.png to svg

.png to svg

Postby tmgutierrez » August 20th, 2014, 7:47 pm

I searched to see if there was a post for converting .png to svg file for Sure Cuts Alot 3 but did not find anything. I have a whole collection of clipart that is .png. Is inkscape the easiest way and if so procedure please.

Thanks,
Toni Gutierrez
tmgutierrez

Cutter: 13"

Re: .png to svg

Postby Gigi » August 20th, 2014, 8:19 pm

The easiest way is to bring the file into SCAL 3. You have two options - you can selectFile> trace image and then select the image from the Browse menu popup and blackout trace assuming you just want an outline, or you can File>Place Image, get it the size that you want it, then select trace image and the pop up will appear with the trace. You may have to play around with the settings to get the best trace, but once you have it, it works for pretty much everything. Try switching between monochrome and color if you aren't getting enough detail or too much.

I hope that helps - that is the sort of short version . If it's clear as mud lmk and I will try again.

PS - most PNG images (at least the ones I just tried) come in larger than I want them, so it may be easier if you want to do a print and cut to place the image first, resize it and then trace it.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby tmgutierrez » August 21st, 2014, 5:30 pm

Well I tried both and all Scal did was sit and spin. Something I may be doing wrong?
tmgutierrez

Postby Gigi » August 21st, 2014, 5:34 pm

How large is the file? You may need to resize it first. Did it hang up when you were bringing the image in or tracing it. I only had it stall once on a large file and it eventually traced it.

If you can tell me where it is stalling and what system you are using (Windows or Mac) that might help.

Feel free to send me a file if you want me to check it. I did import and trace several png's yesterday just to be sure it worked.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby tmgutierrez » August 21st, 2014, 8:22 pm

Gigi you are so helpful. I tried it with another file and it did work. It hung up on the trace mode. I am on a pc running Windows Vista. I upgraded the memory recently. Thank you for your input. I need to learn SCAL better. I know it does so much more.
tmgutierrez

Postby Gigi » August 21st, 2014, 8:31 pm

No problem - glad to try to help. If you have a lot of internal detail, it might hang up a little trying to get all of that. Just be sure to check on the "black out" box so you just get the outline - assuming that is what you want. It should process more quickly that way. Also be sure your files are not too large. SCAL will process them, but it will take longer than it has to! It should trace quickly.

As far as learning, you are doing it - just take it a step at a time like you are - that makes it less frustrating :)

Gigi
Gigi

Postby tmgutierrez » September 3rd, 2014, 6:08 pm

So you can't really use a .png file for print and cut right?
tmgutierrez

Postby Gigi » September 3rd, 2014, 7:37 pm

No you can use a png file - you treat it just like a jpg. You bring it into SCAL and trace it. Often times pngs are larger than you want them, but you can easily resize the image and the svg file that is created when you trace it.

Hope that makes sense - the program handles a png just fine.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby tmgutierrez » September 4th, 2014, 10:13 am

When you do the trace you dont get all the detail to print do you? I think that is where I am confused. Thank you.
tmgutierrez

Postby Gigi » September 4th, 2014, 10:30 am

As mentioned earlier, check the black out box if you just want the outline trace and play with the detail button if you want more/less traced. Contrast as well changes the detail as does the color or monochrome.

The best thing you can do is trace an image and play with the different levels and boxes to get the desired effect and it's also a good way to learn what will give you the results you want. Just click the update box on the preview to see how each change works. Be sure your image has a clear outline to make it easier -

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Angel135612 » September 7th, 2014, 7:37 am

Actually, you need to use a .png file for Print and Cut. If you tried to use a jpeg, all you would get is a box around your design, since the jpeg has a background where the .png does not.
I personally prefer to use Inkscape to trace my design instead of SCAL. I want to mention that I haven't done any tracing lately, and haven't updated my SCAL to the latest version yet, so things may have improved in SCAL since the last time I have tried this. But SCAL always seemed to take too long to get a trace, and I wasn't very good at trying to remove parts that I didn't want/need in SCAL. But I could do it easily in Inkscape, so I just kept using what I was comfortable with. Someday, (after I retire) I will spend some time in SCAL to see if I can get better at if.

If you still need help with tracing in Inkscape, I would be willing to try to explain the steps to you. But there are videos out there that show how to do it that would probably be of more help. I know Penny Duncan had a few, as that is how I learned how to use Inkscape to trace images.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » September 7th, 2014, 11:05 am

Unless I happen to have a jpg, I have used jpgs all of the time and have no problem with a trace around the image. And the tracing is pretty instantaneous.

Just don't want anyone confused..... You might want to update :)

Gigi
Gigi

Postby PennyDuncan » September 21st, 2014, 10:08 pm

You know I used to do all my tracing in Inkscape as well...but with all the improvements Brandon has made with SCAL it is super easy to do a trace to make a shadow cut for a digi image in it now.......even easier and more precise then Inkscape if you can believe it...I thought you'll be SUPER impressed Angel135612 once you get a chance to update your software....he's made some very nice updates!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Return to Sure Cuts A Lot