Patterns, standard size?

Patterns, standard size?

Postby Janet486 » June 4th, 2015, 9:03 pm

Hi all,
I've only had my Silver Bullet out of the box for a week and it is awesome!
I have a couple of software questions? Is there an ideal size (say. 300x300pxs) for sizing a png file to save in the patterns section? I like to make boxes with a quilt block pattern on the top. So I like to fill the various shapes and then do a print and cut to center the square on the top. I did have the program crash a few times when I was trying to preview after rotating and resizing the fill pattern. Made me wonder if my pattern was to big.
Second, is there a way to copy a whole page and move it to a different project? (sort of like Excel where you can move or copy a worksheet to a different workbook) I like having all the components to a project on different pages within the project. So much better than all the individual files I use to have!
My old machine was a Cameo and I used the Studeo Designer software. So between learning a new machine, SCAL, and Inkscape I'm having a great time! There's just not enough hours in the day!
Thanks for all your help!
Janet
Janet486

Cutter: Silver Bullet 15"

Re: Patterns, standard size?

Postby Gigi » June 4th, 2015, 9:31 pm

Hi Janet -

I don't save a lot of patterns so I will let someone else chime in there.......

As for the project, If I understand you , you want to take components of the file on your first page and save parts of it on separate pages? If that is what you are saying , yes. Just click on the "+" button next to the open page and it will open up another page. Then you can cut from one page and copy to another if I understanding your question right. And you can keep adding pages and repeat moving sections.

I know you have experience with the Silhouette, but we do recommend not diving into print and cut until you have more time to completely go through the learning center. It will just be a lot easier to comprehend if you learn the basics first. That being said, it sounds like you are doing a great job in coming as far as you have in one week! Great job! So glad to hear you are thrilled with the machine! Enjoy!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Janet486 » June 5th, 2015, 5:52 am

Hi Gigi,
Thanks for the quick response!
I wanted to able to copy a whole page and put it in a new project. (I know I can copy everything on a page, open a new project and paste. I was just wondering if I was overlooking something. It seems you can not have more than one project opened at a time, either.)

Too late on Print and Cut. I've already figured out how to do both my score lines (embossed) and cut lines with the same registration marks. ( I have one layer that has corner marks on it and make sure that layer is always visible no matter which layer I am sending to the cutter. It will emboss or cut those lines each time, but it is reassuring that the software is using the same registration marks!) I sometimes like to use metallic gel pens to add highlight to some of the shapes in my design on the box as well, but I have not worked with pens yet. That would also require using the same registration marks to get things lined up perfectly, too. (I think they were doing pens last night on the live broadcasts! Can hardly wait to watch that one!)

Thanks again,
Janet
Janet486

Postby Gigi » June 5th, 2015, 9:24 am

You are welcome.

If it is an svg file, you can open more than one project at a time, but not a SCUT file. Will ask Brandon if he can put that on his list of things to do as i often pull elements from multiple files together and have to find clever ways to do it! :)

Yes they did cover pens in the webinar last night. But I am a bit confused with your comment on score and cut lines. You don't use registration marks to cut or emboss. If you are doing both, you would choose WYSIWYG so your lines stay in line with each other, score first and then cut. You don't use registration marks for that or the pen either. I think I understand what you are doing with the added layer, and it's more of a placement issue so you line things up, but that isn't true print and cut. I just don't want you confused down the line. And it's a step you don't actually "need", but if it makes it easier for you that's of course fine. It may just be confusing later because what you are calling registration marks are not "print and cut registration marks".

Is that clear as mud??!!??

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Janet486 » June 5th, 2015, 11:31 am

Hi Gigi,
Sorry, I don't think I'm being clear.
I have an image I want centered on the top of my box. I bring the image into SCAL (or create it in SCAL with shapes and fill patterns) on one layer. Have the cut lines for the box on another layer. Have the score lines on another layer. Have a layer with the corners marked outside the largest component, so that the registrations marks are beyond the cutting lines for the box. Have everything line up so the image is in the center of the box lid. (Isn't that what would make it a print and cut?)

Always making sure the layer with the corner marks is visible. (Seems the software thinks the registration marks are in different places depending on what is visible.)
Print my image with registration marks. Read the registration marks and do the score lines. And then read the registration marks again and cut the box.

If I want to add highlight with a metallic pen, I would also have a layer with the lines I want to highlight. And send that to the cutter after the score lines and before cutting.

Am I making any sense? Or am I out in left field baking too long in the sun?
Maybe when I get home I can add a picture of a box I did before I got the SB.

Ultimately, what I need to figure out is how to get the fill patterns to work in SCAL and/or Inkscape.
Janet486

Postby Gigi » June 5th, 2015, 3:15 pm

On your original question, here is a conversation about pattern fills in SCAL. If you do a search for that topic there are quite a few conversations that come up. Hopefully one of those will help???
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4290&p=81085&hilit=pattern+fill+in+SCAL#p81085

Let us know if you find the answer...

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Sure Cuts A Lot