Using scanned files

Using scanned files

Postby linesdesigns » April 19th, 2012, 9:30 am

Hi all:)
I know someone will have the answer to this for me. I have a pattern that I used to cut by hand and now want the cat to cut it. I can't draw it in Inkscape or SCAL since it is a pattern I have perfected over time,so I traced it onto paper and scanned as a .jpeg (that or a .tiff can't remember right now). I didn't have any problems with tracing it in SCAL and was even able to reduce the nodes somewhat, but I get a double line. So I tried it on the cat with the pen to see how it would translate from file to cutter. It drew it 4-5x before stopping and not in one continuous line, it drew a bit down at the bottom then moved to the top and drew some then moved to another part of the image and drew it, etc but it did draw all of it but 4-5x before it was done. Help?

Connie
linesdesigns

Re: Using scanned files

Postby Thyme » April 19th, 2012, 11:09 am

When you scan an outline drawing and then trace it, you will be tracing the outside and inside of the line. So you need to either break it apart and remove the excess line, or take the scanned image into an image editing program and fill the inside so that it is a coloured shape rather than an outline.
Alternatively I think there is a blackout option in Scal?
Thyme

Postby kim » April 19th, 2012, 2:22 pm

Yep. that's what I do. I scan the image and save as .jpg. Then bring it into my software (in my case it's MTC) and do a trace. Then I break it and then delete either the inside or the outside lines (keeping constistent). Might have to try the fill thing....see how that works.

I still have not been able to perfect my drawing (I am a terrible artist) on the Wacom tablet and so usually will do a pencil drawing and then scan it. I know it's a long way to do something, but when in a rush, it is the fastest way for me at the moment.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby rachellann » April 19th, 2012, 9:11 pm

I sent your file back to you.
what happens when you scan items in is it picks up all the lines, making sure to use dark or even a black marker making sure the lines are connected it will help. then after scanning then sometime youll still need to do a break apart and delete the peices you don't want also check to see the fill or stroke is visible it some time helps for visual purposes.
Helping where I can when I can.
Using a 24" Silver Bullet Pro and also have a 18" Cougar
rachellann

Cutter: 18 Cougar, 24"Silver Bullet

Return to Sure Cuts A Lot