Save Repeated Print & Cuts

Save Repeated Print & Cuts

Postby theideaboxkids » July 1st, 2015, 3:51 pm

Hi There-

I am brand new to the SB & to SCAL. I use the SB for my product packaging.
I purchased it to make the same cut over & over again...5 same shaped ovals from a piece of 80# cardstock. I am hoping to do more with the SB as soon as I learn more about the machine.

Everything is set-up, calibrated, etc.
I put reg marks in the graphics program I use, then printed that out from the graphics program, then put it through the SB to cut. Everything has lined up perfectly and I am so pleased. I feel unsure & a tad intimidated by the SB.

My question is this:
Do I need to line up the reg marks w/ the laser on every piece I cut if I am doing the same cut over & over again, and I place the paper in the same place on the mat each time? I did push the repeat button, but I didn't know where to position my mat and it cut off my paper. I am so new that I am not sure what my next step is for that.

I would love any suggestions on how to make repeated same cuts go a bit faster.

Also, how do I tell if my machine is calibrated successfully? The calibration steps were such a mystery. I followed the video & written instructions, and it did not go exactly like what was being described. It cut fine after my 5th/6th attempt at calibration, so I am hoping that means it is calibrated properly. Do I need to do anything more with that, or is there ever time I would need to recalibrate?

Thank you for your help!
theideaboxkids

Cutter: 24 in. Silver Bullet

Re: Save Repeated Print & Cuts

Postby Gigi » July 1st, 2015, 5:14 pm

I did a search for print and cut and found what I was looking for as I knew there was a better explanation than I was going to give! viewtopic.php?f=44&t=5410&p=93634&hilit=repeat+button#p93634 - here is the whole conversation, but this is the main part you need...

"If the prints are repeats then what you do is as follows (so long as your printer prints accurately in the same place each time) -
When you put the first print on the mat make sure that you line the paper up to a grid intersection so that you can replace the sheet with the next one in exactly the same place.
Do your print and cut as normal.
When the cut is finished go offline and bring the mat forward but make sure it does not come out from under the pinch wheels.
Remove the cut sheet and place the new one in the same position.
Press online and the cutter will go back to the same starting point - DO NOT press origin.
Go offline and press repeat. The cutter will go through the process itself including the moves you made for lining up on the reg marks."

This was posted by Dawn (Thyme) who is the UK/Europe distributor for the SB

As for calibration, you don't have to recalibrate each time to get is perfect. Let's say you just calibrated the machine and you do a simple print and cut. (I always use a square so it's easy to see if I am off vertically or horizontally). Follow the instructions in the learning center to adjust however you need to adjust. You can go into the edit values of the software (in the print and cut menu of SCAL) and increase or decrease the the x or y.

Here is the short version:

If the cut line is to the left of the printed image, decrease the Y value.
If the cut line is to the right of the printed image, increase the Y value.
If the cut line is below the printed image, decrease the X value.
If the cut line is above the printed image, increase the X value.

Details are in the Learning Center under SCAL/ Cutting from SCAL/Performing a Print and Cut.

Hope this helps.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby theideaboxkids » July 1st, 2015, 6:29 pm

Gigi...many thanks to you! I appreciate your quick & thorough response! I will try what was suggested for the repeated Print & Cuts. If I have any questions about it and am not able to figure it out on my own, I will be back :)
Thank you again!
theideaboxkids

Cutter: 24 in. Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » July 1st, 2015, 7:13 pm

You are welcome, Jennifer. Good luck.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to Sure Cuts A Lot