Can SCAL 4 PRO cut a single line

Can SCAL 4 PRO cut a single line

Postby galon1 » December 19th, 2014, 2:20 am

Can SCAL cut a single straight line or does it have to cut a closed loop? I want to cut from point A to point B, jump to point C cut to point D, or does it have to cut A to B back to A and then go to C ? IF it can, how do you get it to do it?
Was trying to emboss a line if rivets for a model bridge with the pierce command , SCAL wants to go up the line of rivets and come back down the line punching rivers slightly off the first ones, also the spacing is wrong. Playing around with it found it will space the piercings at whatever you set it in the command if its a rectangle, if you close the rectangle to a single line or draw a single line it spaces the pearcings off what you set it at.

Galon Tonell
galon1

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: Can SCAL 4 PRO cut a single line

Postby Gigi » December 19th, 2014, 2:54 am

I have not tried the piercing command yet so cannot respond to the second part of the question, but yes, you can cut just a straight line. and jump to another. I do that all of the time when I have fold lines that I "cut" at a lesser force (just 2 or 4 straight lines, not connected). You just draw them where you want then and it will cut then as is and return to the origin (where you started).

Ok - you had me curious so I drew a line in SCAL, made it about 5 inches, chose the pierce tool, set it at .2, made, set the force to 1 as I was too lazy to change the blade - I just wanted to see how it would cut and it did one line no problem. It started over to the left of the line and came back to the right and stopped. Does that help?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby galon1 » December 19th, 2014, 6:32 pm

As to the single line I see it works drawing in SCAL, does it work if you import from another program? I am drawing in a cad program exporting as an Adobe Illustrator file then importing into SCAL, it cuts the line over and back. Any ideas?
As to the punch command not spacing the punches right. I tracked it down to the fact SCAL sees the single line exported as a long thin rectangle and my using a conversion factor that was slightly wrong. A 10 inch line imported as 9.985in so when it goes back down the line it punches a second line slightly off. Thank you for your help.

Galon Tonell
galon1

Postby Gigi » December 19th, 2014, 6:39 pm

When you are importing from Illustrator, see if it makes a difference if you choose Illustrator as your SVG DPI. Go to Edit>Preferences and choose Illustrator under the General Tab at SVG DPI. That may be the difference.

Hope that helps.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby galon1 » December 19th, 2014, 8:13 pm

It's already set on 72 ( Adobe Illustrator )

Galon
galon1

Postby galon1 » December 21st, 2014, 11:28 am

Found solution to not being able to cur single line from cad program. If I import it as a DFX. file it cuts as a single line in the direction it is drawn. No clue why it cuts over and back if exported/imported as an AI. file .

Galon
galon1

Postby Gigi » December 21st, 2014, 11:36 am

Thanks for sharing - great to know that the .dxf format worked.

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Sure Cuts A Lot