Problem node editing

Problem node editing

Postby Bikeracer » January 7th, 2020, 2:48 pm

I've had about 15/20 software crashes today on my Mac

If I go wrong editing a node and go to the undo button then Scal5 crashes.
Frequently click on a node to edit it and when I click on one of the handles to make a curve it seems to put another node there, or a node further round the path will move to a different place
Just unpredictable and frustrating and very time consuming.

Got some anomalies when I go to Windows 7 as well.

I'm thinking that I'll have to get back into Inkscape again and just use Scal for the actual cutting.
Feeling really frustrated with it at the moment and beginning to see why I used Inkscape before.

Oh well, at least I've got a spare Silver Bullet 13" now that I got the 18" one last weekend. For some strange reason the 18" one was originally supplied with two A4 size mats which are not really of much use to me.

Allan
Bikeracer

Cutter: !3" Silver Bullet

Re: Problem node editing

Postby Gigi » January 7th, 2020, 4:20 pm

Allan -

I just played with node editing and I cannot get SCAL 5 to crash. Instead of hitting undo, can you try Control Z? I am on a PC so not sure if that is the difference. I have not heard of anyone having trouble with SCAL 5 crashing. Could you have a program running in the background that is making it crash? Have you reached out to Brandon at Craft Edge? I don't have access to a Mac so can only respond from things I am trying on my PC. I will ask one of the other support people if they have heard of SCAL 5 crashing on a Mac since I have not that I recall and we have a lot of Mac users.

I would recommend contacting Brandon at Craftedge (info@craftedge.com) to see if he has a solution or other ideas.

And if you received the incorrect mat(s) for the 18" machine, please contact Sherri and she will rectify that. (sherri@silverbulletcutters.com).
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby MeFlick » January 7th, 2020, 4:22 pm

I'm sorry for your frustrations. If I were experiencing Crashes with SCAL5, I would reach out to Craftedge support to report them and see if they have any help or insight as to the issue. That would be true for either Mac or Windows 7 platforms. Learning to edit at the Node level with any software has a fairly large learning curve. it is compounded by the fact that each program handles it differently. Inkscape offers its own frustrations. My suggestion there is to simply decide which program you want to spend the time learning to work with for editing/creating purposes and spend the time needed to learn to do it as you need. Scrappydew (Rob) has a great learning program for SCAL if you would like to make that investment in his classroom for it. https://classroom.scrappydew.com Glad you got a backup machine.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Bikeracer » January 7th, 2020, 4:29 pm

I recently installed a Wacom tablet and because I still have a mouse atteched I'm now wondering if there's a conflict there.
I'll disconnect the tablet and see if the problem is still there.
Thanks to all for the suggestions.

I have contacted support about it.

Allan
Bikeracer

Postby Bikeracer » January 7th, 2020, 4:34 pm

Gigi wrote:Allan -

And if you received the incorrect mat(s) for the 18" machine, please contact Sherri and she will rectify that. (sherri@silverbulletcutters.com).

It's a used machine I've aquired originally from Thyme Graphics, just can't understand why anyone would have two such small mats with an 18" machine.

Allan
Bikeracer

Postby Gigi » January 7th, 2020, 5:44 pm

Allan -

My error about the 18" machine. Since it was used, it could just be that the person preferred using a smaller mat. I often use much smaller mats in my 24" quite often if I am cutting a smaller material - it can be easier for any number of reasons. (I have mats of all sizes and use all of them at different times!) So that may have been a personal preference. You can always get larger mats if those are what you prefer. We each use our machine(s) for different reasons and thus develop our own "favorite ways" to create.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MeFlick » January 7th, 2020, 7:56 pm

Yes, part of the problem could be with the Wacom tablet and sensitivity and/or conflict with the mouse and it if both attached to use. I never did get comfortable with my tablet unfortunately. I also have an 18ā€¯ machine, but like Gigi, use different sizes of mats depending upon what I am cutting. I only use the biggest size of mat needed for what I am cutting then. Often, only a small mat is needed.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby Bikeracer » January 8th, 2020, 2:52 am

Tried things again with and without the Wacom tablet and nothing conclusive but I had a brief node editing session without problems and I'm leaning towards operator error.

I did notice that on one occasion when I clicked on a node to move it that the whole cutting line image comprising several different paths moved as if they had all been selected, when I tried the undo button that's when a crash occured.
That's why I'm beginning to think it's operator error.

So much to learn using the empirical method that I think it must be "the empire strikes back" in my case. :banghead:

Allan
Bikeracer

Postby MeFlick » January 8th, 2020, 7:54 am

Glad you are getting it sorted some. You will prevail. ;) Node editing and moving and reshaping nodes and lines is not for the faint of heart, especially when you are just learning. It can be very frustrating, I recall. I can do the basics fairly easily, but more then that and I know the pain. :)
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby Gigi » January 8th, 2020, 9:49 am

Totally agree with Melanie. I shudder whenever I have to edit nodes - I just don't like to do it! Still perplexed as to why the program is crashing. Did you reach out to Brandon at CraftEdge? He might be able to shed some light on it for you. Hang in there. I have the utmost respect for anyone even willing to work on node editing. You will get it.

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Sure Cuts A Lot