Question on software for Cougar

Question on software for Cougar

Postby sandyh124 » October 26th, 2011, 2:21 pm

I have had SCAL for well over a year now and have gotten quite familiar with using it with my Cricut. Limited though that machine is. Today my Cougar was delivered and I am wondering (haven't used my kitty with anything yet - it's still in the box!) is there a specific reason to switch software? I thought from initial inspection that MTC was really just a different control layout and that both programs were effictively the same. Since I am familiar with SCAL I saw no reason to have two programs that did the same thing.

I am curious about Print and Cut, I did read about the topic here on the board but I am completely in the dark here. Hinge method? I've cut vinyl and all kinds of paper, but never tried to print a picture and then cut it out. Would someone please enlighten me? I don't want to miss any new techniques, nor be limited by what I can do with my new kitty! LOL
Sandy

Let yourself day dream, agree with your imagination, laugh at the rules and color outside the lines....
sandyh124

Re: Question on software for Cougar

Postby Suzan » October 26th, 2011, 3:18 pm

Scal and MTC have different features. MTC has print and cut and Conical warp for tumblers, and cupcake wrappers and such. I like it a whole lot better than SCAL. It has really expanded in what it can do. Print and Cut is a process with the laser. This is very basic details. You take an image, and print it with registration marks in the four corners. You have to make an outline of the image you want cut. And then you align the laser with the registration marks and it cuts around what you have printed. Like I said there is way more detail to the process. This is just the highlights.

The hinged method of cutting is the same idea a different way to print and cut, but the process is way different. People with Cricuts can use the hinged method to cut. Since they can't do a real print and cut.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Elizabeth » October 26th, 2011, 3:20 pm

Hi Sandy! Congrats on your new cat.

Print and cut which I do often with MTC software, allows me to trace an image into the software, print it with a standard inkjet or laser printer, and then using registration marks that print on the page, cut around the image with the Cougar. I use the technique often when making cards, as it enhances my almost non existant artistic ability. Here is a card that I did recently, using an image that I purchased online.

fall cat card.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby sandyh124 » October 26th, 2011, 3:55 pm

Thank you Suzan and Elizabeth for replying so quickly! Guess I will have to do some more research then. I haven't tried MTC since the demo I downloaded in Feb 2010 when I first got my Cricut. The whole diecut thing was new to me, but I've been doing cards for years with a PrintMaster program. I have since expanded a great deal - mostly because I have the time at home now to play. I'll do a bit more inspection on the MTC program. Thanks again!
Sandy

Let yourself day dream, agree with your imagination, laugh at the rules and color outside the lines....
sandyh124

Postby Gigi » October 26th, 2011, 4:11 pm

Since you are investigating, you can also check out Inkscape for designing (which is a free program). It can be intimidating unless you take it in small pieces! A lot of us use it and love it - but I am definitely still a beginner with that one.

I don't think there is a right or wrong - use what feels most comfortable to you - that is the main thing.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Thyme » October 26th, 2011, 4:20 pm

Gigi is right, each has its advantages so it is which you are more comfortable with
Thyme

Postby Phyllis » October 26th, 2011, 5:11 pm

All the ladies have given some good info. I do want to add that come December, Cougar is going to have its very own software, thanks to Dawn and her team. I am so anxious. Currently, I have gone back to using MTC, I was using SCAL because it was a Mac version but loaded MTC on my Windows laptop and have been using it most of the time. I really like it better than SCAL.
Phyllis

Postby sandyh124 » October 26th, 2011, 5:14 pm

I do have Inkscape, and use it a bit, but I am by no means comfortable with it. I learn in bits and pieces with it. Guess I will hit the tutorials harder and spend more time learning. Hmmm - will look forward to the new program in December, by then I should be on a first name basis with my kitty! Thank you for the input ladies, you are all awesome!
Sandy

sandyh124

Return to Sure Cuts A Lot