Overcut setting in SCAL

Overcut setting in SCAL

Postby danpollino » March 19th, 2016, 11:16 am

Good morning everyone! I just got my Silver Bullet the other day and absolutely love it. After a few test cuts with 65# card stock with a double adhesive sheet added to the back, I've found that the following settings work well for me.
V-200
F-50
Passes 2
Offset .2mm
Overcut 2.0mm

The overcut seemed high to me so I did a test cutting one inch squares with an overcut setting in SCAL ranging from 0mm to 10mm. Every square came out exactly the same. No difference in the cuts whatsoever. Now, while I'm happy with the cuts, I'd still like to understand why the overcut setting seems to be ignored. Any ideas?

Also, is there a way to numerically enter the speed and force in SCAL? Sometimes it's hard to get an exact number using the sliders.

Thanks so much for all your help!!

Dan
danpollino

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Re: Overcut setting in SCAL

Postby Gigi » March 19th, 2016, 12:15 pm

I assume you are setting the speed and force in the software. You can uncheck the "use software to set speed..." and set it on the machine. You still cannot set a number but the push button may be faster/more accurate for you. I also save my settings in the SCAL software so after a while I don't have to enter anything - I just choose what I am cutting. So save what you are doing now, naming it whatever you want, and you will be fine. Some find that the software settings don't hold when cutting, but many of us have had no problems.

65# card stock, even with adhesive on the back is very thin. You should not need two passes to get through that material. I don't know how detailed you are cutting, but the machine will cut even better at a higher speed. I was the person who never went over 100-150 - for a year! I was afraid to go to fast. Now I cut almost everything, even detailed, at 750-800:excited:

Your overcut should be at 1.0 for regular blades and offset should be at .25 for regular blades. There is a good visual explanation of overcut and offset and the blades in the videos under "Broadcast" I think it's in the one that goes through all of the blades. Hope that helps.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Re: Overcut setting in SCAL

Postby danpollino » March 19th, 2016, 6:07 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Gigi,
You're right, I'm apprehensive, but I'll give the higher speeds a try. I am cutting detailed designs in the card stock and found that two passes gives me cleaner corners than one pass, but I'm willing to learn and will give it a go. As far as the overcut settings, I just assumed if I put in a 10mm overcut, that's what I would get. But I don't get anything different regardless of what that's set at.

Thanks!

Dan
danpollino

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Return to Sure Cuts A Lot