SCAL 3 - problems :(

SCAL 3 - problems :(

Postby cduchx » April 13th, 2014, 7:01 pm

I have been using SCAL 3 for awhile now - but lately I've been having problems :(
Here's the deal :)
I work on a project in SCAL 3 - I make changes here and there - cut...etc...save when I want to save...but then often close without saving again. I do this because I don't want my edits saved... I usually have 1 project saved - then edit it to different sizes to fit my wooden boards...
Well - when I go back to open the project it is GONE! There is nothing on my mat...Dang it too - I had everything just perfect too and it's gone :(

Any ideas?
OH - and do you automatically update SCAL when it says there's an update? Sometimes I hate to fix things that aren't broke :)

Any ideas are very much appreciated :)
Cathy
cduchx

Cutter: Lynx

Re: SCAL 3 - problems :(

Postby PennyDuncan » April 13th, 2014, 8:30 pm

Hey Cathy.......you definately want to update your SCAL3......WHEN Brandon puts out an update it's really for good cause....it would be because he's found or been made aware of an error that needs to be addressed......so I say check often on Craftedge to see if he has any updates out....alot of times he may do an update and not yet released to the general public so it may not reflect the latest version # on the Crafgedge Download page...but if you click on the download button you'll see the latest version #...So I would start off with going and updated your software....then see if you still have the issue arrising....
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Gigi » April 13th, 2014, 9:54 pm

Maybe I am not understanding, but why (after you update) dont you just save it to your desktop as "ongoing project" or whatever you want to call it and then you will have it and can delete it when you are done???
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby LisaH » April 14th, 2014, 2:27 am

Are you saving it into the Projects tab? I always save to a file on my MAC, even if I have it saved into the Projects tab...never hurts to have a backup.

My thoughts are, if there happens to be an issue with any software I am using, by it being saved to a separate file on my HD, I don't stand the chance of losing it if a software decided crash, etc.
LisaH

Postby cduchx » April 14th, 2014, 9:22 am

I'll download the update :) Thanks!

Here's how I do a project - I'm sure I'm not utilizing all SCAL 3 has to offer :(

I design my entire project - go up to file and click "Save project as" - then save it to my flash drive with it's name - Like "Family Birthday Board"

Then later on when I want to make one - I open that file (from my flash drive) and edit it to fit the size I need.... I don't utilize the layers part...Like if I want to just cut the months - I delete everything but that, and cut the months only, so on and so forth... then close w/o saving...

Make any sense ? :)
cduchx

Postby LisaH » April 14th, 2014, 11:43 am

If you are opening the file from the flash drive and making changes while in SCAL, if you don't save those changes and close the program, it will not open the last project automatically when you go back into SCAL. The only thing you can to do not lose the changes made are to save it as #2, etc. or minimize the program.
LisaH

Postby cduchx » April 14th, 2014, 12:32 pm

Thanks for your help everyone - I'm going to have to relearn :)
cduchx

Postby kaffee » May 26th, 2014, 2:54 pm

Hi there,
I believe you'll save yourself a lot of time and anxiety by simply creating a folder in your computer and saving your files there rather than using your flash drive as your primary file storage.

I haven't worked on SCAL—have just downloaded the evaluation versions—but if it creates an auto backup similar to MSWord, then you have the advantage of getting that file stored in your computer, back up (or SCAL may have a way of giving you that option).

If you're on Windows, flash drives, memory sticks and other removable media are susceptible to malicious software, aka malware, whose origin you'll never guess (the Internet is one such source and these malwares work in the background without you noticing). These can lock you out of your flash drive, render your files unreadable and potentially damage the drive itself if you don't catch it.

I suggest to treat your removable media as backup by copying your files to it or when you need portability or transport (say, having your artwork printed elsewhere).

Then again, as LisaH pointed out from your post, it may have been oversight—always save your files, or "Save [it] As" another version to keep the first version intact. (emphasis on quote below mine)
RE:
cduchx wrote:...Here's how I do a project - I'm sure I'm not utilizing all SCAL 3 has to offer :(

I design my entire project - go up to file and click "Save project as" - then save it to my flash drive with it's name - Like "Family Birthday Board"

Then later on when I want to make one - I open that file (from my flash drive) and edit it to fit the size I need.... I don't utilize the layers part...Like if I want to just cut the months - I delete everything but that, and cut the months only, so on and so forth... then close w/o saving...

Otherwise, if you've been used to working with Microsoft Office applications and know that it auto saves your files for you, then you must have subconsciously assumed it does the same. ĂĽ
kaffee

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24"

Return to Sure Cuts A Lot