Question: other software?

Question: other software?

Postby Guy Gadois » January 26th, 2015, 2:55 am

Aside from SCAL, Is there any other software that interfaces directly with the SB?

Guy
Guy Gadois

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Re: Question: other software?

Postby Elizabeth » January 26th, 2015, 6:51 am

SCAL has plugins that allow direct export from Corel Draw, Inkscape and Adobe Illustrator into SCAL for cutting. SCAL is the preferred software for cutting, as the drivers have been specifically created for the Silver Bullet.

Using KNK drivers, you can cut from Make the Cut. Sign Cut is another option for cutting.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » January 26th, 2015, 10:28 am

Thanks Elizabeth - you said it all well.

Are you using SCAL3 or the new SCAL 4. Is there an issue you are having that you would like resolved? Just wondering if an upgrade will help with whatever you are looking for.

And as Elizabeth said, the machine responds best to SCAL. Many of us have tested the options. Let us know if we can help with any problems.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Guy Gadois » January 26th, 2015, 6:32 pm

Some of the editing functions in SCAL are funky. As an example; erasing a line from the library square shape, the eraser leaves a
line instead of erasing.

Guy
Guy Gadois

Postby Gigi » January 26th, 2015, 7:23 pm

I think if you use the help menu in SCAL that might help. The eraser will create a new shape, based on what you erase. In other words, it will create a line along whatever you erase.

If you use the knife tool it will cut the square apart wherever you want it - is that what you need? So if you run the knife tool just inside the right side vertically, it will leave you a square "C" on the left and will keep it open. LMK if that helps.

You can always download a free version of Inkscape if you need more complicated design features and it is compatible with SCAL. But you may be able to do what you want in SCAL with some experimenting.

I am glad you asked the question because it made me try something new! Hope this helps.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Guy Gadois » January 26th, 2015, 7:44 pm

I can't find any eraser help except for changing the size and shape. Nothing about using it. Attached is a screen capture of the square with the right side showing the marks made by the eraser. Notice the preview shows those marks as cut marks. That won't work. I am beginning to think all objects should be done on another program and then exported to SCAL so no further editing is
required.
Guy

eraser.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guy Gadois

Postby Gigi » January 26th, 2015, 7:48 pm

Use the knife tool - it will separate just fine. And then you can make it whatever size you want. Does this help?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Guy Gadois » January 26th, 2015, 11:28 pm

The knife tool doesn't do anything about the eraser marks. I give up.
Guy
Guy Gadois

Postby Gigi » January 26th, 2015, 11:41 pm

You said you were cutting a square from the library and I thought you wanted to eliminate one of the sides. you do that with the knife tool.

You could also take the image you showed me with the crooked line and cut it away with the knife tool. It will separate the crooked line part away. You may not see it immediately, but when you go to select the pieces you can pull them apart. If you want to send me the file where you have it, I will separate it and send it back to you. It does work.

If you want to try it yourself, select the knife tool, draw a line to the left of the squiggly lines you want to eliminate, then go back to your select tool (the top arrow) and capture the part that you just cut - it will pull apart and you will be left with the three sides like I showed you in the square that I did.

Ok - editing to try to show you differently. I tried to duplicate what you did. The top image is a square from the library and I used the eraser tool on the right side. I duplicated it and put it below and changed the color so you could see the difference. I took the knife blade and ran it along the inside of the square on the right side to remove the erased edge. I selected the entire image, did Object>break path, and then selected the part where the knife cut (so selected from the outside right to the left side of the knife cut ) and pulled it over so you can see. Does that help? It really is easy - just takes some playing around.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Guy Gadois » January 27th, 2015, 12:58 am

Thank you for clarifying how the knife tool is used. I would never have ascertained how to use it from the help menu.
I think you should write the help instructions! Maybe in your spare time; when you're not responding to posts made by
an idiot.
Regards, Guy
Guy Gadois

Postby Gigi » January 27th, 2015, 1:25 am

You are very welcome! I am stubborn and I was not going to let you give up . I wanted to find a way to explain it better and I am glad I was able to do that!

I won't let you give up without trying everything I can. And I learn more in the process so it's a win-win! I hope you will give it a try so it makes sense to you. I think when you actually do it, it will make even more sense.

Thanks for the kind words. :) We are working on it!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Suzan » January 27th, 2015, 7:44 pm

I use Adobe Illustrator and Corel Draw, and Cut with Sign Cut Pro.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Return to Sure Cuts A Lot