Stencil tool in SCAL

Stencil tool in SCAL

Postby pigtailpat » July 7th, 2015, 2:40 pm

I have a question on the new (at least to me) stencil tool in SCAL.

What I want to do is stencil letters in either quilters stencil plastic, or the clear report vinyl stuff (cheap), so that I can trace the letters onto fabric, and then fill in with special fabric pens. I will try direct penning it, but the brush tip of the sharpie pen I think is going to be hard to work with.

Is the theory of using the stencil bridge, to just use enough bridges so that your cut can be retained in the positive piece (i.e. be as conservative as possible), so that later you have less "gaps" to fill in? Anyone who has used the new stencil bridge tool is welcome to jump in.

I'm totally fascinated by how SCAL has grown up. It's just so amazing.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Re: Stencil tool in SCAL

Postby Gigi » July 7th, 2015, 9:31 pm

pigtailpat

Hi Pat -

Here is a tutorial on the Craftedge site that may help you.
http://craftedge.com/tutorials/stencil_ ... bridge.php

And yes, the new features in SCAL 4 are fabulous. It has come a long way!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby pigtailpat » July 8th, 2015, 5:01 am

Gigi - thanks - there is an automatic stencil tool now in tool menu - so I don't have to select a rectangle and remember the specific path option. I was looking more for practical tips to help when I actually do the tracing part. I guess this will be a DIY learning job.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Gigi » July 8th, 2015, 9:12 am

OH sorry - I didnt actually READ the link - thought that was it! :( My fault.

I think Penny has used it - let me reach out to her. I have not but know others have!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby PennyDuncan » July 8th, 2015, 9:28 am

Hey Pat...YES ma'am...what you are thinking is exactly spot on...when you use the tool you'll notice it does an automatic gaping of the bridge so to speak....it's not a measure you can adjust from what I've seen.......so I think you will get the exact affect you're wanting!!! Does that make sense???
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby pigtailpat » July 8th, 2015, 4:07 pm

Penny - thanks for confirming my thoughts on using the tool. I'll have to do some experimentation. Luckily I have some of the cheap vinyl shelf liner (i.e. practice vinyl) for my experiments.

Pat
pigtailpat

Postby PennyDuncan » July 8th, 2015, 4:18 pm

You're most welcome!!! ;)
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby pigtailpat » August 13th, 2015, 8:57 am

I wanted to report that the stencil tool in SCAL is awesome. I'm currently away from home, and brought the gaz with me because it is more portable than the 18" cat (also less dangerous - the tables to the cat can be broken in transit - safer to leave him home). I am using the time away to play around in SCAL and get more familiar. I've done more research on the stenciling idea, and can get freezer paper stencils to fill in with shiva paintstik paint via brush. I made very thin stencil bridges as a conservative method, and waiting to see if the thin bridges can stand up to the abuse of the brush when doing the actual stenciling with the paint. If successful, I will cut some of the necessary stencils here with the gaz, and some on the cat when I return home with the big, big mat to maximize my output. I need like 80 of these stencils (I actually have 40 blocks, not 20 like I thought). Also, I JUST noticed that SCAL added the advanced handles, which was my original turn off from many years ago (the original handles reminded me of an unmentionable software). It is incredible to me how far SCAL has come. So glad I invested in 4 PRO.
pigtailpat

Postby Gigi » August 13th, 2015, 9:50 am

Thanks for the update on your experiences with the stencil tool. I have not had time to try it yet so it's great to hear from someone who has.

And yes, SCAL has come a really long way and I am constantly happily surprised at all it can do - and it is constantly upgraded.

Happy you are getting the results that you wanted. I know you will share what you are making when you get it started - your quilting projects blow me away with all of the work and detail. Good luck!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby pigtailpat » August 13th, 2015, 10:30 am

I can give you an idea of what I am working on now. I am waiting for the paint to arrive so I can test whether the narrow stencil bridges will stand up to the abuse of a brush. This cut was done with the gaz.

Pat-stencil.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pigtailpat

Postby Gigi » August 13th, 2015, 11:43 am

Very cool!! :)

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Sure Cuts A Lot