Virtual Mat vs. Actual Mat

Virtual Mat vs. Actual Mat

Postby MagsB » April 20th, 2014, 10:11 pm

I am using SCAL 3 and just got my Silver Bullet. I previously used a Cricut machine, so I am not experienced with cutting software with this many options. Is there some way that I can change the orientation of the measurement marking on the virtual mat to match the layout of the Silver Bullet machine? It is making me crazy when cutting sample pieces to have to count off the markings.
Thanks,
Mags the Newbie.

PS. Is there a simple eraser function to remove unwanted parts of a traced image? Sometimes the nodes are difficult to select and remove without distorting the shape of the object.
Mags Bonham
Really Unique Creations
www.MagsBonham.com
MagsB

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet

Re: Virtual Mat vs. Actual Mat

Postby Gigi » April 20th, 2014, 10:39 pm

In the SCAL options across the top, open "Cutter" and in the drop down menu you will see Mat Orientation and Mat Size. Click on Mat Size and you can click on one of the ones listed or you can click on custom mat and make it whatever size you want. Is that what you mean?

I rarely use the same size mat as what I am cutting on so not sure why you are cutting off markings. Are you cutting WYSIWYG rather than origin? If you cut origin, you can just put your blade in the lower right of your paper piece and it will cut your shape there no matter where it is on the mat.
Hope that helps.

I don't do a lot of manual tracing so will let someone who does answer that - tend to just let the software do the tracing :)
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Elizabeth » April 21st, 2014, 12:54 pm

Rather than node editing, I often place an additional shape on my mat and use the Boolean join functions (in the path drop down menu, for example, path-intersection, or path- exclusion) to "erase" parts of shapes.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby MagsB » April 21st, 2014, 8:19 pm

Gigi, I did set up a custom mat. I can't place the material at the bottom right corner because I'm need to keep the material away from the rollers. I'm using 'origin', but when I'm trying to place the material to match where it is on the virtual mat I can't just match up the grid lines by number. Say the cut item is at y=6, x=12 on the virtual mat. I can't set the material at the same point on the real mat because the numbered marks are opposite each other. y=0, x=0 is in the top lefthand corner on the virtual mate and at the bottom right hand corner on the real mat. It's just time consuming and annoying. Are you saying that the cutter will start at the origin point no matter where the item to be cut is placed on the virtual mat?

Elizabeth, I don't understand what you are saying at all. I'm very new to using this type of software.
Mags Bonham
Really Unique Creations
www.MagsBonham.com
MagsB

Postby Gigi » April 21st, 2014, 9:28 pm

Yes....... you can have the image on the middle of your virtual mat, but if you sent the origin at the bottom of your paper wherever it is on your mat, that is where it will cut - that will be your bottom-most point. Do you need some screen shots for it to make sense??

Here is more information in the Learning Center. http://learn.silverbulletcutters.com/sc ... l-cut-out/

Here is the section in the Learning Center on node editing and drawing. Since you are new to the software, give yourself time to really learn the basics before you take on a lot of node editing. http://learn.silverbulletcutters.com/sc ... d-drawing/

I think if you just give yourself a little time,especially since you are new to this software, you will be fine. Just take little steps and feel comfortable with simple things first. Just trying to save you additional frustration!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Elizabeth » April 22nd, 2014, 6:18 am

Don't worry, Mags, with time and practice, you will get it all sorted out. There are good videos on the SCAL site. That's how I learned how most of the features work. (I guess I didn't learn how to explain them well, though! LOL) I will try work up some screen shots of what I was trying to explain to make it a bit more clear.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby MagsB » April 22nd, 2014, 10:40 am

screen shots would be great. I'm a visual learner. Thanks for the patience and guidance. I guess I need a little bit more of the former.
Mags Bonham
Really Unique Creations
www.MagsBonham.com
MagsB

Postby Gigi » April 22nd, 2014, 5:15 pm

There are a lot of screen shots in the learning center - have you gone over those links again? I think they will help a lot....

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MagsB » April 23rd, 2014, 11:11 am

GOT IT!!!! Thanks.
Mags Bonham
Really Unique Creations
www.MagsBonham.com
MagsB