Tyler - signcut & Corel Draw X5

Tyler - signcut & Corel Draw X5

Postby pigtailpat » June 22nd, 2011, 4:39 pm

Tyler -

I cannot seem to get the app launcher in corel draw X5 to cooperate with signcut. Signcut is in fact listed in the app launcher, but when it is clicked, I am getting a runtime 611 error, and this has to do with signcut-X5 compatibility.

Dawn mentioned on the UK forum about the workaround you did for CS5 illustrator and signcut, and I did find your writeup on that and read it. But I am not sure how much of this seems to apply. From some more investigation, it seems like corel sort of like shut down the app launcher, and officially, it only supports other corel products rather than other software. Some say to get it to work properly involves a registry edit like to the proper .exe - but that doesn't seem to be it - since my signcut icon is showing up under the app launcher.

I was wondering if you knew more on this issue. If you do, let me know. If not, what I will do is simply save as .svg and open in signcut straight. The X5 tracing looks really cool, and is worth the extra effort.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Re: Tyler - signcut & Corel Draw X5

Postby Tyler » June 22nd, 2011, 6:35 pm

Sorry Pat - I have never even seen Corel Draw X5. Actually, that is a lie. I had the first version of the software my dad brought home when I was like 8, not that it helps much.

Export to SVG is probably the way to go for now!
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby pigtailpat » June 22nd, 2011, 6:42 pm

Oh I thought you used Corel Draw. My mistake then. Thanks!

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Gigi » June 22nd, 2011, 8:43 pm

Pat -

I have a good friend who used Corel Draw for all of her designing - will email her and ask her if she has an answer. I have the X4 version and I only have to do "send to signcut".

She does all of the great Disney SVG's and others (Ducky from Ducky's Designs) and swears by Corel Draw - will see if she has an answer. Hang tight!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby pigtailpat » June 22nd, 2011, 9:42 pm

Gigi -

My first foray into corel draw seems to be so great for me and a WONDERFUL fit. I like it alot! Thanks for checking it out for me. I did my first design in corel draw today, a trace of a weeping willow tree. It came out fantastic! I sent it to signcut via .svg. I understand theoretically how to use signcut now, but, I don't understand, I received a better cut inside .mtc. I do not think I have a good enough understanding yet of signcut, and cannot compare yet. Another thing I love, love, love about corel draw is that you can see a little preview of the file in windows explorer and on the desktop!! Unlike .ai - I just get the .ai icon. I think that is really cool beans.

Pat
pigtailpat

Postby Gigi » June 22nd, 2011, 10:42 pm

I have converted a lot of my files from svg to corel draw. I find it much easier to trace as well, and to contour and do simple things (that is all I do is simple!!) The version I am using works seemlessly with Signcut - I really love it. And yes, I love the preview that I get whenever I save it in that format.

Ducky (aka Ellen) has designed in Illustrator too and she much prefers Corel Draw. I haven't heard back from her yet, but know I will as soon as she has time. She is amazing. I am sure she will be joining the forum as soon as she has some down time -

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Angel135612 » June 23rd, 2011, 12:33 am

I have access to Corel Draw and would love to learn how to use it. Are there any tuts on how to use Corel Draw around?? The trace feature sound intriguing and would like to compare that with Inkscape and AI.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby pigtailpat » June 23rd, 2011, 8:38 am

Insofar as tuts, I am still learning that - when I get more information I will post.

Meanwhile, I found a very cool beans workaround for corel X5 users with signcut. Save the corel document as ver. 14 (x4 compatibility). Then you can import that file in inkscape and send to signcut via that link. The advantage of this is that you can see the little drawing in the icon on your desktop or in windows' explorer for the file, you don't need to do double file creation (ie create .svg's). When you are done throwing the file to signcut via inkscape, you can simply exit inkscape without saving the file, because you have it in the original corel draw document.

Pat
pigtailpat

Postby Gigi » June 23rd, 2011, 9:20 am

pigtailpat wrote:Insofar as tuts, I am still learning that - when I get more information I will post.

Meanwhile, I found a very cool beans workaround for corel X5 users with signcut. Save the corel document as ver. 14 (x4 compatibility). Then you can import that file in inkscape and send to signcut via that link. The advantage of this is that you can see the little drawing in the icon on your desktop or in windows' explorer for the file, you don't need to do double file creation (ie create .svg's). When you are done throwing the file to signcut via inkscape, you can simply exit inkscape without saving the file, because you have it in the original corel draw document.

Pat

Pat - I did hear from Ducky. She isn't using version 5 because it's too buggy and also doesn't use the app launcher. We both use File> Send to> Signcut. Do you not have that option in your version? That makes it really simple.

Sounds like you found a good workaround, but hoping that will work for you.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby pigtailpat » June 23rd, 2011, 9:37 am

Gigi -

no - in X5 the send to signcut shows up in the app launcher, not the file send to. X5 seems to have broken everything that corel did with corel draw previously. I thought that because X5 was a 2010 release, and here we are in the middle of 2011, everything would be OK by now. welllllllll..........

the workaround is not bad, and I don't mind. I still get the benefit of corel without making duplicate files this way. Signcut does have a ver. that is said to be compatible with X5 - but Dawn has not checked out that version and I am not experienced enough or brave enough to change my signcut version right now. If I get more experienced and comfortable with signcut, I might do it as an experiment later, but for now my workaround is going to be fine for me.

Pat
pigtailpat

Postby Tyler » June 23rd, 2011, 1:56 pm

If I could get a hold of a copy, I would be happy to take a look. I am sorry I am not of more help! It is possible that there is a problem with the latest release of corel. Inkscape has the same problem, and that is why most use .47 rather than .48.

It does sound though like your SVG option is working well for you though! You can also open a SVG file directly from signcut, bypassing inkscape - that would save you a step.

Thanks, Gigi for helping with this!
Tyler

Postby Suzan » June 23rd, 2011, 2:16 pm

You might try saving in an older version. In Illustrator when I save I save as a CS4, because lots of people don't have CS5 yet.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » June 23rd, 2011, 8:12 pm

Tyler wrote:If I could get a hold of a copy, I would be happy to take a look. I am sorry I am not of more help! It is possible that there is a problem with the latest release of corel. Inkscape has the same problem, and that is why most use .47 rather than .48.

It does sound though like your SVG option is working well for you though! You can also open a SVG file directly from signcut, bypassing inkscape - that would save you a step.

Thanks, Gigi for helping with this!

You are welcome, Tyler - just wish I could have done more!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Rachel Warner » November 18th, 2011, 11:34 am

Just curious - has anyone successfully managed to get the app launcher in CorelDRAW X5 to work with Signcut yet? I am a great fan of CorelDRAW and use this software for most of my design projects. I have kept version X3 on my laptop for cutting with Signcut. Version X5 certainly can be temperamental. I tried the latest Signcut export plugin with no success.

Rachel
Rachel Warner

Postby Tyler » November 18th, 2011, 12:01 pm

I haven't heard of anything, but will try and look into it if I get a chance (and remember lol).

Is X3 better than X5? What is the best version?
Tyler

Postby Rachel Warner » November 18th, 2011, 12:45 pm

Thanks Tyler. Industry standard colour management is now supported. I like the improved colour palette which helps you easily keep track of the precise colours you've used in your project. There have been enhancements to the tools too. Installing SP1 (Service Pack 1) corrected many of the bugs on the original DVD and overall, I think, X5 is worth the upgrade from version X3.

Rachel
Rachel Warner

Postby Tyler » November 18th, 2011, 2:01 pm

I am having the same issues with X5 (a 611 error) . From what I have read, SignCut seems to have problems with X5, but the plugin should work well for X3 and X4. You should not have to move any files to get it to work with corel draw, other than install the export plugins.

If I find out anything else, I will post. There are others that are more versed than me with Corel Draw that may chime in as well.
Tyler

Postby Gigi » November 18th, 2011, 2:48 pm

I use version 4 with no problems and Ducky (www.duckysdesigns.com) uses Corel Draw exclusively - but pretty sure she uses version 4 too. I vaguely remember having a conversation with her when 5 came out and I think she knew it didn't work with SignCut - this is just my recollection and I could be so wrong. I have NO problem cutting from x4.

Ducky is on vacation for the next week but sure she will have some input on this as she is the Corel Draw guru!! (at least in my part of the world!!) And as I recall I didn't have to do anything extra to have it cut from Signcut - it automatically comes up as an option to "send to" .

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Rachel Warner » November 18th, 2011, 4:52 pm

Thanks for this. I will stick with the export plugin and X3 as everything works fine - no problems cutting.

Rachel
Rachel Warner

Postby MendyRap » November 20th, 2011, 5:22 pm

My Corel Draw X5 has the send to signcut! My X5 is up to date, has there been an update recently that fixed that? I don't have signcut to check. Just letting y'all know.
MendyRap

Next

Return to Graphics Programs (Inkscape, Illustrator, etc.)