Question about Inkscape and printing

Re: Question about Inkscape and printing

Postby Gigi » July 31st, 2011, 2:16 pm

Thyme wrote:Nope, you have to BE VERY VERY BAD for me to do that

Hmmmm - is that a challenge or a threat??!!?? :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :twisted: :twisted: :ROFLMBO:
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Phyllis » July 31st, 2011, 3:01 pm

Gigi, I'm just going to sit back and let Dawn help you since everything she is helping you with is helping me also, LOL, so if you get kicked off, I'll join you. I've been a pest also. I'll bet she's glad she's 5-6 hours in time difference so she doesn't have to deal with us in real time, hoping by the time she gets on, we'll have it figured out, NOT. LOL. Thanks so much Dawn, you're our hero.
Phyllis

Postby Thyme » July 31st, 2011, 3:16 pm

lol, you are both very welcome, and wait till the lightbulb goes on and it all comes right! I love that moment!
Thyme

Postby Phyllis » July 31st, 2011, 3:36 pm

Oh, I tried that View-Display Mode-Outline and oh my gosh what a blessing that is. :idea: (lightbulb). Still have a lot more to go before they light up the room. LOL. I also checked in Signcut the ON/OFF thingy and it was set properly. I tried another cut and it cut at the size it should have. Getting happy feet.

I got a question on the version of Inkscape that we are advised to use (.047 vs. .048). I have forgotten why we can't use the lastest version?
Phyllis

Postby Thyme » July 31st, 2011, 4:50 pm

Because the latest version does not always import correctly - its a bit picky in that it works for some people and not for others. So it is much easier for me if you use the 0.47 version as then I know that problems with files aren't down to that
Thyme

Postby Phyllis » July 31st, 2011, 5:19 pm

Thanks Dawn, I sure don't want a picky program, having enough trouble as it is. I was just curious, thought maybe the issues were fixed and I didn't know. No problem, I'm using the .047.
Phyllis

Postby Gigi » July 31st, 2011, 5:54 pm

OK PHYLLIS - THIS IS FOR YOU!!

So help me - if I can do this, so can you. I did it!! LOL And I really understand it (at least I do today!!)

It took Penny's video and Dawn's instructions for me to get it, but I did. I know - when you see the image, I should have cut out the inner area around the wings, but I didnt want to push my luck. And I went larger on purpose because I like a little white so show - usually. It's off a tiny bit, but for the first "successful" time I am thrilled!!

I love cutting out stamped images so am really excited about that! And Dawn said when I got used to it I would be able to so it in about 30 seconds - and I can see that happening. It didn't take me long at all.

One mistake I was making is that I wasn't taking the time to use the ALT keys to get the really fine correction and that made a huge difference (just remember that when you use Alt and the left and right arrows, it will move the opposite direction that you want - so you have to think backwards on that part. Up and down are ok.

And....... I think why I was getting the BIG cuts is that I was not transferring the registration marks to my outline layer. So now I have that in my notes.

I typed up directions for doing a print and cut based on Penny's video and Dawn's refinement. The part on the bezier tool is not totally correct, but if anyone wants the notes holler - I did it very step by step. And I will update it as I learn new tricks. (and you all give me feedback on things to add).

I am just so thrilled - now I can print the wedding invitations and start die cutting the circles! LOL Can hardly wait to do another print and cut and I NEVER thought I would say that!! :ROFLMBO: Poor Dawn - I wore her out so much she had to go to bed!~! :hide: (well that and the fact that it's midnight over there!!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Retta » July 31st, 2011, 6:05 pm

Oh Gigi - way to go! You will have to teach me!
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby Gigi » July 31st, 2011, 6:23 pm

Now that would definitely be a switch!! I have learned SO much from you......

I am SO excited - I never thought I would get it but I made a TON of mistakes. It really is easy, once you get it!! :banghead: :banghead: :ROFLMBO:

Gigi
Gigi

Postby PennyDuncan » July 31st, 2011, 6:33 pm

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH GIGI!!!!!!! You GO girl!!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Thyme » July 31st, 2011, 6:40 pm

Lol, told you it was easy once it "clicked"
Thyme

Postby Phyllis » July 31st, 2011, 6:50 pm

YAY YAY YAY Gigi. Looks great. Lightbulbs are going off big time, huh? It's a happy feeling to finally accomplish something after beating your head against the wall. LOL. I have managed to cut one really good one that I did yesterday and posted it on the other thread. I played around some today and was able to get a cut that was not 10 times the size. I'm going to work on it some more later.
Phyllis

Postby Gigi » July 31st, 2011, 6:58 pm

Thyme wrote:Lol, told you it was easy once it "clicked"

I know you did - but it was the "clicking" that was just NOT happening!

Think I need to do it a few more times to be sure I really get it! LOL

Thank you!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Gigi » July 31st, 2011, 7:00 pm

PennyDuncan wrote:YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH GIGI!!!!!!! You GO girl!!!!

Your video really got me going - but I still got stuck. Dawn carried me through those parts (had a machine setting off -somehow!) Gremlins I tell ya!

I still don't get the bezier tool - If it's a basic opening I sort of get it, but if it needs more than that I am lost. Will have to watch that part again......and again....... and again! LOL

It just feels so good to get close to cutting a good print and cut - hopefully it will get better over time!

Thanks ladies!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Angel135612 » July 31st, 2011, 7:49 pm

That looks AWESOME Gigi.... I'm glad you finally got it... I haven't worked on PnC lately. I want to learn it, but right now, it isn't a huge priority. I'm sure once I get my foil and I want to cut around a foiled design, I will want to learn how to do it then.
I will be hollering for your instructions then... but if I get them now, I will forget where I put them on my computer... so I will wait until I'm ready to get back to work on it.

Are you going to color that image in with your Copics? What are you going to use it for?? Can't wait to see what you do with it now that you got it to cut out.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » July 31st, 2011, 9:16 pm

Yes - I am going to color it for an "adult" birthday card! LOL I have so many kid images and they just make me smile.

I will share once I get it done -probably next weekend....

Will be happy to share when you are ready! I also want to foil some large areas using that oil slick foil to see what it looks like.

But in the meantime have 13 grants to read and score and invitations to print and assemble (invitation assembly party on Tuesday ) etc - so have to get my act together!!

Gigi
Gigi

Previous

Return to Graphics Programs (Inkscape, Illustrator, etc.)