NEW NEED HELP WITH FONT

NEW NEED HELP WITH FONT

Postby rlemus30 » January 1st, 2014, 9:39 pm

Hello I am very very new to the cutting world and using SCAL 3. I am trying to use my engraving tool for the very first time and the font won't fill, it only shows the outline. I want to engrave the entire letter not just the outline of the letter. I looked on the silver bullet learning center and in their example when they show the font it is filled. I couldn't find any help on SCAL. Also on the engraving tutorial on the silver bullet learning center it says "It is also important to note that when engraving, you should set the SCAL cutting type drop down box to Pen instead of Blade" I have no idea how to do this in SCAL3. I am so lost....Please help!!! :o
rlemus30

Cutter: 13" Silver Bullet

Re: NEW NEED HELP WITH FONT

Postby LisaH » January 2nd, 2014, 4:55 pm

To fill the letter you have to use the Eggbot extension with Inkscape or something such as a postscript fill in Corel Draw. I have no idea about AI, since I don't have that software.
Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby LisaH » January 3rd, 2014, 7:15 pm

rlemus30 here is a topic with information about engraving and a link to another topic telling how viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4906
LisaH

Postby pigtailpat » January 4th, 2014, 8:31 am

Personally, to engrave letters, I would skip the hassle of a fill, and use a single line font that does not need to be filled. I have engraved with the cat on acrylic, while the end result is beautiful, it takes a long time. I engrave only once in a blue moon, and it is usually a very special project or occasion. I love the flexibility to be able to use it every now and then, but it isn't an everyday thing for me - due to time. I just don't have enough time.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby kim » January 4th, 2014, 11:02 am

Pat, yes it does take a while but it is sooooo worth it! I just bump my speed to the highest it will go and then start doing something else while waiting. Usually doesn't take toooo long unless I am doing something really detailed and large.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby pigtailpat » January 4th, 2014, 2:07 pm

Hi Kim - well - one of these days I'll find some media worthy of engraving that is easy to cut. If I could find a media that I could engrave AND cut easily, I would be more prone to engrave on a more frequent basis. It has be really special for me to do it.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby LisaH » January 4th, 2014, 2:10 pm

I do the engraving frequently and while single line fonts or line work can be gorgeous, the fill is amazing and can make the difference in the impact of the project. Lots of times I will combine both into 1 project.
image.jpg

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LisaH

Postby MeFlick » January 4th, 2014, 5:35 pm

Beautiful work Lisa. I have engraved once. Doing more is still on that long and ever growing To Do List!
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby kim » January 4th, 2014, 6:06 pm

WOW, Lisa, that looks great! So far, I have engraved copper sheets, mylar and the mirrored sheets. Still more things to try out! I bought some bronze sheets that I am dying to try out but since those sheets were very pricey, it will have to be something special and will have to do a trial run on something else first. So far, I haven't tried cutting out the same material that I engraved.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby pigtailpat » January 4th, 2014, 7:32 pm

Amazing work Lisa. Maybe someday for me.

Pat
pigtailpat

Postby Angel135612 » January 4th, 2014, 8:30 pm

Beautiful Lisa, love the Santa on the first plaque.... where did you get that file, if you don't mind my asking. I think it would be cute in vinyl also. I really want to try engraving, but haven't found any project that I need to do it for, so other than just playing around with the engraving tip and some soda cans when I first got the machine, I haven't done any.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby tmgutierrez » January 15th, 2014, 2:30 pm

Hi everyone wondering if there is a font in Sure Cuts a lot that you have found that is good for engraving. I have read that the best is a line font. Suggestions?
tmgutierrez

Cutter: 13"

Postby PennyDuncan » January 15th, 2014, 6:24 pm

tmgutierrez I think you'll find any font will work beautifully for engraving.....but if you're wanting it "filled in" you'll want to do a engraving fill through either Corel Draw, Inkscape or Illustrator to have the words all engraved......
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Postby Angel135612 » January 16th, 2014, 12:11 am

And just an FYI, SCAL doesn't "have" fonts in the program...it uses the fonts you have on your computer. So you can use just about any font you can find. However not all fonts are good for use with the cutter, so always test them out before using them in your project.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby kyndra » February 10th, 2014, 12:53 pm

A little off topic but I am looking at cutters, which one did you use to do this engraving.
kyndra

Cutter: Prospective Buyer

Postby LisaH » February 14th, 2014, 7:53 am

Hi kyndra, I used my Silver Bullet Pro 24"
LisaH

Return to Sure Cuts A Lot