Importing PDFs

Importing PDFs

Postby Angel135612 » August 15th, 2013, 8:00 am

I was trying to import a PDF to SCAL the other day, and it has mulitple pages, but I couldn't find a way to import different pages. Is there something I'm missing? What do I need to do in order to get to another page??

Thanks for any help.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: Importing PDFs

Postby PennyDuncan » August 15th, 2013, 2:02 pm

Hummmmmmmmmmm...good question Diane...I don't believe you can import multiple pages in a file at one time.......multiple layers of an svg file definitely but I think pdfs are read differently......That would be a great question for Brandon.....
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Angel135612 » August 15th, 2013, 6:55 pm

Penny, I don't want to import multiple pages of a PDF, I just want to be able to GET to another page in a PDF file that has more than one page. I have a few PDF files that are catalogs, and I would like to get to something other than the first page. I can do it in Inkscape or MTC, but would like to be able to do it in SCAL as well. I didn't know if I was just missing something or if it was something that can not be done in SCAL.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby MichelleMyBelle » September 2nd, 2013, 3:16 pm

Diane, this is something I've been trying to figure out as well. If you find a solution please post it. :) Would be great if we could do it in SCAL, instead of going back and forth between programs. Saving a couple steps. :)
MichelleMyBelle

Cutter: Pro 18, Foil Master, Platinum 24"

Postby maenad6 » August 28th, 2015, 1:56 am

I was searching the Internet for this same issue and came across this post from 2013.
I have a multiple page .pdf document and want to import the cut image from page 2.
Is there a way to view the second or third page of a .pdf document when importing into SCAL?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“The life you have led doesn’t need to be the only life you have.” – Anna Quindlen
maenad6

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24"

Postby Gigi » August 28th, 2015, 3:44 am

Ok - I don't know if this is the perfect way, but try this. It just worked for me. It isn't all done in SCAL, but at least it can be handled just using Adobe Acrobat and SCAL. In the meantime I will email Brandon and see if he can include the option to import isolated pdf pages into SCAL directly...

Open the pdf file in Adobe Acrobat. Go to the page you want to separate (I went to page 2 since it was already importing page 1) . Click on the Tools Panel (lowest bar above the image - says Tools - Fill & Sign - Comment. Click Tools)
You will get a menu on the right side. If there is not a menu opening under Pages, then click on it to open the options under Pages. See photo below. Click on Extract. You will get a pop up menu (see photo #2) Click on separate pages. Click ok and save wherever you want - name it what you want. Then you can import it separately.
It may not be the BEST option, but it works!
You now have two separate files that import perfectly. I did a "break apart" to remove the Brother text at the top and then exporfted as an svg file so it was easy to upload here so you can see it. If you import it into SCAL, you will have page 2.

Hope that helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby scrappydew » August 28th, 2015, 7:58 pm

maenad6 wrote:I was searching the Internet for this same issue and came across this post from 2013.
I have a multiple page .pdf document and want to import the cut image from page 2.
Is there a way to view the second or third page of a .pdf document when importing into SCAL?

I haven't found a way to do it with SCAL natively but here's your page two.
"If you always wait until the last minute... then it only takes a minute"
http://www.scrappydew.com
scrappydew

Postby Gigi » August 28th, 2015, 9:00 pm

Thanks Rob. I attached page 2 as an svg as well so it's ready to go. But I should have also have attached the pdf. Thanks! And I have reached out to Brandon to see if he can either tell us how to do it or update in a future version. :)

Gigi
Gigi

Postby scrappydew » August 29th, 2015, 9:27 am

Gigi wrote:Thanks Rob. I attached page 2 as an svg as well so it's ready to go. But I should have also have attached the pdf. Thanks! And I have reached out to Brandon to see if he can either tell us how to do it or update in a future version. :)

Sorry I didn't see it. Now she has both :)
scrappydew

Postby Gigi » August 29th, 2015, 9:45 am

No worries. Absolutely - options! :)
Thanks.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Gigi » September 1st, 2015, 8:52 pm

I have REALLY good news..........

I heard from Brandon today and he had me test a new version of SCAL 4 that has an option when importing a PDF to choose the page(s) you want to open. You get a popup window after you select Import PDF. It worked beautifully. I am sure it will be available for download very soon. It will be a GREAT option to have and super easy to use!

Hope this is encouraging and helpful to those of you who have a lot of PDFs!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby scrappydew » September 1st, 2015, 10:24 pm

Yep it here's a screen grab.
Screenshot 2015-09-01 18.18.13.png
scrappydew

Postby scrappydew » September 22nd, 2015, 10:39 pm

The new update came out a few days ago if you didn't update. This issue is fixed.
scrappydew

Postby maenad6 » September 27th, 2015, 8:35 am

I've been away for a bit but I'm still not sure how I missed this!! My workaround was similar to what Gigi and Rob suggested- to break apart the pdf - but WOW! this is a really helpful update for SCAL.
Thank you to everyone who jumped on this to help!!
“The life you have led doesn’t need to be the only life you have.” – Anna Quindlen
maenad6

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24"

Postby GwendolynChurchill » October 28th, 2016, 2:27 am

It would be hilarious,however this is something I've also been trying to figure out as well. As soon as the solution is found, let me know, PLEASE. In fact, "The life you have led doesn’t need to be the only life you have." - http://bigpaperwriter.com/blog/anna-quindlen-essays. Best regards!
GwendolynChurchill

Cutter: MT67

Return to Sure Cuts A Lot