Stopping Mid-Cut

Stopping Mid-Cut

Postby partyatyourdoor » April 21st, 2016, 10:45 pm

Hi, I have a SB 24" and am working in Sure Cuts A Lot. My issue is that when I send a file to cut, often times it is just stalling in the middle. My computer will say it is still sending the file to the machine, and the progress bar is still filling up, but the machine stops cutting and eventually goes from "cutting" to "Online". It acts like it is done with the job when it is not yet completed.

Suggestions?
partyatyourdoor

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24in

Re: Stopping Mid-Cut

Postby Gigi » April 22nd, 2016, 1:35 am

It sounds like you are cutting out of range. Are you cutting WYSIWYG or origin. Be sure that your design starts at the far right of the mat and doesn't to past the 24" going left. Your machine will go into pause if you are out of range or if you have a stray node accidentally in your design that is causing it to pause. Does it say pause on the machine? If you want to upload your design we can check it and be sure it's the right size and cuts for us. Is it stopping at the same place? Again, the more info you can give, the better.

If you do upload the file, please upload as an svg as the forum software likes that format better! :)
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby MeFlick » April 22nd, 2016, 8:03 am

Just to add to what Gigi is saying - you can also be out of range on the cutter and placement of the mat. Your cutter's opening is larger than the 24" wide that the cutter can cut. That is to help with the loading and unloading of mats into and out of the cutter. However, the cutter's range is not that large. If you load your mat too far to the left in the machine, it will go out of the cutter's range and the cutter will stop. Your 24" width available to use starts at the right side of your machine and goes 24" over to the left. It is not uncommon for new users (or even more experienced users who might not have cut in a while or not "thinking") to load the mat too far to the left not realizing that it won't cut that far over on the left of the machine. To help you remember, you can always add a piece of painter's tape or something 24" over on the left side of the machine to show you where the farthest point is for the mat to go without going out of range.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby partyatyourdoor » April 22nd, 2016, 8:51 am

Thanks for the replies. The image I was trying to cut was only 12 x 12 and was being loaded 6 inches from the right of my machine, so it is well within the cut area for my machine. The machine isn't stopping at the same place every time, sometimes it stops in the middle, sometimes on the right, just random places.

I have accidentally cut out of range before, so I know what that is like, and this is not the same thing.

It is acting like there is too much data for my machine/software to communicate and it is just freezing up and then stopping.

Often times I can take the same pattern and just try to cut 1/3 - 1/4 of it and it will cut just fine, but once I try to add more images back in it freezes up again.

You will see what I was trying to cut below. Just some 1 inch circles, nothing too intense!

ALSO- It is really acting like a software glitch. I am using the version of SCAL that came with my machine. Is there a upgrade or better version of the software that doesn't have this bug?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
partyatyourdoor

Postby Gigi » April 22nd, 2016, 9:16 am

I don't think you can send too much data to SCAL. It can handle huge engraving projects that have thousands of nodes.

Do you have your software set so you are notified when there is an upgrade? When you open it, it should say "upgrade available on the screen. Are you running SCAL 3 or 4. You can check for updates under the Help window of SCAL - there is a category for that. The latest version of SCAL 4 is 4.044. It is not usual for the cutting to stop mid stream without a reason. If you want to upload your file as mentioned earlier, we can look at it and see if we see anything. But checking the file helps us eliminate that the file is the problem.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Barbara » April 22nd, 2016, 5:45 pm

Are you using a Mac, if so you need to disable the nap feature.
Barbara

Postby allandra42 » September 22nd, 2016, 10:06 pm

Partyatyourdoor did you figure out what is causing this? I just did a lot of 3 foot b 2 foot signs and my silver bullet started doing this A LOT. I use make the cut and have for 10 years and never had this issue until this week. Any ideas anyone?
Hours spent in my craftroom are considered by me "Time Well Spent"
Please visit my blog: http://timewellspentbylesa.blogspot.com/
allandra42

Cutter: 15 inch Cougar, 24 inch Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » September 23rd, 2016, 12:26 am

We don't support MTC, but perhaps someone who still uses it might have some ideas.

Have you done a machine reset? That will often cure a quirky problem that seems to come out of nowhere. You might want to check and be sure you don't have any nodes causing it to go out of area.

Have you cut this particular design before without any issues? Are you cutting origin or WYSIWYG? If you can give us any more information that will be helpful.

Start with a machine reset and go from there. Feel free to upload the design here if you want one of us to check it and see if we have issues. Good luck, Lesa.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby allandra42 » September 23rd, 2016, 9:57 am

I know the people here dont like make the cut which is why I rarely come here and ask a question. Why start a reply with we don't support make the cut?
allandra42

Postby Gigi » September 23rd, 2016, 10:15 am

I'm sorry - you mentioned the software and I just am in the habit of saying it if another software is used. I also don't know if it's the software or a machine issue - that is why I asked other questions and gave some different ideas. And I know those who DO use MTC will chime in.

I know you realize it Lesa, but that comment was made in general for others who may be new and reading and wondering. I meant no disrespect and would say the same thing if someone asked a SignCut question. I have both on my computer but do not use them often at all.

I hope some of the other suggestions might help.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MeFlick » September 23rd, 2016, 11:02 am

Lesa - I already saw your post on the MTC forum and asked some questions over there so I won't repeat here. I am leaving home for most of the day and will be out most of tomorrow as well but will try to check in when I can to see where you are at with the problem. I have seen Gigi reply to many people on here who ask about many things and I don't think that she was trying to be negative or not helpful. There are a few of us who still use MTC with our BC/SB cutters but not a lot and I think they just want to make sure people understand that there is no "official" support for it. Nothing about me or you or others as users. Like Gigi - not sure it is necessarily a software issue - I don't have problems with MTC when I do larger designs so could be the cutter so make sure that you start with doing the hard reset she mentioned and then see my followup ?s on the MTC forum.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby allandra42 » September 23rd, 2016, 11:05 am

MeFlick I answered you over there thanks for trying to help. I did reset the machine but I have already broke the files up and cut them so I am not sure if it helped or not. Thanks though.
allandra42

Postby MeFlick » September 23rd, 2016, 3:27 pm

No worries Lesa. Just glad you were able to get the job done. If you have some time at some point to "play" perhaps you can try again at some point with the unbroken file and see if you still have issues. If you do, then try the reset and then see if it changes anything. You don't have to actually "cut" you could remove the blade and let it "run" and just watch and see if you have same issues.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby partyatyourdoor » November 10th, 2016, 2:42 pm

allandra42 - mine still does it, but I found if I keep the window open (don't minimize) and don't do anything else on my computer, it is less likely to freeze or stop. I've decided that maybe my computer just doesn't have enough memory to send a big file to cut while trying to work in another window. Also, I have broken down my bigger files into multiple cuts. Not ideal, but it works!
partyatyourdoor

Postby ladysif » January 12th, 2017, 10:53 am

Having a similar problem. I started using a MAC recently and with recent projects I've sometimes had it quit in the middle of it OR it makes crazier noises than usual and goes off grid. It has unloaded the vinyl and then carved into the white surface a crooked straight line. I don't know if it's a SCAL pro issue or ???? I have turned of the "nap" on the application to see if that helps the situation but I don't think that is the problem. The file is not that large - spice jar labels currently. I will note I'm getting an error message when I open SCAL and plan to ask them about it. But the program otherwise appears to be functioning.
ladysif

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24 inch

Postby Gigi » January 12th, 2017, 12:08 pm

Sounds like you are cutting beyond the area of the mat. if you are cutting WYSIWYG, be sure that the mat and image are set so wont cut off the cutting area.

Look at the FAQ in the learning center and be sure you are loading the vinyl properly and setting the origin in the correct place.

The more information you can give, including screen shots, the better we can help. I have a feeling it might be a combination of where you are setting your origin and there the mat is loaded. Remember, you are limited by the cutting width of your machine measured from the inner right side of the machine.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby ladysif » January 12th, 2017, 12:41 pm

I'm quite familiar with WYSIWYG and setting my origin spot. I don't load my vinyl all the way to the inside edge and set my origin inside the vinyl edge. The designs are well within the 24 inch width and only about 6 inches depth on a roll of vinyl.

The machine is unloading the vinyl - not going back to the start/origin point. There is nothing off the grid. What do you want screen shots of?
ladysif

Postby ladysif » January 12th, 2017, 1:10 pm

Here is the last file I had issues with - It looks unorganized because I had been hiding the columns and re-printing other columns and shifting them to the upper right corner.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ladysif

Postby Gigi » January 12th, 2017, 2:44 pm

I can't tell to look at it how you are cutting it. Can you upload the file itself?

You can also email the file to me (admin@silverbulletcutters.com) if you would rather do that. If the machine is not returning to origin, be sure you didn't accidentally change your setting. In the cut settings of SCAL, be sure you have selected for End Action - Return to Origin.

When you say you are reprinting , are you doing a print and cut so you are printing the label names and them cutting them out in a different label shape? Just trying to understand what the end result should look like!

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Sure Cuts A Lot