How to Sync Mat and Cutter

How to Sync Mat and Cutter

Postby selkov » April 23rd, 2014, 8:40 am

I have adjusted the grid of the mat to be 1".

I align the cutter via the SB panel at x=0 / y=0 [starting corner] on the material I am cutting.

I position the cut on the virtual mat at x=1 / y=1 expecting a 1" boarder on top and left.

But what i get is a two inch boarder on the left.

How can i correct this?
selkov

Cutter: have not yet

Re: How to Sync Mat and Cutter

Postby LisaH » April 23rd, 2014, 9:21 am

Are you using Origin Point to cut or WYSIWYG?

You need to use WYSIWYG and make your virtual mat the exact same size as your media. Place your blade tip in the bottom right corner of the media and it will cut exactly as it is on your virtual mat.
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby selkov » April 24th, 2014, 9:22 am

I am using Wiziwig.
And the width of the mat what the roll is.
But it is all offset by an inch.
selkov

Postby LisaH » April 24th, 2014, 9:29 am

Just to clarify in my mind - your blade tip is set exactly on the right hand side of the media? What would be the bottom, right corner of the "mat"?
LisaH

Postby Gigi » April 24th, 2014, 12:59 pm

Can you show us a screen shot of the mat the way you have it set up in SCA: so we can see how you have it laid out on the virtual mat? Perhaps that will give us a clue?
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby selkov » April 30th, 2014, 12:52 pm

How do I post a screen shot?
selkov

Postby Gigi » April 30th, 2014, 1:05 pm

Assuming you have the screen shot saved as a photo, just click on the upload attachments below, and then add file - you can click on preview to be sure it shows in your post and then hit submit.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby selkov » May 6th, 2014, 10:39 am

Here you are.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
selkov

Postby LisaH » May 6th, 2014, 10:47 am

Where on the mat are you placing your designs / objects? If you have a screen shot of that, it would help.
LisaH

Postby selkov » May 19th, 2014, 6:54 am

Sorry for the delay in response. I use the machine at work infrequently. So I seem to get side tracked. But thank you for the continued support. The picture below represents what i need to cut as a stencil. The results from this mat will give be a 1" border all around. But to do this as you see I need to offset the pattern by 1 inch. basically i need to move the mat in relation to the loaded paper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
selkov

Postby Gigi » May 19th, 2014, 9:41 am

Not sure I understand, but from looking at your mat, you have it set 2 inches in on the right and said you are cutting WYSIWYG. Wherever you set your origin, it is going to cut 2 " in from the right because you have it that far over. If you just want an inch, move the stencil design to the right my an inch and set your origin in the lower right corner - it will cut as it is on your mat moving over an inch before cutting. Hope that helps.

You might also want to try cutting from origin. Just set your origin on the material where you want your cutting to begin (so you can see the border you are creating) and then cut. It will start cutting from that exact spot so you can clearly see where the stencil will cut. You might want to try both ways and see which you prefer.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby selkov » June 23rd, 2014, 10:41 am

Sorry, No, that's not the solution. The issue is when I set the cutout as you see above it DOES NOT CUT two inches from the edge. It is right ON THE EDGE.

It is like the paper in the machine is two inches to the right of where the screen says it is.

How to I align the cutters origin point to the edge of the physical paper?
selkov

Postby Gigi » June 23rd, 2014, 10:57 am

Are you sure your software is not set to origin? If you set your software to cut origin, and place your blade at the lower right corner of your paper, that will line up your image. But..... if you want a one inch border all away around, I would draw that box around the words. If you want it cut with the box around, just leave it as is and cut all. If not then cut WYSIWYG but hide the box layer. See if that helps.

Your question confuses me because you are asking how you align the cutter's origin point to the edge of the paper. That is just simply setting the blade at the lowermost right corner of the material. But you said earlier that you wanted a one inch border...... So I would again, draw the box around and cut it using origin. That way you will have your stenciled letters and the stencil cut out with the border you want.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby selkov » June 23rd, 2014, 11:00 am

Maybe this will help:
In the attached photo, the mat is set to 15" [paper width] by 3" [paper height].
The mat entered as seen with 2" border on the left and 3" on the right will actually print with 3" on the left and two on the right. And when I use the cutter to cut the paper there is also a 1" border to the right that does not get but.

-Es
scalot.jpg
selkov

Postby Gigi » June 23rd, 2014, 11:09 am

Where are you setting your origin on the actual paper? And I assume you are cutting WYSIWYG?

Have you done a reset of the machine to be sure that none of the internal settings have been thrown off accidentally?

Gigi
Gigi

Postby selkov » June 23rd, 2014, 1:42 pm

I am printing wiziwig. The paper is offset from the end so I can get the pinch rollers on it. If I keep the material over all the way to the right then the paper skews while cutting.
selkov

Postby Gigi » June 23rd, 2014, 6:53 pm

Ok - think you are combining several things unless I am reading this wrong.

First of all, you do not have to have the pinch rollers on the paper - most of us don't is we can avoid it. Where you put your paper on the mat has nothing to do with skewing. You should be able to place the paper anywhere on the mat and have a clean cut. Are you brayering the paper down?

The mat can skew if the pinch wheels are not properly aligned with the grit shaft underneath, but the paper won't skew if it is firmly adhered to the mat.

And I assume when you say you are printing WYSIWYG that you mean you are cutting. Right? You still didn't explain where you are setting your origin. Again, that can be set on the bottom right of your paper no matter where it is on your mat as long as you are not going out of cutting range on the left side.

Still think I am missing a piece of this puzzle......

Gigi
Gigi

Postby PennyDuncan » June 24th, 2014, 9:50 am

Can you try taking the mat out of the equation.......by that I mean...IF you're needing your ending stencil to be say a 15" x 3" then you want to make your CUSTOM virtual mat size to be a 15"x3" VIRTUAL MAT on your screen......now load your 15"x3" stencil material onto your mat...doesn't matter where you place it...just place it...make sure you brayer it down completely.....load into your machine...

NOW.....place your blade and the very bottom right corner of the STENCIL material....NOT the mat...but the STENCIL material.....click your scissors to cut and select WYSIWYG.........and cut.....This is telling the machine that your "Mat" is 15"x13" and it's going to base the cutting placement off that size......Does that help???????
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Postby Gigi » June 24th, 2014, 10:13 am

Thanks Penny! I was trying to say that and thought that was what he was saying - but you said it so much better!!

Thank you - hope it helps!! :)

Gigi
Gigi

Postby PennyDuncan » June 24th, 2014, 10:26 am

You're very welcome Gigi!!! I hope it helps!! ;)
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Next

Return to Sure Cuts A Lot