Cutting "Stitched" objects or shapes

Cutting "Stitched" objects or shapes

Postby Adriennewot » June 19th, 2020, 11:08 am

I have sent 3 requests for help to Craft Edge support regarding an issue I am having, with no response. Most likely, it is “operator error”, as I am not particularly savvy in the use of my wonderful SCAL 4 Pro (latest ver. 4.08) system. I have pored over the tutorials and searched the forum to no avail (that I can understand). SO, I would appreciate some help with this:

There are many die cuts on the market for hand crank cutters – “stitched rectangles”, “stitched hearts”, “stitched circles” and the like, in which one cuts a solid outer line, with an inner scored or dotted line cut 1/8” to ¼” inside the main cut. These things cost a fortune and I have spent my share of money on them, before realizing there was a way to create them in SCAL. Or so I thought. Clearly, I am doing something wrong.

I create, for example, a 6” square, solid cut line. I then create a 5.75” square, dotted or scored cut line, centered over the 6” square. The preview and cut screens BOTH “say” the score AND solid cut lines will be cut (it makes no difference whether or not I group the 2 objects). I send the project to the cutter (24" Silver Bullet professional). Only the outer, SOLID line is cut. I have done this at least 12 times, with the same result. Please see attached screenshots.

Any assistance (in simple, plain English, please) would be appreciated. Thank you. Adrienne

Note: SCAL forum admin attempted to troubleshoot the problem with me. She has a Zing machine and the settings I described worked for her on her machine - inside "stitched" (scored) rectangle and outside solid cut rectangle were both cut properly. I made some changes she recommended, to no avail. Outside solid cut rectangle was the only one that cut.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Adrienne

"Perhaps imagination is only intelligence having fun."
— George Scialabba in Harvard Magazine, 1984
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2017/03/0 ... more-15588
Adriennewot

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24"

Re: Cutting "Stitched" objects or shapes

Postby Gigi » June 19th, 2020, 11:37 am

It should work easily - designing is the hardest part and you have done that. For now, ungroup your images because I want you to check something. Now select the dotted line section (you can select one at a time or all of them) and be sure when you click on the wrench icon it says "cut". It looks like that is what you did- just restating it. I see no reason why it wouldn't cut both I just made a circle and put a smaller circle on the inside, changed the line to a dotted line and hit cut in WYSIWYG and it cut the dotted line first and then the outer circle. Your dotted line is really close to the outer cut line. What if you tried one of them and just moved the dotted line in a bit so there is a little more spacing between the cut line and the dotted line. I have about 1/4" between mine which is too much, but I just wanted to see if it would work without an issue. I am using SCAL PRO 5, but that shouldn't make a difference.

Just made it tighter with about 1/16" of an inch and it cuts both fine. Do you want to upload the file so one of us can try it (you will have to upload as an svg) or you can email it to me at gigi@silverbulletcutters.com

From what you are showing I see no reason why it wont work. Are you sure you have both of the layers open when you are cutting? I know it looks like you do -just grasping at straws without seeing the file........
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to Sure Cuts A Lot