SCAL Crashing? 2 Part Question

SCAL Crashing? 2 Part Question

Postby bazzie » February 21st, 2015, 2:42 pm

I have been using SCAL 3 with my Silver Bullet for about 1 month, but use it multiple times a day, every day. Am starting to feel like I'm learning my way around. My problem is that SCAL 3 keeps crashing. I have it on Win 7 for the PC that is connected to the SB. I installed it on another PC running Win8 to see if I can get my design created, and then move it to the PC connected to the SB for cutting. SCAL 3 seems to be more stable on the Win8 PC, but it will not trace. I have tried importing a multitude of different files and types, but all I end up with is the dreaded "not responding". Any advice?

Also

Was interested to read about some of the features in SCAL 4. My SB sat in its box from early July when it was purchased for me, until last month when I finally had time to learn. When setting it up, instructions stated something like: "if you purchased your SB before November 2014, download SCAL 3....etc. Does this mean I cannot use SCAL 4? I am really getting frustrated with SCAL 3, and would like options... Thanks for any help/advice!

Jan
bazzie

Cutter: Silver Bullet Pro 24"

Re: SCAL Crashing? 2 Part Question

Postby Gigi » February 21st, 2015, 4:14 pm

I am running both SCAL 3 and SCAL 4 and have had no problem with either crashing. Running on Windows 8.1. There are times when it struggles to trace a digi stamp, but it does eventually, and that is only when there are open areas so I don't get a quick clean trace - it's more about the digi stamp than the program - for me.

Do you have plenty of memory on your computer? Do you want to upload or send me (PM) one of the images you are trying to trace? Am happy to try and see if I have any problems with it. I can try it with both versions....

The features of SCAL 4 are explained on the craftedge.com website. It is included with newer machines, just like you received SCAL 3. Brandon has been offering a discount to those who have SCAL3 and want to upgrade so you can check that also on the website. Hope that helps.

One last question - what file type are you trying to trace? Again - feel free to upload it here so we can try it or just PM it to me. Happy to look at it.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby bazzie » February 21st, 2015, 9:58 pm

Gigi: Thanks for your reply. The files I was trying to trace were all jpeg. I don't need any of them traced; was just doing it to practice...had been watching videos and remembered that it could be done in SCAL. I'm more concerned about the crashing...
AND, why documentation from That's Scrap stated that since my SB was purchased before a certain date I had to use SCAL 3. Makes me think my SB can't cope with SCAL 4? I'd love to try upgrading to 4 to see if problems go away...
I have plenty of memory in both systems I'm using, in fact, when having a PC built, I always have way more put in then I would ever need. I do a lot with graphics, and they are hogs. No other PC problems except this SCAL. The SCAL on the 8.1 PC is from the same download as the main PC hooked up to the SB. Am wondering if I might be ahead to delete it off of both, and re-install???? Thanks again!
bazzie

Cutter: Silver Bullet Pro 24"

Postby Gigi » February 21st, 2015, 10:29 pm

What the documentation means about SCAL 3 is that if you purchased a machine before that date, that is the version that you are registered to use - that is what came as part of your purchase. You can certainly upgrade - many of us have. That is not a problem -and never will be. Feel free to upgrade.

You can also email Brandon at support@craftedge.com and explain that you are having crashing problems. I am with you on memory - I always to up on that as well. Was just grasping at straws.... there were issues with SCAL crashing MANY versions ago ( more than a year ago as I recall) but it was fixed with later updates. I assume you are running the latest version of SCAL 3?

Well I know that whenever I have problems with any software I re-install and most of the time it fixes whatever might have been missed in the install. It's definitely worth a try - you have nothing to lose. I would do a clean download as well. If that doesn't work, then by all means email Brandon at the email above. He is very responsive and helpful.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to Sure Cuts A Lot