How to select multiple layers in SCAL?

How to select multiple layers in SCAL?

Postby coolhand » February 12th, 2016, 1:17 pm

How do I select multiple layers in SCAL on the Layers window?

When I'm looking at the Layers window and I want to select a large number of layers, what's the best method to accomplish this? When I click on a layer to select it, then I scroll down a few layers farther and hold the SHIFT button on my keyboard and click on a new layer, only the first Layer I selected and the Layer I just clicked on are selected. All the Layers in between are not selected. I have to continue to hold SHIFT and select each layer one at a time. It's not a big deal if I'm only dealing with say 10 or less layers, but I have a few projects where I have nearly 100 layers I'd like to select all at once. I'd like to be able to quickly select those layers so that I can group them and put them in their own folder on the Layers pane.

I've tried holding down many combinations of CTRL, ALT/Option, CMD, SHIFT, etc, but none of them work for what I'm wanting, in fact only SHIFT + click seems to do anything, CTRL + click, ALT + click, don't seem to have any effect at all when selecting layers.

When I use the selection tool on the canvas I can select multiple layers at once by dragging a selection box around what I want, however, there are many other layers I would inadvertently select if I used this method. Turning off those other layers would be just as tedious as selecting each layer one by one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
coolhand

Cutter: Silver Bullet 18"

Re: How to select multiple layers in SCAL?

Postby coolhand » February 13th, 2016, 9:13 am

This might not be possible in SCAL, so maybe it could be a feature request in a future update if so? I don't know who to submit that to.

In the meantime, I think I can manipulate my layers in Illustrator before I export. I think I need to merge the layers in Illustrator though, as when I just tried to group them it didn't save the way I wanted them to and they were not grouped correctly when I opened the file back up in SCAL or Illustrator.

That should be a good work around if I'm able to do that since I'll then be able to make as few layers as I want. I'll let everyone know if it works out as intended.

Thanks!
coolhand

Postby Gigi » February 13th, 2016, 10:37 am

You can email Brandon (SCAL developer) and share what you are doing - he is always willing to listen and constantly upgrades the software.
support@craftedge.com
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby janrichards » February 13th, 2016, 6:35 pm

Glad you are back GIGI! Hope you are feeling well.
janrichards

Cutter: 15" Lynx

Postby PennyDuncan » February 14th, 2016, 3:48 pm

To select multiple layers hold down your SHIFT key while selecting the layers you're wanting.......
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby coolhand » February 15th, 2016, 8:38 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the tips, PennyDuncan, I understand I can select multiple by holding down the shift button, but that requires clicking on every single layer I want. What I was hoping for was a multi selection where I could select a range of layers, say starting at the first layer, scrolling down 20 layers and then holding a key combo and clicking to select all 20 layers at once.

I don't think it's currently possible in SCAL. However, I was able to find a work around by sorting my layers in Illustrator first. Then I export that file as a SVG (for some reason Illustrator wasn't saving my layers properly as a PDF). When I import the SVG into SCAL all my layers are sorted correctly. That allowed me to assign my specific layers as either "Print & Cut Cut" or "Print & Cut Print" easily.

It worked out really well and I made my first Print & Cut yesterday! I used standard card stock on a light adhesive mat. I had 11 files to print, so I was tweaking the settings as I went. I finally settled on a velocity of 800 and force of 70. I used a standard 45 degree blade.

I used a Cricut scraper tool to remove the cut outs from the mat. At first I was using a spatula tool, but settled on the scraper as it worked much faster and easier. I was using it upside down at first, once I realized what side to use the card stock came off easy-peasy and without turning or curling any edges!

I know this pic is kind of hard to see the print, but there are edge ids and fold lines printed on the paper, all the edges are nice and smooth, all I have to do now is assemble the pieces together.

magneto-pepakura.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
coolhand

Postby Gigi » February 15th, 2016, 11:18 am

That looks great. Glad you found a work around for now, but do contact Brandon and share what you need. He is very responsive.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to Sure Cuts A Lot