Help converting files to SVG from Silhouette studio

Help converting files to SVG from Silhouette studio

Postby nikaylaking » June 19th, 2013, 3:17 pm

Hi

I have quite a few Silhouette Studio designs that I would love to be able to convert to an SVG format so I can use them in SCAL with my Silver Bullet(arriving this week). I have installed the 2.0 version of Silhouette studio and upgraded to the Designer Edition which I believe is the right starting point. I tried to fill in the design in black, remove red lines etc and then "save as". The only file type option was the "Silhouette Studio". I have about 60 designs I purchased from the Silhouette on line store it would be great to able to use them and to order some more in the future. I am very new to much of this but am so willing to figure things out. Any help or suggestions would be so appreciated :D
nikaylaking

Cutter: SB1800

Re: Help converting files to SVG from Silhouette studio

Postby Barbara » June 19th, 2013, 6:28 pm

When you get to save as you add .svg to the file name. It only works with up to Silhouette v2 (I think). I have two versions of Silhouette Studio on my computer and have renamed one to Silhouette 1.9. Make sure you tick the never upgrade box otherwise it won't work.
Hope this helps.
Barbara

Postby nikaylaking » June 19th, 2013, 6:34 pm

Thank so much Barbara...I did manage to "get it" as I didn't realize you could just add the svg to a name and make it so. So happy to be using all the files I purchased for my new Silver Bullet machine.
nikaylaking

Postby kim » June 19th, 2013, 8:25 pm

Were you able to do it? Sorry, but I don't get to my email as often. It is more trouble to do my email via webmail so the forum is the best way for me to communicate. Plus the last two days have been horrible as I have had to be gone all day long and then I am just plain exhausted. Tomorrow morning I am out again to take my cousin for her blood test. And Friday, Dad has to go to the VA again. I will be sooooo glad when the weekend gets here. I have so much work to do and it is just piling up. I guess I will get to it next week because I need a crafting day just to regroup and relax.

My roses are turning out soooo much better with the watercolor paper. Yippee! Plus I am using Penny's files that have the five petals rather than the six. I just can't get the 6 petals to alternate and work right.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby nikaylaking » June 20th, 2013, 10:14 am

I did "get it" finally, a little embarrassing as it was so painfully simple in retrospect. I didn't realize you could just type the file extension after a name and presto....it's an svg file. Always learning!!
Your plate sounds full and I do thank you for taking the time to help me bumble through my new die cutter maze of challenges. I am super excited to get my machine and start creating. Thank goodness for art and creativity to balance and center us with all the other life "stuff" that goes on.

Thanks again Kim
nikaylaking

Postby PennyDuncan » July 2nd, 2013, 9:49 am

Good Morning Everyone...Just thought I would share this in case anyone was still looking for it......as I had someone email me about where to find it and converting her files.....so I did some searching online and found the old version of the Silhouette Studio 1.9 ....I'm sure you all are set now..but thought I would go ahead and post it....

http://www.12mind.com/~gidzes/Robo/silh ... o1.9.0.zip
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby rachellann » July 4th, 2013, 8:16 am

Another thing is when saving from 1.9 software is to make sure all parts are broke apart before saving as svg it was the only way I could get it to properly save to an svg, I run both versions 1.9 and 2.7.18 only able to make the 1.9 save as an svg.
Helping where I can when I can.
Using a 24" Silver Bullet Pro and also have a 18" Cougar
rachellann

Cutter: 18 Cougar, 24"Silver Bullet

Postby april » February 22nd, 2015, 11:52 pm

Hello everybody,im April and new with SB and Scal. I've been doing some reading and i was sent to these old posts and i hope you can help me. I'm trying to convert silhouette studio files to svg, so that i can cut in scal. I've seen in old comments that you have to have some kind of version from silhouette studio, so that i can be able to convert directly to svg..but not sure which version is it. Are we talking about the designer edition or the silhouette software coming with the machine? please help, i don't wanna have an amazing silver B and not being able to use my old purchased files from Silhouette store. :) thank you for the help
april

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24

Postby Gigi » February 23rd, 2015, 12:08 am

April -

Two options - you can try downloading the earlier software as discussed in this software above OR

Go to this thread viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4951&p=88848&hilit=converting+studio+files#p88848 and the steps are explained and for this one you dont need the earlier software. It will take a little time but it works.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby MeFlick » February 23rd, 2015, 8:50 am

april wrote:Hello everybody,im April and new with SB and Scal. I've been doing some reading and i was sent to these old posts and i hope you can help me. I'm trying to convert silhouette studio files to svg, so that i can cut in scal. I've seen in old comments that you have to have some kind of version from silhouette studio, so that i can be able to convert directly to svg..but not sure which version is it. Are we talking about the designer edition or the silhouette software coming with the machine? please help, i don't wanna have an amazing silver B and not being able to use my old purchased files from Silhouette store. :) thank you for the help
emphasis added

To clarify - in order to save a Silhouette file to an SVG file you have to have the DESIGNER EDITION of their software (extra purchase) AND it has to be either VERSION 1.9 or 2.0. No other version will work.This was a limited time "glitch" that they "fixed" when they found out about it. In addition - this only works with the PC VERSION of 1.9 or 2.0 - it did not work with the Mac version. Further as already noted above - it will not give you the option to save the file to an SVG file, you have to manually add the .svg file extension to the file name when you go to the "file save." Also note - this still may not work if you don't already have a program on your computer that works with and saves directly to the .svg file format (like the Free Inkscape) so you may need to make sure your computer "recognizes" svg files or it will still add on the .studio file extension to the file name you gave it with the .svg file extension and not be recognized and work as an svg file in other programs.

IF you have an older Silhouette machine and still have the CD that shipped with it with the program on it - you can also check your CD program and see if it is version 1.9 or 2.0 (the original cameos shipped with 2.0). If not, you can follow the link that Penny provided above to obtain version 1.9 probably. If all that fails, you can also "google" around to see what you can find as there are other "links" to the older versions out there on the net.

Also note - that IF you already have a later version of the Silhouette program on the same computer that you want to put the older version 1.9 or 2.0 on - then you must first UNINSTALL the newer version of the program, install the older version and mark it to not do automatic upgrades and rename it and then reinstall the newer version. I am fortunate to have more than 1 computer at my house so I keep them on separate computers - easier that way! ;)
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Return to Sure Cuts A Lot