Out of Square Rectangle

Out of Square Rectangle

Postby Susan G. » July 3rd, 2012, 5:02 pm

I don't know if this is a problem with my Cougar, Inkscape, SCAL3 or me -- probably the latter :?

I designed a tri-fold/gatefold card in Inkscape. The measurements are 5" by 10" plus a little closure tab of about 1". I placed lines around the card so it could be cut out by the Cougar. However, when I cut the card out, one end of the card measures 5" and the other end of the card measures 4 1/2" so it looks like a trapezoid, not a rectangle. The rectangle looks fine in Inkscape and the nodes for the four corners are all the same for their respective X and Y axis. The rectangle also looks fine when I import it into SCAL3 and I am placing the mat in the Cougar just fine.

Also, any of the dash lines I have used for the score lines are cutting all the way through.

Can anyone help with either of these problems.

Thanks, Susan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Susan G.

Cutter: 24" Black Cat Cougar

Re: Out of Square Rectangle

Postby Thyme » July 3rd, 2012, 5:20 pm

It sounds as though you are experiencing skewing of the mat or media.
Make sure the media is firmly stuck to the mat.
Make sure that your pinch wheels are below the red rectangles.
Make sure that the two outer pinch wheels are as far apart as possible - they don't need to be on the media, only on the mat
Cut in landscape orientation rather than portrait
Check you are not using too much speed or too much force
Check if your blade is blunted or chipped
Thyme

Postby rachellann » July 3rd, 2012, 6:21 pm

the score lines in inkscape when you saved to evg did you group every thing? I ungrouped them then selected the two lines ment to be score lines and cheked them to see what they came in as and then did a storke to path ans saved as svg they came in as dashed lines after that into scal 3 not sure if that is the way everybody else does it but it worked for me
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Helping where I can when I can.
Using a 24" Silver Bullet Pro and also have a 18" Cougar
rachellann

Cutter: 18 Cougar, 24"Silver Bullet

Postby rachellann » July 3rd, 2012, 6:26 pm

as for the sizing I have experinced that sometimes svg come in either smaller or larger than they should into scal 3
rachellann

Postby Gigi » July 3rd, 2012, 6:38 pm

And on the score lines, are you decreasing the pressure so it wont cut all the way through? (ask me how I know that??) I have learned a LOT of things the hard way! LOL

I think your other questions were addressed - just wanted to add that.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Susan G. » July 3rd, 2012, 6:49 pm

CAGigi

I read one of your responses to someone else who didn't know how you score lines. I was eventually going to contact you, so I was thrilled to hear from you. I have some dumb questions for you:

1. If you decrease the pressure, does that mean you have to run the card through the machine twice -- once for cutting and another time for scoring?

2. Can you indicate different colors for different types of cutting between Inkscape and SCAL3?

BTW, I think we are fairly close neighbors. I live just north of Escondido.
Susan G.

Postby Gigi » July 3rd, 2012, 7:00 pm

OMG Susan - we are close as I am in Oceanside!!! Always nice to meet someone else from So. CA!!

1. Yes and no!! It would be two different cuts. Yes I put score lines in a different color and cut them first at a lower pressure. Then when the machine returns to the origin I just increase the pressure to cut, pick the card outline color,and cut away. I said yes and no because it is two different operations, but you really arent resetting the cardstock - just the pressure and the colors which also answers question 2! (I have not used SCAL, but yes you can easily do it in Inkscape and I would assume you could in SCAL as well.

And your questions are NOT dumb!! As they say, the only dumb question is the one not asked!! So please never hesitate to ask anything if you cannot find the answer.....

Hope that helps a little!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Susan G. » July 3rd, 2012, 7:25 pm

Dawn--

I have checked all of your suggestions but have another problem that is preventing me from determining if I still have the skewing problem.

I set my point of origin in the bottom right corner of my 12" x 24" mat/paper. The design on the SCAL3 window is in the upper left corner. My carriage goes to the upper right corner -- almost off of the mat -- when I hit "cut." No matter what I have tried (mat orientation, mat size, velocity/force (100/140), importing the design from Inkscape again, factory reset), I can't get the carriage to start in the left hand corner.

Also, sometimes I see the red laser dot and other times I don't. Does that have anything to do with this problem?
Susan G.

Postby Thyme » July 3rd, 2012, 7:36 pm

Have you followed how to set up your mat in my quick start manual?
Set the virtual mat to portrait orientation, put on your measurements for the custom mat.
Now put your template in the bottom right of your virtual mat and that is where it will cut on your actual mat. More detailed info in the manual.
The laser is only used for print and cut, not for normal cutting.
Thyme

Postby Susan G. » July 3rd, 2012, 8:26 pm

I read about the mat set up in the manual. I have been doing all of the steps correctly -- even have a brayer.

When I put the design in the bottom right corner of the virtual mat, it did cut. However, the card shape lines were not cut??? When I went to do the next cut in the bottom left corner (I am using 12 x 24 paper to get four cards out of each piece of paper), the carriage flew right back to the upper right corner.

I imagine you are in bed due to our time difference. Hope to hear from you tomorrow. Thanks.
Susan G.

Postby Susan G. » July 3rd, 2012, 8:39 pm

Rachellann and Gigi --

I have noticed that the two of you are very generous with your time and knowledge. Thanks. I will try both of your methods after I get the current problem resolved. Right now I am pooped and have resorted to a glass of wine :)
Susan G.

Postby Gigi » July 3rd, 2012, 8:55 pm

Always try what Rachellann says first - she is the pro!!! But I am always happy to share what not to do because I have probably done it!! :)

Thanks Susan\ for your kind words. Seriously, we all had questions starting out and that is how we learned. So you will find lots of people chiming in to help if they have the answer - Rachellann just is usually on top of it all - she is the best!!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby rachellann » July 3rd, 2012, 9:35 pm

Thanks Susan I will try and help where I can.
Gigi no pro i will try and help and make suggestions where i see i might be of some help.
rachellann

Postby Gigi » July 3rd, 2012, 9:54 pm

Ummm- not changing my previous comment Rachellann! I have seen your work and your support :)

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Thyme » July 4th, 2012, 6:19 am

Ok, let's see if we can sort you out. I don't think it is a fault of the cutter or it wouldn't cut the one placed in the bottom right corner.
Please take a screen shot of your Scal window so I can see placement of stuff. Then another of the mat setup where you have the size, orientation etc.
Then give me that actual dimensions of your physical mat and a shot of how you are placing the mat in the machine and where you set the origin.
And then tell me the size of the cutter as well please
Thyme

Postby Susan G. » July 4th, 2012, 1:28 pm

Dawn --

Last night I updated my version of SCAL to 3.025. This morning I decided to make one last attempt of cutting before doing what you suggested in your last note to me. Guess what -- I got a wonderfully cut card! I am not sure if there was a problem with my 3.020 or if I just did something right! I do think it wasn't cutting the card shape lines because I had the design too far over to the right.

Today I am going to tweak my design, play with layers, and attempt multiple cuts of the card design. If I run into trouble I will be back on the forum or sending you the info you requested. Thanks so much.
Susan G.

Postby Retta » July 4th, 2012, 1:29 pm

Sounds like it is working!!! Great!
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby Thyme » July 4th, 2012, 1:37 pm

Wonderful!
I am very happy you are cutting well now, have fun!
Thyme

Postby Gigi » July 4th, 2012, 2:27 pm

Great to hear Susan - so glad it's working as it should now!!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby rachellann » July 4th, 2012, 3:25 pm

Susan it is nice to hear you solved your issue. enjoy
rachellann