Trying again

Trying again

Postby Bikeracer » December 10th, 2019, 8:01 am

After a pause of nearly six years I am trying to get going again.
I bought my 13" SB from Thyme Graphics but they no longer seem to be in existance so I have no phone call available to help me with the basics of Scal and Inkscape.

I had a licence for Signcut which has since expired so I need to relearn Scal, my version is 3.7

I have installed the Scal extension in Inkscape but it does not show in the extension menu.

Can anyone throw any light as to what Ineed to do.

Allan
Bikeracer

Cutter: !3" Silver Bullet

Re: Trying again

Postby Gigi » December 10th, 2019, 10:37 am

I am not aware of anyone cutting straight from Inkscape. Hopefully if someone is, they will respond. We have many users cutting straight from Illustrator or Corel Draw. Have you reached out to Brandon at CraftEdge? We also have many people designing directly in SCAL (more recent versions) as it has many more capabilities. I am not saying you should upgrade - just commenting.

Are you running it on a PC or Mac? I assume you have double checked to be sure you are running the appropriate download for the version of SCAL that you have? Just going over basic things that could create problems. Which version of Inkscape are you running?
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Bikeracer » December 10th, 2019, 11:06 am

I downloaded the latest version of Inkscape I think, not sure about the Inkscape version for my Scal 3.7
Might have to upgrade to Scal5.
I used to use Inkscape with the Signcut extension but because personal things got in the way I never had the full use of the two year licence and it expired.
It seems that because of lack of use I'm no longer sure of how to use various software to get things to the cutter. Just hoping it eventually comes back to me.

I mainly cut parts for building cardboard models so all I need is to be able to print and cut imported building and dwellings images to make a kit of parts to construct them.

I run an iMac with Windows 7 in ' boot camp '

Allan
Bikeracer

Postby Gigi » December 10th, 2019, 12:31 pm

So to clarify - I understand that you are doing print and cut but are you designing the images in Inkscape? You say you are using imported images so I am not sure if you are designing or using outside images.

If you are NOT designing, you can do all that you need straight in SCAL - so please share more so I can give you correct answers. I am making assumptions and those are usually not accurate! :)

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Bikeracer » December 11th, 2019, 9:35 am

I'll try to clarify...
I build 1/148 scale card models of buildings for a model railway.
The images are downloaded from a site that produces the images to print and cut out.
I used to use Inkscape to put the cut lines round the various parts and export to Signcut, however now the Signcut licence has expired I need to use a different software such as Scal5.

After some playing about this morning I think I can put the cut lines in with Scal.
So I imported an A4 image but at the moment I am stuck with getting the registration marks to appear round the image and not round the A4 outline that is imported with the image on it.

I'm going to see if I can somehow select just the image then cut and paste it in place on the cutting mat keeping everything to scale.

Hope this clarifies what I hope to do. I've was able to do it before, so I ought to be able to do it again.

Allan
Bikeracer

Postby Gigi » December 11th, 2019, 10:17 am

Got it. I just read your other post and will answer in a minute. I have more questions (of course!)

Hang in there - we will get you through this.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Bikeracer » December 20th, 2019, 11:32 am

I am using Inkscape with the Scal extension.
I used it years ago to export to Signcut quite succesfully but can't remember the steps to take to get a complete image into Scal.
When I have an image in inkscape and use the export to Scal extension all I can get is the outline of a box in Scal 5 with no image in it.
Does anyone know what steps I am missing, or where I might get an answer ?
There doesn't seem to be an Inkscape forum to ask anything like this.

Allan
Bikeracer

Postby Gigi » December 20th, 2019, 12:16 pm

Gosh Allan . I have not used Inkscape in ages just because I have been able to do what I want/need in SCAL.

So just to go over things, you downloaded the extension from Craftedge to send directly to SCAL. Do you get any options in SCAL when you click on the send to SCAL (or whatever the message is?) I am thinking you need to select the image so it will export too - but I honestly cannot remember and no longer have Inkscape on my computer. (just upgraded to a new computer so still getting things to work the way I want them!!)

As I recall you were importing images and tracing them to cut? Is there a reason you aren't bringing them (the images) straight into SCAL to trace and cut them? It does a great job and cuts out having to use an additional software. I am sure you have a good reason - just asking so I can better understand.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Bikeracer » December 20th, 2019, 12:34 pm

Gigi....
It goes back to me using Inkscape before and I got to like it.

I just make a simple coloured square in Inkscape to see how things go for now.
Then I use the extension to export to Scal which it does, it's just that there is no coloured image, just a square outline with nothing in it in Scal
I just feel that I'm missing a step somewhere in Inkscape that I used to do.

Anyway, I just arranged to buy a barely used 18" silver Bullet for less than the cost of a new cameo 4 and now my existing one seems to be behaving it means I should always have a working cutter.

Allan
Bikeracer

Postby Gigi » December 20th, 2019, 3:11 pm

Hi Allan -

Good idea to get a gently used new machine if you will be using yours a lot. Many people do that just to have a backup.

Question - when your image imports into SCAL - click on the view. Be sure you DON'T have "view in Outline Mode" checked. That would explain the view you are getting. If you do, uncheck it and your image color should return. I am hoping it's that easy. Let me know.

Again you can super easily trace in SCAL and eliminate that step. Give it a try while you are getting comfortable with things again. Here to help however we can.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Bikeracer » December 20th, 2019, 4:55 pm

Gigi....

Thanks about the view mode, just tried it and that looks like it could be the answer.
I'll try tomorrow, I'm just fiddling about on my Macbook at the moment and will try it on the iMac where Inkscape is tomorrow.

Allan
Bikeracer

Postby MeFlick » December 20th, 2019, 5:08 pm

Been a long time since I did much with Inkscape as well. As best I recall (of the top of my head) you need to make sure the object(s) is a vector image. Not all images created in Inkscape are automatically a vector image. Sometimes you had to convert it but I don’t recall the actual steps to do that. If it is not a vector image, it will not come into SCAL or other programs correctly. The other way to take things from Inkscape is to save it as an SVG file, then import that SVG file into SCAL.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Gigi » December 20th, 2019, 6:03 pm

Allan -

I am glad the outline mode in SCAL is what was causing you to not get the full image view. Hoping that is the fix. And as Melanie said you can always export an svg from Inkscape and then import into SCAL. Still thinking you can do all that you want in SCAL, but you have to find your own comfort level with it.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Bikeracer » December 21st, 2019, 1:32 am

If there was a "Thanks" button I'd be wearing it out by now. :D

The Inkscape extension sends the image straight to the mat in Scal if Scal is open at the same time, beats saving and then importing it.

I will get back into it and nowadays there are plenty of Youtube videos to watch which weren't available when I started seven years ago.

Allan
Bikeracer

Postby Gigi » December 21st, 2019, 2:35 am

Not a problem. We try to help when we can and I am glad you are making progress.

I understand about saving the extra step of saving as an svg and reopening, but if you are simply tracing images to get an outline to cut, you can easily do that in SCAL and save yourself going back and forth between two programs. There are videos on the forum and on YouTube (as you mentioned) walking you through that if you need the assistance. We are here too if you have questions or get stuck.

Good luck - keep us posted on how you are doing.

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Graphics Programs (Inkscape, Illustrator, etc.)