the cabinet and the 15-91 (who is Matilda), and the results are stunning, which you can see at: http://photobucket.com/pat-15-91

Last, as I was looking and looking, a 221 featherweight also fell into my lap and I got her quite by accident (she is Alicia) and her restoration can be found at: http://photobucket.com/pat-featherweight

So.......

this madness was the only reason why I have not been so active here, and I will be playing anew with my kitty soon, as I do need to make two urgent cards, and x-mas again is with us........

Love and miss all of you...........

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Re: Let me explain why I have been sooooooo

Postby CeCeCreates » November 8th, 2011, 4:26 pm

Wow, that is sooo awesome! I must say that though that it makes me ache for my mother's old Singer machine, etc., and I have no idea where it is now. I'll pretend that you ended up with it, and that makes me happy! :D
CeCeCreates

Cutter: Black Cat 13 inch

Postby Retta » November 8th, 2011, 4:29 pm

awesome Pat!!! We did miss you!
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby kim » November 8th, 2011, 5:01 pm

oh, now you are making me wonder what ever happened to my grandmother's old singer sewing machine. I have fond memories of learning to sew with it. I started out with aprons and my grandmother had a life time supply of aprons. I think there are still a few in the house, even though she has passed away now.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Gigi » November 8th, 2011, 6:05 pm

What a great story, Pat.

Thanks for sharing. It's good to see you here again!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby sherri » November 8th, 2011, 7:57 pm

Good grief Pat..do you do anything small?
Sherri Jensen
That's Scrap, Inc.
sherri

Postby pigtailpat » November 8th, 2011, 10:13 pm

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh but sherri, at least this did not cost me big money! All financed with **change** money saved over weeks and months, and the sale of the expression. Didn't hurt me a bit! The FW was $100, and the art deco cabinet with the 15-91 was $125, and of course my MIL's machine was free.

I was starting to despair of ever being able to afford a machine capable of quilting, as my singer 1022 would not be a good machine for that (the feed dogs don't drop). Modern machines for quilting, my lord, has everyone gone crazy!! Thousands of dollars! Multiple thousands - that is wayyyyyyy too much for me to even consider. I had been saving everything I can (and depriving myself of paper..that hurt!)

So, by happy coincidence, or help from above, this stuff fell into my lap, for such little money - make it possible for me to grow my skills.

The 15-30 sews like a champ, that machine can eat anything (even though she doesn't look as nice as the others). I expect no less of the 15-91 (haven't tested that one yet), and the FW has already surpassed my expectations.

I'm posting so that others might be inspired to find a way to pursue a dream. If its not sewing, or perhaps something else, somehow it will be there for you, I know it.

Though, even though I did all this, I really can't wait to get back to papercrafting. I miss it too. Why is there not enough hours to do everything?

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Suzan » November 8th, 2011, 10:45 pm

Wow I can see your love for these machines. I had my grandmothers old singer, for awhile, not a clue what my parents did with it. But it sewed like you wouldn't believe.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby kate3 » November 8th, 2011, 10:49 pm

Good to have you back Pat. I wish I had been on that journey with you. I often wonder what happened to my mothers and grandmothers old machines as I would love them.
kate3

Postby whizzy » November 9th, 2011, 12:15 am

They are lovely — I inherited my MIL's Singer Treadle machine many years ago & recently gave it to one of my DDs.
www.scrapsofstuff.com
Mac OS X 10.9, Windows 7
Inkscape, Signcut Pro (with dongle) & Scal3  tiny bites! )
whizzy

Cutter: 18" Cougar

Postby Thyme » November 9th, 2011, 5:10 am

Oh I am very jealous!!
Thyme

Postby Elizabeth » November 9th, 2011, 11:26 am

So cool, Pat! Great score on the Featherweight! Glad you are back with us.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Return to Off Topic