SCAL 3 - pattern and proportions...

SCAL 3 - pattern and proportions...

Postby cduchx » February 27th, 2014, 10:16 pm

My "keep proportions" does seem to be working...any ideas? I have used SCAL 1 & 2 - check the box..and it works...but not with SCAL 3

Also - I would like to fill a shape with a pattern...I watched the video, but I think my request is different...here is my deal :)

I have a heart shape - I want to fill it with chevron... plus keep the border of the heart... the cut all in 1 piece...crazy Idea?

Any suggestions will be appreciated :)
Thanks!
Cathy
cduchx

Cutter: Lynx

Re: SCAL 3 - pattern and proportions...

Postby Elizabeth » February 27th, 2014, 10:35 pm

Hi Cathy,

If you go to the edit menu, then preferences you should be able to change the defaults for proportions. There are a couple of options there:
SCAL Capture 3.PNG

I'm not sure what you are asking re: adding pattern to your heart shape. Does your heart have a fancy border that you don't want filled with pattern? If you just want a heart filled with chevrons, you can change the fill to pattern in the appearance menu, choose the pattern you want in the pop up menu, then use print and cut.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby cduchx » February 27th, 2014, 10:38 pm

Thank you - proportions SOLVED :)
Yes - I'd like to cut 1 heart that is filled with chevron... no printing - all vinyl...I figured out how to add it to my shape - but when I preview it...the chevron doesn't show up in the heart.
cduchx

Postby Elizabeth » February 27th, 2014, 10:50 pm

You're welcome.

Do you want something like this for your heart?
chevron heart_ejmh.svg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Elizabeth

Postby cduchx » February 27th, 2014, 11:31 pm

WOW!!! Perfect! How in the heck did you do that? Oooo the possibilities :) Thank you soo much!!!
I must go to bed - YAWN - back tomorrow night :)
cduchx

Postby Gigi » February 28th, 2014, 12:06 am

Thanks Elizabeth! Looks great!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Elizabeth » February 28th, 2014, 10:01 am

Hi Cathy,

That was just a "quickie" to see if I knew what you wanted. I opened the first chevron file that I found in my collection, and put a heart from the library on the mat with it. I resized the heart to fit over the chevrons (make a duplicate for later use) and chose path "front minus back" (or back minus front, whichever works. If you get wrong one, just control+z undo, and choose the other) You should get heart shaped chevrons, but without a border.

Select the second heart and make a shadow layer, choose path "front minus back" as above. This will make a heart outline. Use the centering buttons to layer the two elements, resize one of them so that there is a tiny bit of overlap. Finally, select them both and do path-union to weld them.

Have fun with it! (I do this all the time to make stencil designs.)

Elizabeth

Postby cduchx » February 28th, 2014, 9:58 pm

Thank you Elizabeth!!! I couldn't wait to get done with my "chores" and get to my SCAL :) It is working!!! I have a heart! BUT - I still need to do some tweeking - my chevron is kind of wonky - but once I get it perfect...I'm saving to use for all my shapes! Once I get it perfected, I hope to share it :)
Thank you again - so much!!!
btw - I cut my first vinyl saying (30 in long) last night w/o a mat! It turned out great! (after a few practice runs with contact paper)
cduchx

Postby Elizabeth » March 1st, 2014, 9:30 am

So glad I could help, Cathy! There are so many ways to use that technique.

Glad you are having success with the vinyl. I haven't tried anything giant yet, but I sure like doing little projects. There is something very satisfying about cutting vinyl. I think it is getting really clean cuts on intricate details that I love. I really should use it more!

Elizabeth

Return to Sure Cuts A Lot