Snowfall - 14 inches and counting!

Snowfall - 14 inches and counting!

Postby Elizabeth » October 29th, 2011, 8:53 pm

Yes, you read that right! We just measured, and the snow, which has been falling fast since about 2:00 this afternoon, is at 14 inches. I can hardly believe it! We are all tucked in cozy and warm and are waiting for the power to go out. I just read on our local news site that 80,000 homes in the state are without power, so it is very likely that we will lose ours.

We typically get a lot of snow during Nor'Easters, due to our location on the easterly side of a very small Mountain range, but not in OCTOBER! I'm kind of lovin' it, although it has thrown a monkey wrench in my parents' travel plans and shortened their visit with us.

Hubby has a brand new snowblower to play with tomorrow, but since he will have to go to work, I'm not sure when he will get to use it. He works for the local phone company, and it will be an "all hands on deck" situation tomorrow, as they work to restore service. He has already gone to bed, so I'm kind of guessing that he plans to get up at 4:00AM to clear out the driveway before he leaves. It is 500 feet of "downhill" from the house, so leaving is not the issue. Its getting back home that can be a problem.

I hope to do some sledding with the kids tomorrow, provided I can haul my out of shape behind back up the hill a few times. Hope you all have a fun weekend!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: Snowfall - 14 inches and counting!

Postby JeannetteC » October 29th, 2011, 9:10 pm

I love fresh snow, but not yet!!!!! Hopefully it doesn't stay too long. Have fun sledding tomorrow!
JeannetteC

Postby Phyllis » October 29th, 2011, 9:25 pm

Oh my Elizabeth, that's a lot of snow and way too early. I love fresh snow too as long as I can just look at it through the window. Have fun sledding.
Phyllis

Postby Gigi » October 29th, 2011, 11:30 pm

Oh my goodness! Being a Southern California native I cannot even imagine that. I bet it is beautiful.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Elizabeth » October 30th, 2011, 7:36 am

Its beautiful! The sun is out now, and the combination of the snow and the fall foliage is a rare and wonderful sight!
I went out quickly to measure, and found that just over 21 inches of snow fell between yesterday afternoon and 5:00 am this morning.

We have no electricity right now, so I will log off to conserve battery power for emergencies. I'll post a photo later.

Have a terrific Sunday!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Elizabeth

Postby Gigi » October 30th, 2011, 3:04 pm

OMG!!! I heard that a lot of people have been without power for over 24 hours - yikes.

Just be safe and check in as you can.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby kate3 » October 31st, 2011, 10:08 am

Sounds gorgeous but I know it can be a pest too. Every time you guys have weird weather something happens here. We usually want to die in the heat wave in Summer but last summer we only had 2 swimming days. If that happens again this summer I am filling in my pool. My dog thinks it is his water bowl anyway.
kate3

Postby newbiecat » October 31st, 2011, 4:22 pm

Since almost the whole of the UK ground to a halt last year when we had about 6 inches of snow.........the idea of so much snow is awesome

Have fun and be safe - from a very dark and soggy London

Pandora
newbiecat

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet

Postby Retta » October 31st, 2011, 6:57 pm

Hope your electric is restored!!! Stay warm. I have to admit it is not pretty to me any more! Not sure why I live in Indiana. LOL
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby CeCeCreates » October 31st, 2011, 7:03 pm

Hope you and all the others get your power back soon. Stay safe and warm. Looking forward to those pix.
CeCeCreates

Cutter: Black Cat 13 inch

Postby CaseysAngel » October 31st, 2011, 9:24 pm

oh I am so jealous!!!!!!!! LOL Sorry but I LOVE the snow!!!!!
CaseysAngel

Postby kim » October 31st, 2011, 11:04 pm

I LOVE snow, but I have never had to shovel it. We only visit Snow. And I have never suffered from loss of power from it either. I bet that can get VERY uncomfortable. Hope yours gets back on REALLY soon.

We get snow where I live very infrequently, but when it does snow, we all love it. We don't get a ton of the stuff, but it can play havoc with driving as most don't know how to drive in it.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Elizabeth » November 2nd, 2011, 12:36 pm

Hi everyone, Our power came back yesterday. Others are still without power, and it may be out for some time to come. We are quite used to losing our power for multiple days, and have a system for dealing with it, including a generator, gas appliances and a wood furnace. I feel for the folks in areas that do not often experience power outages, who might be struggling like this for the first time.

I love the excitement of a snowstorm, but I would rather wait until December for the first snowfall. It will seem like a very long winter this year!

I hope that this is the last weird weather event for any of us, at least for the rest of the year. It seems to have been a crazy year for weather all over the world.

Elizabeth

Postby Gigi » November 2nd, 2011, 2:14 pm

Glad to hear you have power back Elizabeth and are ok. Thanks for letting us know.

I cannot even imagine what you have been through - please stay safe.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby CeCeCreates » November 2nd, 2011, 6:01 pm

Oh, you are well equipped indeed. That's good. And yes, I fear it will be a long winter for many of us. :(
CeCeCreates

Cutter: Black Cat 13 inch

Return to Off Topic