Mat Size

Mat Size

Postby pscustoms » January 3rd, 2015, 7:44 pm

I did a search and couldn't find the answer to this question although I'm sure it's been answered many times. Do I set my virtual mat dimensions to match my exact physical mat outer dimensions or just the size of the inner grid? When I do it to match the grid, it appears to match but is not putting the same size border at top and bottom as my mat which makes me think it will throw off my starting point (and knowing how much material I need to put on the mat and where) to get my cut right and minimize waste (stuff I am cutting is very expensive). Thanks!
pscustoms

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24"

Re: Mat Size

Postby Gigi » January 3rd, 2015, 8:37 pm

First of all, do NOT use your expensive stuff while learning how to use the machine. That is what the test pen is for. Use copy paper and the pen until you get used to where your things will cut from the virtual mat to the actual mat.

Most of us use origin to cut as it makes it much easier and the mat size is not as important, as long as it is larger than your material. for instance, lets say you have a 12x12 virtual mat and you want to cut a 4" square. Be sure the square is within the border of the 12x12 virtual mat. then put your paper on your actual mat as described in the learning center. If you have the machine set to origin rather than WYSIWYG, then the cut will start where you set it on the actual material - again shown in the learning center. Set your origin in the paper in the lower right hand corner (closest to you when you look at the machine and load your mat) - The bottom right corner of your square will be where you have set your origin.

Practice with the test pen and copy paper to get a feel for it. Most of the time my virtual mat is 12x12 as I rarely cut anything larger than that - and it gives me room to play.

I don't know what size material you are cutting, but based on what you said, I would make the mat the a little larger than your cutting material. You can select all when you have your items in place to be sure you have not extended the cutting area. So if your material is 11x17 for instance, make the mat 12x18 (this is how I would do it) so you have room to lay things out. You can select all when you are done to check the size. Give yourself a little room and place your origin in the lower right and you will be good. When I want to be sure I utilize the space I put the machine in offline and advance the mat to be sure the blade is staying on the material, then return it to the starting point. You also do not want to cover the upper edge of the mat with material as it will come out from under the pinch wheels so be sure you have room for the wheels to hold the mat for as much height as you are cutting.

Hope that made sense. I threw a lot in there at one time. I would suggest going back to the learning center and taking step by step and working through each step so it makes sense to you - that is the best way to learn - and don't try to do too much until you have a good understanding of the software and the machine. There IS a learning curve, but with small steps you will be cutting all that you want in no time.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby pscustoms » January 3rd, 2015, 9:32 pm

Great thanks! The only time I think the location on the mat would come into play would be is if I want to do cut by color all in one shot and lay my various colors on the mat rather than cut them one at a time.
pscustoms

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24"

Postby Gigi » January 3rd, 2015, 9:39 pm

You would then group the colors together, put your different cardstocks on the mat, and then set your origin with EACH one - you wouldn't cut them all at once - hope that makes sense. So lets say you have four different colors of pieces and several of each color. Group each color together on the mat. Then when you cut by color (SCAL PRO) set your origin for the red and cut the red. Then move to the next media, set the origin for that color and cut. Make sense?

Gigi
Gigi

Postby CJFY Studio » January 9th, 2015, 5:22 pm

It appears that SCAL's biggest mat size is 12 x 24. If I am cutting material that is 13 x 19, how do I go about getting a mat that big and SCAL to accept it? Thank you.
CJFY Studio

Cutter: 24" Professional Series

Postby Gigi » January 9th, 2015, 5:28 pm

Just go into cutter>mat size> custom and make it whatever size you want.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby CJFY Studio » January 9th, 2015, 5:29 pm

Awesome! Thank you.

Is it possible to purchase a bigger mat than 12 x 24?
CJFY Studio

Cutter: 24" Professional Series

Postby Gigi » January 9th, 2015, 5:50 pm

Yes there are mats much larger. Just click on the tab above right to go to Sherri's store and then to Silver Bullet Mats. There is a WIDE variety.

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Sure Cuts A Lot