SCAL Changing the Size of Imported Graphics

SCAL Changing the Size of Imported Graphics

Postby theideaboxkids » October 19th, 2015, 1:27 pm

Hi There-

I have a png I am importing into SCAL (version 4.035 updated 10/19/15).
The size of the png is 10.11 inches width x 7.67 inches height.
When I import it into SCAL, SCAL is enlarging it so it will not fit on my 12x24 mat. I have gone round and round with it, but cannot figure out if it is a bug or something else.

Does anyone know what the problem might be, or offer any solutions?
I have included a screenshot so you can see what is happening.

Thanks,
Jennifer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
theideaboxkids

Cutter: 24 in. Silver Bullet

Re: SCAL Changing the Size of Imported Graphics

Postby Gigi » October 19th, 2015, 1:36 pm

At first I thought you were sending from a different program. I have a few pngs that depending on the program, open a different size. It's about the quality of the png itself as I understand it.

The ones I have that come in larger I just resize - it's not a problem. just make it the size that you want it to be. Click on the double arrow icon on the right side and resize it. Not an issue.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby theideaboxkids » October 19th, 2015, 2:41 pm

Thanks, Gigi.
It was working fine until the update, that's why I am wondering if it is a bug of some sort. But, if I can just resize it I will do that. It makes me nervous since everything has to be perfectly lined up...I am printing in another program, then running it through SCAL to cut it. Hoping the regs marks l up throughout the two programs. Thanks again for your help.
theideaboxkids

Postby Gigi » October 19th, 2015, 3:08 pm

Well that is strange. We can let Brandon know. Perhaps in updating some things that was switched.

Is there a reason you are printing from another program? It is super easy to do it all through SCAL, but I understand some need to do that for other reasons. Just asking.

Which program are you doing your work in? Some allow you to send directly to SCAL and then you won't have any conversion issues. I will contact Brandon in the meantime.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby theideaboxkids » October 19th, 2015, 4:13 pm

I have all of my product packaging graphics already set-up and done in a certain program...so, it's just easier to stay with that program until I am ready to change over to something else....if Illustrator works with SCAL, I may change to that. It will take me a couple of months to get everything switched over...until I have the time to transition to a new program, I print in my existing program (Xara Graphic Designer). It works out great...but, now there's an unexpected glitch. The exports are the correct size, but SCAL is changing them. I've always used my program with SCAL and it has worked great...until I updated. I hope Brandon can help in some way. Thank you for contacting him.
theideaboxkids

Postby Gigi » October 19th, 2015, 4:33 pm

I know Xara- used that program many years ago.

Yes both Illustrator and Corel Draw export directly to SCAL as does Inkscape. Can you save as an svg in Xara and them import? That might alleviate the problem. Just thinking....... or try opening in Inkscape (a free program) and export straight to SCAL?? Just a thought....

Gigi
Gigi

Postby theideaboxkids » October 19th, 2015, 4:52 pm

Ok...exported as an SVG and it worked great!
Will do that until something changes on SCAL's end or my end. Not sure where the issue lies.

I think I will try Inkscape one of these days. Sounds like it might work for me...and, free is the right price.

Thank you, Gigi. Your help is invaluable.
theideaboxkids

Postby Gigi » October 19th, 2015, 6:25 pm

You are very welcome, Jennifer. Always happy to try to help. I would think the svg would be easier because then you have your cut lines and everything intact. I am so glad that worked.

Thank you for letting me know that you are back up and running.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Rosa » November 18th, 2015, 12:16 pm

I am also having issues with SCAL changing the size of my SVG files. In my case, though, it is making them smaller.
I am using the exact same process as I had been using the past months, which had been working great for me.
I create a design in SCAL, save it, and then also export it as an SVG. (Having it as an SVG allows me to pull it up in my library, so I can put numerous designs on one page, and cut them all on one sheet.)
However, the designs as an SVG file are not the same size as my my SCAL files. For example, my one design is created to be 12" x 2.5", and I saved it like that as an SVG. However, when I go to open the SVG file, it is 9.5" x 1.875".
It is only doing these to designs that I have created since the update. The ones I did previously are remaining how they were, the SVGs being the same size as my SCALs.
I also checked to see what happens if I use one of the SCAL designs. I opened the heart, made it a 5" size, then saved it as an SVG. When I opened the SVG, it was 4" size. I think this is happening to any SVGs I am creating since the last software update.
I do have a way to work around this problem, mainly using only my SCAL files, and not my SVGs, but it would be most helpful if I could get a solution for this! :) Thanks!
Rosa

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24

Postby MeFlick » November 18th, 2015, 1:39 pm

Hi Rosa. First let me say, I don't normally use SCAL so I am not sure what the problem could be specifically. Second, which version of SCAL are you using? Are you using SCAL or SCAL Pro version and which version number are you using? When did you update? From what version did you update from? Answers to those questions may be beneficial to help someone in troubleshooting.

Since this issue seems to be specific to the software program and not the cutter, you might want to log a support ticket with the SCAL software Support team via their website and found here:http://www.craftedge.com/support/support_form.php That may get you the fastest and best help with the program and exporting/importing SVG files. I recommend that you contact SCAL support because they can best help you with their software. While Gigi sometimes offers to contact Brandon to have him look at issues like this that SB owners may encounter, it really isn't a SB issue and I know Gigi is not available for several days so going directly to SCAL support may be your best option right now to see if they are aware of the issue(s) and if they have a solution to it or not. If you do contact them, it would be great if you can let us know what they say.

I did check the SCAL Forum (found here:http://forum.surecutsalot.com) and didn't see anything posted by anyone there in regards to similar issues BUT it doesn't really get much activity so you are probably better off contact SCAL Support directly.
Last edited by MeFlick on November 18th, 2015, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Rosa » November 18th, 2015, 1:50 pm

Thanks so much, I didn't know how to go about finding their contact information.
Rosa

Postby Rosa » November 20th, 2015, 9:50 am

I have contacted them, but have yet to hear back. I'm wondering, does someone know of any way to undo the latest update, and go back to the version just prior? I am currently using SCAL 4.036.
Rosa

Postby PennyDuncan » November 20th, 2015, 11:27 am

Hey Rosa.... Yes you can go back to a previous version...IF you've saved the downloads of the previous versions I would just uninstall the program......restart your computer then reinstall the version you want....IF you have not saved the previous versions you can go to the Craftedge website http://www.craftedge.com/support/lostsw.php here and send them an email to let them know which version you would like to have emailed to you....Brandon is very good to get back with you rather quickly.....

One thing you might want to verify is that you have your DPI setting correct in the program......If you're using Adobe to create your files you'll need to have your DPI at I believe 72.....if you're using Inkscape you'll need it set to 90...You can find this in the General Preferences in the program...I'm at work right now so I can't pull up the program to give you step by steps.......
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Rosa » November 20th, 2015, 1:49 pm

Thanks, all! My problem has been solved by the 4.038 update.
Rosa

Postby MeFlick » November 20th, 2015, 5:12 pm

Great. Good to hear. Thanks for letting us know.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby PennyDuncan » November 21st, 2015, 8:54 am

Fantastic!!!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Return to Sure Cuts A Lot