SCAL2 to SCAL3

SCAL2 to SCAL3

Postby cduchx » October 8th, 2014, 8:04 pm

A cpl of years ago I did a ton of designs in SCAL 2 for a hunting lodge - well they need some new lettering - long story - and I need to recut them.
I now use SCAL 3 with my lynx - I can't open them in scAL3. I can see them when I open their file - they show up in the preview - but they are empty when I open them...
I was able to open 1 out of 15 - and I saved it right away as a SCAL3 project - but then I went to open it to check...nothing is there. Is there a setting or something I am missing? I tried the show all layers...still nothing
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Cathy
cduchx

Cutter: Lynx

Re: SCAL2 to SCAL3

Postby cduchx » October 8th, 2014, 8:13 pm

btw - I can't WAIT to use my lynx on this project! No more moving things around and separating them to fit on the mat...oh my!
I sure hope I don't have to recreate them all.

Here's a little blurb in the whole ordeal....
I never did wall lettering for others - until that fateful day when our school board president (I work at the school!) asked me if I would want to do vinyl lettering for their new hunting lodge - how could I say no?

I went out there BEFORE they had the walls painted - measured, designed, yada yada yada... ordered the vinyl...

Then the Saturday BEFORE hunting season I went out to put it up and they textured the walls with GRAVEL! Ok - not gravel - but almost! The vinyl barely stuck to it! It was a nightmare! I was out there 5 times and felt terrible - it looked terrible..., (it's 50 miles from my house) - but she was so easy going and said it was OK - over the past 2 years, I've done touch ups - and have even used permanent vinyl - which sticks pretty well - now she wants me to redo the entire place - all in permanent vinyl -

So, that's where I'm at!

Thanks for listening :)
C
cduchx

Postby Gigi » October 8th, 2014, 8:45 pm

Hi Cathy -

Can you send me one of our SCAL 2 files to test? I dont have any so can't troubleshoot it, but have done some reading and want to see if it works, before I suggest it. You can send it to gigica@cox.net.

Thanks!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby cduchx » October 8th, 2014, 10:24 pm

I just sent it gigi! Thank you :)
cduchx

Postby Gigi » October 9th, 2014, 1:16 am

Welcome. I am still struggling with it - sent you a couple of emails! They open funny - if at all - and strange errors if I double click on the icon.
Would love to hear from someone who is opening SCAL 2 in SCAL 3 to see if they ever experienced similar issues. Perplexed but will keep working on it as I can. Will figure it out!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby dlhill » October 9th, 2014, 6:27 am

I have never had an issue. Mine seem to open fine.
Try opening them in scal 2, then export them as svg files, and see if that works.
Denise
paperpastime.com
scal 3 Lynx Inkscape
dlhill

Cutter: Blackcat lynx

Postby cduchx » October 9th, 2014, 8:27 pm

Well guys - still not working. I tried exporting it as an SVG - and that may work, but it will take quite a bit of work since it does 1 page at a time...but I did do that (1 page of the file) and saved it as SCUT3, closed and was able to open it back up...

UGH! I think I've lost confidence in myself! I have made tons of things - sooooo many in SCAL2 - and I've always gone back and used them over and over :(
cduchx

Postby Gigi » October 9th, 2014, 9:07 pm

They wont work for me, but I did email Brandon and I sent him the files and am waiting for a response. I have every confidence that he will have a good fix.

Don't give up!

And excuse my dumb question, but why do you have the file on more than one page??? Was that a SCAL 2 thing?

Gigi
Gigi

Postby cduchx » October 10th, 2014, 7:23 pm

Heck I don't even know anymore it's been so long since I did them... I think I did it so for cutting purposes... Well - I have to begin cutting tonight and burn the midnight oil :( Luckily I'm only replacing letters this time - but after hunting season is over...I'll be redoing all of them... why in the heck do I put myself through this? Work FT, FT Mom & wife, book keeper for my husband's business... takes all of the fun out of crafting :(
Chin up Cathy - you can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
cduchx

Postby Elizabeth » October 13th, 2014, 9:27 am

You CAN do it! I find it hard to juggle all of my responsibilities, too. It is often hard to balance the "want to do" list with the "have to do list". I do make sure that I find time for "craft therapy" every week, even if it means the dusting doesn't get done!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby PennyDuncan » October 13th, 2014, 9:41 am

cduchx I'm not sure if I would be of any particular help....but I would be more than happy to take a look at the file as well and see if I can offer any assistance.....if you would like you're welcome to email me at pennyduncan@outlook.com and I'll look at them this afternoon...NO PRESSURE.....just offering!! ;)
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Gigi » October 13th, 2014, 10:16 am

I can send you the files as well, Penny. I did email Brandon and am waiting for a response - they definitely respond strangely! :banghead:

Gigi
Gigi

Postby PennyDuncan » October 13th, 2014, 11:20 am

Gigi Ok.....I will go to lunch here in just a bit and will look at them if you send them over...and I will also look at your file from last night...I totally forgot about it when I finally got home!! I apologize!!!
PennyDuncan

Postby Gigi » October 13th, 2014, 2:42 pm

No worries - sending the other files now - thank you.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby cduchx » October 13th, 2014, 7:51 pm

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back on here! Thanks for the encouraging words Elizabeth! I definitely need time in my craft room - now that my boys are bigger -they don't "need" me as much so if I can drag myself in here at night - I'm golden :) It's getting in here that's the battle! Things don't really slow down until 8 or 9pm and then...I'm tired! BUT - I usually have Sundays - Sunday I refuse to go to town :)
Thanks go GiGi and Penny too - I hope someone has ideas for me - UGH! I was thinking maybe I have a bug or something too - way back when I posted a file on a site I was a part of - Dlhill was on it too - if I remember correctly - they told me it was wonky too - and that was only SCAL2...
Thanks again everyone :)
cduchx

Postby PennyDuncan » October 13th, 2014, 7:54 pm

cduchx Hey Ma'am....I did have a chance to look at these files for you....I was able to open the first and third file successfully.....and I IMPORTED the .scut2 file into SCAL3 then saved them as an .scut3 file and had no issues with them.....I show that both files are the same design.....and there are 2 pages in each file.......I am sending them back to Gigi so she can forward them directly to you.....

What I suggest trying is IMPORTING in your .scut2 files and them SAVE them as an .scut3 format once you open......NOTE if you want to Export them as an SVG format...you'll need to remember it will NOT save multiple PAGES in the SVG file...you would want to move the items from PAGE 2 to a new layer in PAGE 1 and then export as an SVG and you should be good to go...Hope that is as clear as mud!!! ;)
PennyDuncan

Postby Gigi » October 13th, 2014, 7:58 pm

Thanks Penny -

She tried to do that but her files would appear to save as a SCUT3 and then revert to SCUT2. Was strange.

Thanks for taking the time to work with them.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby cduchx » October 13th, 2014, 8:01 pm

I'm pretty sure I did try the importing before - but I'll give it another shot! I just may be able to spend more than 20 minutes on it tonight :) Everyone is done with homework and snuggled in tight with their VIDEO GAMES until bedtime! Sometimes Mom just has to let them break the rules :) I'm going to try it right now :)
cduchx

Postby PennyDuncan » October 13th, 2014, 8:07 pm

Hummmm....that's so interesting.....please don't think I was implying you didn't know what you were doing.....I apologize if it sounded that way..... ;) I hope they behave this time!!!! Fingers crossed!!! ;)
PennyDuncan

Postby PennyDuncan » October 13th, 2014, 8:10 pm

Gigi cduchx Hey ma'am....Just thinking out loud here...and perhaps you've already thought about this....but I am "wondering" if you might try reassociating the file format of the new file to read as an SCAL3 file.....
PennyDuncan

Next

Return to Sure Cuts A Lot