SCAL 5!

SCAL 5!

Postby pigtailpat » July 4th, 2018, 6:42 am

As if Sherri's new information on her latest cutter wasn't enough excitement around here, apparently SCAL 5 was released yesterday.

The biggest feature on SCAL 5 for me is the new import of EMBROIDERY files. Think print and cut for fabric, but in reverse, you work backwards from the embroidery file to make a cut of the fabric, to be later finished off with thread via the embroidery machine and the embroidery file (applique) Truth be told, I haven't done that much with embroidery yet, but it is there for me when I am ready. Some embroidery programs will do this already - it will make a cut file on the other side inside the embroidery program to be exported to cutting software and the cutter. However, it will be very interesting to see this from within SCAL and how it works. I always believed that there will be a interaction between embroidery and cutting, and it is coming true more and more every year.

Happy 4th to those in USA today.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Re: SCAL 5!

Postby MeFlick » July 4th, 2018, 7:53 am

You can see the Top 9 new features added to SCAL 5 (or at least Rob, ScrappyDew's top 9 list ;) ) here:

https://classroom.scrappydew.com/course ... es/5568697

You can take his full course on learning SCAL 5 (a $75 purchase but his classes are always stocked full and well worth the price in my opinion) here:
posting.php?mode=reply&f=21&t=6421 - however - on the SCAL 5 purchase page - there is a special deal to get the classroom for only $30 if purchased at the same time as SCAL. An awesome deal - BUT it does not indicate whether or not that applies to only a NEW purchase of SCAL or if it applies when purchasing an upgrade from regular to regular or from regular to pro versions as well. Maybe Rob, ScrappyDew, can verify for us.

and you can update from an older version of SCAL to SCAL 5 here:http://www.craftedge.com/products/products_scal.html (various SCAL5 pricing info found here: http://www.craftedge.com/purchase/craft ... _scal5.php )

the ProVersion of SCAL5 would be here: http://www.craftedge.com/products/products_scalpro.html (various Pro5 pricing info found here:http://www.craftedge.com/purchase/craftedge/purchase_scal5pro.php )

There are enough interesting features and updates added that I am considering upgrading from SCAL 4 to SCAL 5. I just need to decide if I want to do the update to the Pro version right now for $89 (regular price is $149) or just update from SCAL 4 to SCAL 5 for just $24.99. Those update pricing listed are "sale" prices and some indicate that they are only good until like July 15th so you may want to act fast if you are considering an update.

Note, I am not affiliated in anyway with SCAL or ScrappyDew. I have not been using SCAL as my primary choice of software but may purchase the update and then get ScrappyDew's classroom to get me up to speed fast with SCAL. Then I have to decide if I am "biting the bullet" (pun intended) and updating to the newest Silver Bullet Platinum. If I do, I have several older cutters that I really need to get rid of - (think an original cricut, a Cricut expression, a Silhouette SD, a Silhouette Cameo, etc.) was thinking of trying to sell those to not only clean up space - but to get some $ to pay for the newest cutter. ;) What to do, what to do! :?
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Gigi » July 4th, 2018, 9:59 am

Thanks ladies for sharing the info.

I want to clarify, especially for those (yes Melanie I am talking to you!!!:)) who are thinking about upgrading the software and maybe purchasing the new machine.

The new Silver Bullet Platinum ships WITH SCAL PRO 5........ so if you are considering the new machine, don't upgrade your software as that will happen automatically!!

Just trying to save you some money!! And this new version was totally redone from the ground up to work with the dual head. It's pretty amazing.

Decisions decisions.......... right??

Michelle, who does our technical support, runs Facebook for the Silver Bullet AND Sure Cuts a Lot, is offering the software and I would encourage you to use her affiliate link below if you are interested in purchasing SCAL 5 or SCAL 5 PRO. The price is the same no matter where you purchase. Michelle has been part of the BETA testing for this software for the past year and is an integral part of the Silver Bullet Team.

I, for one, will definitely be purchasing through her. Thank you!

http://bit.ly/SCALSoftware

Happy Fourth of July!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby sherri » July 4th, 2018, 4:35 pm

HAPPY 4th to all! The new machine is going great and the new software Brandon has been working on makes it all the better! We met out goal for the first week and are SO excited about all of the great comments we are receiving on the new machine! It was a three plus year labor of love for all of us and we are so grateful it is done and selling well!
THANK YOU once again to our entire Silver Bullet family! We truly love and appreciate all of you!
Sherri
Sherri Jensen
That's Scrap, Inc.
sherri

Postby pigtailpat » July 5th, 2018, 6:32 am

Rob's SCAL 5 classroom topics can be found here: https://classroom.scrappydew.com/p/sure ... -training/

Apparently import and usage of the new embroidery file formats is not covered. I'll wait to hear from him on that. I may do the classroom anyway, because I constantly pick up cutting every now and then, sporadically, and then I have to think again - wait - how did I do that again? With the classroom, I have a place to turn to on all matters involving SCAL.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby MeFlick » July 5th, 2018, 10:12 am

Thanks Gigi for that clarification regarding the reminder that SCAL 5 Pro is shipping with the new machine. I had read that in the SB Platinum post and had forgotten it until after I had made this post. Isn't that how it always works! ;) :) Since I already have SCAL 4 (not Pro) I may still at least update my SCAL 4 to SCAL 5 to check out the new features. Even if I updated to the SCAL 5 Pro now and then later updated to the new SB Platinum, I could always sell the SCAL 5 Pro that comes with the cutter since I will not have registered it. Either that or give it to my sister who is using my old BC Cougar for her school.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Angel135612 » July 5th, 2018, 4:54 pm

I just upgraded to 5Pro, but I was using (although not much lately) 4Pro. I am finally getting to a point where I want to do more with my cutter and start cutting fabric out for some quilts I want to make. And of course, cutting out fabric for appliques would be awesome when I stitch those out. I need to remember how to use my machine as it has sat idle for far to long. Too many crafts I want to work on and not enough time in the day. :-)
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » July 5th, 2018, 5:37 pm

Isnt that the truth, Diane. But we can sure have fun trying!! :)

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Angel135612 » July 5th, 2018, 7:01 pm

I seem to have LESS time to work on things now that I'm retired, than I did when I was working. I did dig out my cutter, and will be getting it set up to play with it over the next few days...even found my extra sticky mats to use with fabric... LOL (And I purchased some new fabric blades when Sherri was having a sale not too long ago). Now to just figure out what I want to cut and what fabric to use for it... LOL.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » July 5th, 2018, 11:13 pm

I like the quote in your signature. Great philosophy!

I totally get it about not having as much time when you aren't working, I think when we work we budget our time better - at least I did. And when retired, there isn't that schedule that keeps us going. Also, I think we take on more whether it be projects or wish lists or whatever.... just because we can.

Enjoy the journey - you will find time for what feels most important or fun. I am excited to see what you come up with!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby pigtailpat » July 14th, 2018, 7:07 am

I upgraded today from 4 to 5 (pro). The $50 for the upgrade is well worth it (I had SCAL 4 pro which I purchased at a premium). I decided to take advantage of rob's classroom, as I know my habits - I cut sporadically. The classroom will help me out when I need it. While the embroidery import is a new feature and not much is known now how it can be used, that will change with time and I think it will be best for me to have it in SCAL.

I'm posting as a reminder that the intro prices will expire tomorrow on the 15th. If you want to get it, now is the time.

Pat
pigtailpat

Postby Gigi » July 14th, 2018, 1:40 pm

Thanks for the reminder, Pat. So glad I upgraded - love the new features that I have had a chance to try. Still learning!

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Sure Cuts A Lot