storing media settings in SCAL

storing media settings in SCAL

Postby pigtailpat » December 3rd, 2014, 7:04 pm

I agree with the sentiment that control over the force and speed when cutting any media should be done on the machine's interface and not in the software.

BUT

is anyone sort of storing your settings in the software (like you were going to do use the software settings but not), as a way of reminding yourself what you did? I'm getting to hate notes you know?

Also, I know mentioned elsewhere, I really need some vids, tuts, or tips on the new SCAL 4. Currently, I am cutting with the gaz while waiting for the keyspan for the cougar to get back up and running on that. It really is very good to have back up machines, I am glad I never sold any of mine, which I had contemplated in the past. Worked out great. SCAL is cutting very smooth also on the gazzy. I tell you brandon did a great job with this software.

Last - what do the inkscape plugins do? Allow me to design in inkscape and cut via scal to plotter?

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Re: storing media settings in SCAL

Postby Gigi » December 3rd, 2014, 11:04 pm

Well you wont like my first answer!! :) I keep a small (probably 5.5x8") notebook with all of my settings. Since I use so much paper from Paper Temptress, I have it divided with little post it tabs at the top by company or media and then write down the paper name, blade and force.

One thing Ducky used to do was cut out a tag of each paper and label the back of it with the blade and force. She kept them all in a clear plastic box so just had to grab the card stock to find it - another way.

There might be more info on the SCAL forum on the new version but not sure I have seen videos yet - although I will admit to not doing a search for them. I just want to have time to play and experiment! If I hear of any I will post here.

As for the plug ins - yes. They allow you to cut directly from Inkscape, Illustrator or Corel. You can design in any of those programs, send to SCAL, and then it opens there for cutting. I have used it in the earlier version and loved it.

Hope that helps a little...
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Elizabeth » December 4th, 2014, 7:15 am

I'm going to be a contrarian again, LOL! I have been using SCAL to set the speed and force with my Silver Bullet since it was new in February. I have never had a problem setting it this way, and I cut almost daily. For me it is much easier and quicker than using the buttons on the machine. I recommend that people check it out. I would hazard a guess that Brandon addressed this issue in one of his past updates. (Works great for me in SCAL 3 and SCAL 4)
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » December 4th, 2014, 10:31 am

I am really glad you shared that Elizabeth because sometimes when I have to make an extreme change in force and/or speed it takes what seems like forever to do it on the machine and I totally forget that I have another option - duh! Now I have to remember to give that a try. Thanks for sharing! I can see reasons for and against depending on what you are doing - fine tune on the machine and then use the software..... hmmmmmmm.

Thanks again!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby PennyDuncan » December 4th, 2014, 11:40 am

I agree Gigi....Thanks Elizbeth for sharing that...I too have not yet used the software control of the speed and force......but will play with it more now!!!!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Elizabeth » December 4th, 2014, 5:02 pm

Let me know if it works for you, ladies. I cut all day today using SCAL to set my speed and force. I thought my cards were all done, only to discover I needed 10 more! Almost done now, and I made 3 dozen Sesame Street bag toppers for my grandnephew's first birthday party on Saturday.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby PennyDuncan » December 5th, 2014, 7:52 am

Oh how CUTE!!!! Bet they are going to LOVE those!!!!!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Return to Sure Cuts A Lot