registration marks outside print area

registration marks outside print area

Postby Bikeracer » December 11th, 2019, 8:37 am

I'm loading an image done on A4 size.
I import it into Scal and don't see how to get just the printed image and not the whole A4 image inside the registration marks.
I keep seeing that the registration marks are outside the printable area.
I print everything out on an A4 file and don't want to alter the scale of the image.
Can't remember having this problem before so I must be missing something.
Is it possible to move the registration marks.

Any help would be appreciated.

Allan
Bikeracer

Cutter: !3" Silver Bullet

Re: registration marks outside print area

Postby Gigi » December 11th, 2019, 10:49 am

Allan -

Is your image a png or jpg? They can trace differently and some images need the white background removed. I have not had issues in later versions of SCAL but I did in earlier versions. I assume you brought the image into SCAL and did a trace image. Is it tracing the image and also the background? If so you can break apart the image after you save it as an svg and remove the white "rectangle" and then merge the image to cut just that. I am making a lot of assumptions but if that is the issue, that can be one way to fix it. If you would like to upload the image or send it to me I would be happy to look at it so I am sure I am walking you through the right issue and not creating a new one! (gigi@silverbulletcutters.com if you wish to email it)

Yes you can move your registration marks closer to your image. I am running SCAL Pro 5 but as I recall this is in the same place in all versions so I am hoping. Click on Cutter> Cutter Settings and you will see a pop up box - on the right is everything referring to the registration marks. The last option is changing the offset for the registration marks. You can decrease the number and it will move the registration marks closer to the image.

Let me know if I am addressing the issue and helping at all. Sometimes it is difficult when I am not looking at what you are! So feel free to email or upload it. Thank you.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Bikeracer » December 11th, 2019, 11:44 am

Gigi...

Thanks for the offer of help.
I'll have another look at things shortly, the image is a skull to make an airbrush stencil with (I hope!).
It is a png. image. Just something simple A4 size to get used to things again. I used the trace feature as well so I had two layers to play with.

I'm trying the trial Scal5 at the moment but it seems to have some bugs or it could be just me..... tools pointer that refuses to change from the one I'm using and then the image disappeared from view on the mat but was there in the preview.

If I can't sort it I'll take you up on your offer and email the image to you.

Allan
Bikeracer

Postby Gigi » December 11th, 2019, 12:20 pm

Ok Allan. Happy to help.

As I said earlier, since you mention having two layers, I am thinking you have a background that you are dealing with that is making your image larger and possibly out of bounds of the printer margins so perhaps that is the second layer you are talking about.

If you are in outline view you wont see the png or jpg image on the mat - just the cutlines. So check the view you have selected. Also when you trace, click on the bottom check that says "add image layer.

Happy to help if you need it. Glad you are willing to try to troubleshoot because I really believe trial and error is the best teacher. But - I don't want you getting so frustrated that you are hitting your head against the wall! (been there...done that!!) We are here if you need backup! :)

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Bikeracer » December 11th, 2019, 1:26 pm

Thanks Gigi,

I found the cutter settings to alter the registration mark positions.
Just had a reply back from Craftedge and need an extra $15 for a cross platform licence to use Scal5 on the same computer.
Once again, thanks for your help.

Allan
Bikeracer

Postby Gigi » December 11th, 2019, 2:38 pm

You are very welcome. Good luck.

Gigi
Gigi