new scal android app

new scal android app

Postby terri » November 6th, 2014, 5:38 pm

Hi everyone!
does anyone know for sure if the android version will cut directly to SB??
tia! Terri
terri

Cutter: ****

Re: new scal android app

Postby Gigi » November 6th, 2014, 9:04 pm

If you go to this page http://craftedge.com/products/products_scalipad.html it explains at the bottom what you need to do in order to cut directly from some cutting machines. I would think the ability to process a lot of information in order to cut would be minimal, but I don't know....

There is more information here http://craftedge.com/tutorials/android_ ... d_otg.html Looks like both tablets capabilities and cutters are limited and you need additional apps and a special host cable.......
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby terri » November 6th, 2014, 9:19 pm

thanks Gigi!
I saw both of those earlier... they say "compatible cutting machine"... but neither says which cutters ARE compatible...
I was hoping someone could verify they have successfully cut TO a bullet From the android device...
i might just go ahead and get it and test it to find out...
you know me & software... the more the merrier lol...
(i swear, i am not an addict! :geek: )
terri

Postby terri » November 6th, 2014, 10:08 pm

update:
woohoot!!
i went ahead and got the scal android app...
AND the SB and 2 of my other cutters DO respond directly to the app...
without using network settings... just a usb adapter...
to clarify, the cutter connects directly to my galaxy note via usb... and it does respond to the app!
haven't tested anything else... (yet)... but i will!
...and will try the other 2 cutters after work tomorrow as well...
sweet dreams!!
terri

Postby pigtailpat » November 7th, 2014, 9:38 am

Oh lordy, if this is true, my space issues are over! I wonder if this would work with the cougar line..........I have a nook HD+ tablet...........it doesn't have a USB port, but I think the new samsung nooks do..........are there screen resolution requirements involved?
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby terri » November 7th, 2014, 4:22 pm

Hi Pat!!
i do not know about any resolution requirements...
i didn't see any, but that doesn't prove there aren't any, kwim...
i don't have a cougar to be able to test/verify it...
BUT... i DO see Black Cat... cougar, lynx, cougar plus and cougar pro on the drop down list of cutters to choose...
and i don't think Brandon would have them on the list if they didn't work.
i don't know really anything about the nooks...
my android tablet is a galaxy note 10.1
terri

Postby pigtailpat » November 7th, 2014, 4:49 pm

I am in the final process of my quilt (it was finished in Sept., but I had to put together a project for my niece's birthday in October - this delayed the hanging of my quilt). It is being hung this weekend (fingers crossed that hanging method will work). Once this is really all finished, I have to get back into plotter stuff, and believe me - investigation of the new android thing tops out my list. Thanks for posting as I would have never known about this.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby PennyDuncan » November 12th, 2014, 7:00 pm

Boy I am SO out of the loop!!! I didn't realize Brandon had this done....going to have to check it out myself!!!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby rachellann » November 19th, 2014, 10:27 am

This is something I think will be a winner. going to get the app downloaded in just a bit. I can't wait to see how it does.
Helping where I can when I can.
Using a 24" Silver Bullet Pro and also have a 18" Cougar
rachellann

Cutter: 18 Cougar, 24"Silver Bullet

Postby Elizabeth » November 19th, 2014, 5:12 pm

Still no smart phone here, so I won't need this one. Curious to hear how it works out for everyone, though!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby pigtailpat » November 20th, 2014, 7:13 am

For me, it may be possible to use my nook after all. I updated the device's OS to 4.4.2 kit-kat, and apparently, that OS supports OTG host controller. I just have to understand now which OTG cable I should get, because the nook has a unique 30 pin proprietary plug, the other end of which is a traditional USB plug. Once I understand that, I would be in a position to purchase the SCAL app. This could be truly liberating, as I would be able to move the machine to where I want, and simply design on the computer or review what files I want to cut, send to the nook and bring to the machine to cut. The current location of the machine is on my desktop, and it isn't the best place for using a large mat. I'm not sure if cutting large complex files would be good this way, but it definitely should be able to handle most tasks.

Rach - I would appreciate your review of the app, and please throw it a complex cutting file to see what is possible via android cutting.

Pat

UPDATE: I learned there isn't native support in kit-kat 4.4 for OTG at least insofar as the nooks are concerned. There is an android 5.0 coming out which *may* provide OTG support for the nook. So that is when I would need to investigate the SCAL app. Meanwhile, I will pursue the other thread and really would like to know about the new scal 4 and what improvements over 3 it made.
pigtailpat

Return to Sure Cuts A Lot