Walmart to offer layaway for the holidays so the news says

Walmart to offer layaway for the holidays so the news says

Postby CaseysAngel » September 9th, 2011, 8:43 am

That ought to make Black Friday shopping really wild!!!!!! That will bring out more and more people who didn't have the money before but will be able to shop now and use layaway. I'm a bit split on how I feel about it personally. I usually save and save and do most of my shopping that day for my kid's, the shelter, and everyone else. With them opening layaway it's going to be busier this year than it usually is and being pregnant I'm just not sure I want to fight them!!!!!
On the other hand I think it's great for those who really need to get stuff their children want that day or something but need a bit longer to pay. I know I've been there a few times myself and that layaway can really save you.

What do you think? Think it will make it even wilder or do you feel people won't really use it? I know when ours use to have it before (I think they only still had it one year since I started shopping that day) the line was always HUGE and I personally wouldn't want to wait in it but know if I needed to in order to get the huge price discount on something for my children I probably would.LOL
CaseysAngel

Re: Walmart to offer layaway for the holidays so the news sa

Postby Suzan » September 9th, 2011, 9:00 am

Black Friday's are against my religion LOL. I avoid it like the plague. I have a friend that gets up at midnight to start hitting the stores. But lay away is great I have had to use it a few times my self.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby pigtailpat » September 9th, 2011, 9:10 am

I totally agree with suzan. Black friday is avoided by me, only in the most extreme circumstances I would do it. Christy, with the lay away thing, I think your instincts are right, it will make black friday worse. My kids are now of an age where it is extremely difficult to shop for them. 24, 17 and 15 is tough. So the shopping part for the holidays is really a minimum nowadays for me.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Angel135612 » September 9th, 2011, 9:14 am

I hate to shop, unless it is for crafting supplies. LOL I usually have to work on Black Friday anyway, but even if I was off, I wouldn't go any where NEAR the stores. Honestly, there isn't anything on sale for any price that I would want to waste my time standing in line for hours on end.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Retta » September 9th, 2011, 9:15 am

My girlfriends get me to drive them around as they hit the stores. My kids are bigger too, and those bigger items are never in the stores, they say they only have a few and then give out vouchers. So not worth it. I don't mind helping them though and I don't have to go in.
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby LisaH » September 9th, 2011, 9:18 am

I haven't been to Black Friday in about 5 to 7 years, since my kids have gotten older. I would probably use layaway, but just go ahead and do it without the discount on BF....not worth what discounts you get for the headache and hassle now...I'm just too old!
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby CaseysAngel » September 9th, 2011, 9:22 am

well ya'll are a bunch of party poopers.lmbo
CaseysAngel

Postby LisaH » September 9th, 2011, 10:50 am

I just don't have young ones any more, but lemme tell ya, when I did, I was one of the ones in the front of the line! I just don't HAVE to any more, so I don't. It was fun but tiring when I used to go...
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Suzan » September 9th, 2011, 10:58 am

I agree with Lisa, Not having little ones, I don't have to do it. Plus I try and buy decorations and stuff after the holidays for the next year. I rarely get three day weekends, or 4 day weekends. So I stay at home and hide and usually watch my girlfriends son so she can go crazy shopping.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Elizabeth » September 9th, 2011, 12:49 pm

I always go Black Friday Shopping with my in-laws. We don't get up early, just head for the little mall near their house when everyone is up and around. We have lunch, and poke around, and my kids pick out their gifts from DH's side of the family. I usually have my shopping all done by then, so I enjoy poking around. Almost every year we run into old friends to visit with. So even though shopping is not one of my favorite activities, I really enjoy Black Friday.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby CeCeCreates » September 9th, 2011, 3:58 pm

Oh Black Friday is one of my family's traditions!! We love it! We get up early, but we don't usually go to the Best Buy type stores. We go to a local store called Elder Beerman, they usually have good buys and good coupons, and another store called Kohls. Kohls is great. They don't exclude anything from coupons. The girls and I shop and the men usually stand in line after they quickly pick out an assortment of things they might like to have that I can pick from. It makes my money go so much further. And with the men to stand in line and carry packages, well, it all works out pretty well. Then we go home and take naps, and then go downtown for music and a tree lighting ceremony. Good times.
CeCeCreates

Cutter: Black Cat 13 inch

Postby Gigi » September 9th, 2011, 5:13 pm

I am hit and miss on Black Friday - more miss!!! I do so much online shopping that I rarely feel the necessity to fight the crowds. I don't like fighting for a parking space and "things"! LOL Last year I was at my daughter's for Thanksgiving, so we went out the next day and got her a new wardrobe (pretty much!!) That was fun but the lines were long and it would not be something I would want to do every year!

I try to do a lot of comparison shopping online and then see the best deal, but I do so much shopping early (for the grandkids mainly) that I just don't want to go out that day! And I make as much as I can for the neighbors and friends which helps too!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby kim » September 9th, 2011, 8:47 pm

I avoid the stores on Black Friday. Thanksgiving is the one holiday that my whole family, cousins, aunts, etd get together from all over. We just enjoy each other's company which beats shopping any day!! I just can't think of anything at the stores that I want bad enough to tackle the crowds or stand in line for. DS was always wierd and wanted shoes for Christmas when he was little. He was always into sports and never did want the hard to get toys. When I used to live in a city, I used to do the "call every store" in the metroplex to see if they had the "hot" toy of the year for nieces and nephews. My sister in law would call and tell me what she was trying to find and somehow, someway I would find it. One year it was a Criss Cross Crash set....trying saying that 10 times in a row!

I would imagine that with layaway, Walmart is going to be even crazier! I remember being pregnant (due any day) and trying to Christmas shop. I got stuck inbetween aisles because they moved the racks of stuff at the department store closer to fit more stuff in and I couldn't get through. I finally told DH to just get me out of there and home. He was in charge of shopping for Christmas. I don't know that I would want to be pregnant and shopping during Black Friday. Those women get crazy with the pushing and shoving.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Sassycutter » September 9th, 2011, 8:52 pm

I'm one of the fuddy duddies :ROFLMBO: I'd almost rather pay double or just do without than deal with Black Friday. When my kids were little, I used Walmart layaway all year round. I put their school supplies on layaway and then they couldn't use them before school started. I also bought clothes throughout the year and usually put them on layaway. I know layaway is a hassle, but it really helped a young family with only one small income ;)
So much paper, so little time....
Sassycutter

Cutter: 13" Black Cat and Foilmaster

Postby Gigi » September 10th, 2011, 10:52 am

Sassycutter wrote:I'm one of the fuddy duddies :ROFLMBO: I'd almost rather pay double or just do without than deal with Black Friday. When my kids were little, I used Walmart layaway all year round. I put their school supplies on layaway and then they couldn't use them before school started. I also bought clothes throughout the year and usually put them on layaway. I know layaway is a hassle, but it really helped a young family with only one small income ;)

I am with you - would rather pay more than deal with all of the hassle and those who are so RUDE on Black Friday!!! I always admire those who go out and fight the crowds - am just glad it's not me!!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby kate3 » September 10th, 2011, 11:16 am

What is Black Friday? I thought it meant Friday the 13th but there isn't one this month.
We have big stores here that are having 50% off sales at this time of the year. You can also use layaway or we call it lay-by with no deposit until Christmas. My niece uses that for her family. I went with her once and I thought I would be killed in the rush. I have never seen a lay-by line that long so never again or so many bare shelves.
I love online shopping if I have to shop.
kate3

Postby Gigi » September 10th, 2011, 11:32 am

Kate -

It's the Friday after Thanksgiving when all of the stores have amazing sales and most of them open at 5 AM - some earlier - and many have super sales in the early morning hours - it's sheer craziness!! LOL We now also have Cyber Monday where the same thing is repeated onine on the Monday after Thanksgiving. Just one more retail scam to get us all to spend money!! LOL Actually you can find some really good deals if you are willing to fight the crowds for them!!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby kate3 » September 10th, 2011, 10:40 pm

CAGigi wrote:Kate -

It's the Friday after Thanksgiving when all of the stores have amazing sales and most of them open at 5 AM - some earlier - and many have super sales in the early morning hours - it's sheer craziness!! LOL We now also have Cyber Monday where the same thing is repeated onine on the Monday after Thanksgiving. Just one more retail scam to get us all to spend money!! LOL Actually you can find some really good deals if you are willing to fight the crowds for them!!

Gigi, That explains it, we don't have Thanksgiving. Who would we thank? The UK for sending us out as convicts for years of hard labour for doing something incredibly bad like stealing mouldy bread because we were starving? Lol, I suppose we should thank them for sending us to a much nicer place. I am from a bad lot, my family had a ships officer and 2 convicts on the First Fleet. I have to wonder if the ships officer knew he was going to be related to the convicts? :ROFLMBO:
I thought you guys had some secret holiday I didn't know about. Our stores do weird things too to get people in. I remember years ago before my daughter was born K-Mart stayed open 24 hours just before Christmas. I remember thinking who would want to shop at 3.00AM and then my neighbour asked me to take her.
All of the staff were dressed in their pj's. At 3.00AM the place was packed. I didn't like shopping in the day time never mind when I wanted to be asleep. If I had known the staff were wearing pj's I would have left mine on as well and I would have been tired, grumpy and comfortable. :banghead:
kate3

Postby Gigi » September 10th, 2011, 11:24 pm

LOL Kate - I figured that was why you hadn't heard of it - it's clearly a US "tradition" - for lack of a better word!

That is funny about the pjs - I would have wanted to do the same thing! That was really nice of you to take your friend..... hope you don't have to do that again!!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby JeannetteC » September 12th, 2011, 8:17 am

Canada has Thanksgiving, but in October, and no Black Friday. I have to admit dh and I go to Detroit for Black Friday, (well often the Saturday unless he can get the Friday off) and Boxing Day. I refuse to get up early and stand in line at some ridiculous hour to get 1 of 3 of some item! Dh used to have to work Boxing Day at a Future Shop (Best Buy), and he told me how he was wheeling a skid back into the warehouse empty, within 5 minutes of the door opening. Surprising, by 10 or 12 the stores we go to in the outskirts of Detroit aren't bad at all. I was braced for craziness the first time we went, but was pleasantly surprised. I find our local stores here, much worse on any day from now until Christmas. They say Canadians are friendly, but just observe the parking lot at the mall, Wal-Mart or Costco, especially in the fall. I'm not a shopper, and if it wasn't for our annual Black Friday blitz, I don't know what I would do.
JeannetteC

Next

Return to Off Topic