Tracing an Image in SCAL

Tracing an Image in SCAL

Postby Angel135612 » September 13th, 2012, 2:39 pm

I'm trying to do more work in SCAL, and having a problem. I can do what I want easily in Inkscape, (thanks to Pennys video that I watched last year to trace an image and get just the parts I want to cut out). But in SCAL, I'm getting all kinds of little bits that I don't want to have the cut line for. I'm using some clip art from DigiScrapKits. In Inkscape, I can trace the image, and easily select just the outline and any inside cuts that I want/need. But in SCAL, I'm getting so many areas traced that it is taking a lot of time to delete the parts I don't want with out getting the parts I want to keep selected. Is there an easy way to do this that I'm not seeing?? Since I'm not that proficient with SCAL, I figure I'm doing something wrong or just don't know the correct settings to get just the outline, or very few details to trace. I did try changing the numbers for the detail, but I'm still getting a lot more than I want to have to deal with.

Also, if I do the work in Inkscape, how do I get the image and the cut lines imported into SCAL, so I don't have to try and line them up and get them the correct size. I have been able to import the cuts, but the image doesn't come with it. Again, I figure it is something I'm doing wrong. I can't seem to figure out how import an image into SCAL with out tracing it.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: Tracing an Image in SCAL

Postby Thyme » September 13th, 2012, 3:17 pm

If you do the work in Inkscape and then save it, the latest version of Scal will import the image as well as the cutlines. There is also a plugin n ow that allows you to send from Inkscape to Scal in the same way that you can with Signcut
Thyme

Postby Suzan » September 13th, 2012, 3:19 pm

There is a plug in that will export 2 scal from inkscape. I know it is here, Penny posted it. But I don't use inkscape so I don't have it. I will look for it though.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Suzan » September 13th, 2012, 3:19 pm

Ok Dawn is here to save the day. She must have posted just ahead of me. Have fun Diane
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » September 13th, 2012, 3:20 pm

Dawn-

Don't you have to embed the image first or does that not now apply with the new send to SCAL option. BTW, ,love sending directly to SCAL from inkscape!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Thyme » September 13th, 2012, 3:59 pm

Yes, apologies you do need to still embed the image. But once you have done that, the image and the cut line will export to Scal as one item so they are perfectly lined up
Thyme

Postby colleen » September 13th, 2012, 4:09 pm

Hi Angel: Do you have a link to Penny's video. I checked her website and You Tube and I do dot see one regarding tracing. I am trying to learn SCAL too and Inkscape as well. So that video sounds like it could help me.

Thanks
colleen

Cutter: 13 in. Cougar MTC/SCAL

Postby Susan G. » September 13th, 2012, 4:11 pm

Diane--

In case you haven't had time to look, Penny's August 30th post under software/SCAL (here) has a link for the plug-in.
Susan G.

Cutter: 24" Black Cat Cougar

Postby Angel135612 » September 13th, 2012, 4:38 pm

Thanks for the replies... I didn't install the extension to export to SCAL on my desktop since I don't have my cutter set up to cut from here. I usually design on my desktop, then open the file on my laptop, and send it to my cutter, so I will try embedding the image and see how that works for me. I really don't like to design on my laptop, just something about how it responds, I find it much easier to do everything on my desktop. Just don't have room to set up my cutter in my office, so have the laptop for sending designs to my cutter.

Christine, I'm sorry, I don't know when Penny did the tutorial, and I can't find it either. I know I remember watching it when I was first trying to learn Inkscape, and it gave me a lot of good information about different aspects of the program that I didn't know before. Hopefully she will read this thread and know which tutorial I'm talking about and know where it is. But when I did a search for one, I found this one from CleverSomeDay.. she has a lot of good tutorials if you haven't seen her blog.http://cleversomeday.wordpress.com/prin ... -cut-scal/ It isn't a video, and I think this may be an old tut, so it may not show the most up to date info on SCAL, but the basics should still help you to learn Inkscape.

Susan G, thanks for the link. I think I downloaded it on my laptop, but didn't think about it for my desktop, since I don't use my cutter with my desktop.
Angel135612

Postby PennyDuncan » September 13th, 2012, 5:05 pm

Hey Ladies....I'm wondering if this might be the video you're referring to?????

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3WtT4 ... mtWWXpFRDQ
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Angel135612 » September 13th, 2012, 5:36 pm

Penny, I clicked on the link and it says I don't have access to that page. I did click to ask for it, so hopefully you will see it soon and I can see if that is the same video. I remember you were using a wreath or something similar and selecting some areas other than the outline.. and you showed how to use the outline mode, which I didn't know about before watching your video. I just remember getting a lot of tips about inkscape in that one video, even though I was still having problems getting good traces back then.
Angel135612

Postby newbiecat » September 13th, 2012, 5:50 pm

Hi all
If it helps I created a video about tracing in Inkscape and the sending direct to Scal using lettering delights. There is also another one on how to use the layers palette in SCAL3 Print and Cut - whizz through the first part until about 7 mins in and there I show how to use the layers in SCAL to cut without tracing. It may well suit what you are trying to do with your digikit.

My youtube channel is newbiecrafter

hope it helps
Pandora
newbiecat

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet

Postby PennyDuncan » September 13th, 2012, 6:26 pm

I did see it and I've since made it public.....so you shouldn't have any problems now.....
PennyDuncan

Postby Angel135612 » September 13th, 2012, 6:38 pm

Hi Penny, Just took a look at the video, and that isn't the one I remember. I think you were using a wreath or vase of flowers and I remember there was not only the outline, but some areas inside the design you wanted to keep the cut line for because the design wasn't filling that area, and you didn't want your paper showing in that area. Although this is a good video also :-)
Angel135612

Postby PennyDuncan » September 13th, 2012, 7:15 pm

Ok...I "think" this is the one you were referring to.......this was back when I was using Signcut....but I think it will still be helpful.... https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3WtT4 ... U80V3gtU00
PennyDuncan

Postby LisaH » September 13th, 2012, 7:22 pm

Yes...pretty sure this is the one Diane is talking about, Thanks Penny!!
LisaH

Postby PennyDuncan » September 13th, 2012, 7:23 pm

Great!!!! You're VERY welcome!!! ;)
PennyDuncan

Postby Angel135612 » September 13th, 2012, 7:35 pm

Yep, that is the one I remember!!!! Thank you, I'm going to watch the whole thing and refresh my memory. Even though you were using it with Signcut, I think it still works for SCAL as well. I just remember that when I first started to learn Inkscape and was totally lost on the whole thing, watching that video helped me learn just a few of the basics that I needed to use the program for the things I wanted to do, and then from there, I was able to learn more as I needed it. But with out those basics of even seeing the word Path at the bottom of the window to know you did have a path selected to how to change fill and stroke, I would probably STILL be lost in Inkscape.
Angel135612

Postby PennyDuncan » September 13th, 2012, 7:48 pm

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh....Well I'm thrilled that it helped you!!!! Well if it's helpful I do have the others I shared a couple of years ago that you are also welcome to view..... you can find them here.... https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3WtT4 ... EdQejdKRzg
PennyDuncan

Postby Angel135612 » September 13th, 2012, 8:09 pm

WOW Penny, I didn't realize you had so many tutorials on Inkscape.. Now I need to MAKE the time to watch them all. (Notice I didn't say FIND the time... if I wait to find it, I never will, but I will make the time to watch your videos becasue I'm sure I will find something useful in each of them. If nothing else, it will be a great refresher on how to use Inkscape.
Angel135612

Next

Return to Sure Cuts A Lot