Wishblade .FS files to Sure Cuts A Lot 3

Wishblade .FS files to Sure Cuts A Lot 3

Postby kcjb » November 25th, 2014, 8:18 pm

I just received my 18" Silver Bullet cutter and am learning my way around Sure Cuts A Lots. Previously, I had a Xyron Wishblade and literally have a TON of files that I accumulated over the years. What I would like to do is figure out how to convert those files so that they can be used with the Silver Bullet. The Xyron files show a .FS file extension. I haven't been able to find a lot of information about this file type or how to convert it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
kcjb

Cutter: Silver Bullet 18"

Re: Wishblade .FS files to Sure Cuts A Lot 3

Postby Gigi » November 25th, 2014, 8:31 pm

I am a bit confused - I think that is a standard state of mind for me! I had a wishblade years ago and I thought they used a gsd format. I still have a TON of those as well! I just did a search and cant find anything (at least not quickly) about the wishblade using fs files. And everything I see on fs, which isnt much, has to do with large sign files. What am I missing??

Assuming you have the craft robo software, here is a tutorial on converting gsd files to svg....... but hoping someone else can weigh in on what I am missing with the fs file format.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby kcjb » November 26th, 2014, 6:09 pm

Hi Gigi, thanks for the reply! All of my files have the .FS extension and they were created with the Create and Cut software supplied with the Xyron (Wishblade). As you said, there isn't much helpful information online about that file format so I feel stuck with a bunch of files that I can't use with the SB. Was there supposed to be a link in your reply? I'm anxious to read up on converting files. Thanks!
kcjb

Postby Gigi » November 26th, 2014, 8:00 pm

Oops - sorry. I have a bad habit of forgetting to post links! :(

Well this won't help with the fs file but here is her site - www.duckysdesigns.com Click on the convert files tab and you will see how to convert gsd to svg.

Would you mind sending me one fs file? I have a couple of ideas and would like to see if it works before I send you down the wrong road. Thank you!
You can PM it to me or email it to gigica@cox.net

Thanks.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby terri » November 28th, 2014, 11:18 pm

.fs is the native file type for xyrons Create & Cut program... (made by flexi sign, hence the F S )
the fs files are easily converted by opening the desired file in create & cut and then...
cntrl+a to select all of the design and go to File > Export...
choose a location for the new file, give it a name, and choose "adobe illustrator .ai" from the "save as type" drop down list... click the save button and you're done.
then back in scal, go to File > Import... and choose the .ai file.
voila! :)
terri

Cutter: ****

Postby Gigi » November 28th, 2014, 11:49 pm

Thanks Terri. I have been working with her and suggested that she save it in another format but have not heard back. Thanks for reminding me that sometimes you can save as and other times you need to export. Is Adobe the only good option? I only ask because then you have to be sure you change your import svg dpi on SCAL. Since I don't have the Create and Cut software I don't know what options are available.

Thanks for clarifying and giving a better option for her files.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby terri » November 29th, 2014, 11:02 am

the export options for vector are .ai .pdf .dxf and .plt
the dpi is not an issue for .ai... the .ai file imports at the correct size.
.pdf creates a rectangle representing the C&C page size, which can easily be deleted in scal or whatever cutting program, but it annoys me for some reason. (the rectangle itself annoys me lol)
since export to .ai works well, I've never bothered with export to .dxf or .plt...
I wish it were, but export to .svg was never an option in either version of C&C.
hope this helps! :)
terri

Postby Gigi » November 29th, 2014, 12:11 pm

Thank you - nice to have someone who has the software as I was flying blindly and that is scary! LOL I know that will be a HUGE help to Jennifer. Appreciate the explanations.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby terri » November 29th, 2014, 12:19 pm

i'm always happy to help when i can :)
terri

Postby kcjb » November 29th, 2014, 6:05 pm

Hi Terri and Gigi!!!
It worked! It worked!!! Oh my goodness! I'm just thrilled that it was an easy fix! LOL! ... Easy in terms of the work I have to do now but not so easy in all of the research and help I needed to get here!
Thank you both for everything....and the very thorough explanation! I'm on my way now.....until the next question! :wink:
~Jennifer
kcjb

Postby Gigi » November 29th, 2014, 7:24 pm

You are so welcome Jennifer. Terri came along at just the right time - we had a workaround but this was so much easier! Holler if you need more help.

Got your email and will answer later - good luck with everything. Thanks again, Terri.

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Sure Cuts A Lot