Suzan Do you use Illustrator?

Suzan Do you use Illustrator?

Postby MendyRap » November 19th, 2014, 1:23 pm

Hi Suzan! Sorry to bug you but I vaguely remember your husband purchasing (I think) Adobe products a while back. My question is, do you design in Illustrator or InDesign? Do you still use it or find it too diffucult to design in? Guess I had more than one question! Lol! I have tried Corel Draw and it is great but, I wonder if I would like illustrator better. Thank you, for any insights or advice you might have.
MendyRap

Re: Suzan Do you use Illustrator?

Postby Suzan » November 19th, 2014, 4:32 pm

Yes I do most of my work in Illustrator, I also use Corel but strictly because my rhinestone macro only works in Corel. But everything else is AI. I found it very easy to pick up on Illustrator because I had my husband and had learned photoshop. So the Adobe technology was a little familiar.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby MendyRap » November 19th, 2014, 8:28 pm

I'm pretty comfortable with Photoshop CS3 so I'm hoping it will click with me! Lol! Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it!
MendyRap

Postby Suzan » November 19th, 2014, 11:45 pm

Well if you have any svg knowledge you will be ahead of the game. Like welding I think is union (I know it by the picture now lol), Control z will be your best friend, be brave . For instance, if you want to type a word. Pick the tool, type it, enlarge it so you can see it. Then go to object expand, and click ok, now your typed words are an svg. Some things are different between the versions, I use CS6. But you will get the hang of it. When I started I didn't even have a clue to what an svg was at all. Also watch tutorials, and ask questions, I will answer them if I can. And glad to see another AI user on board, there aren't many of us. Corel and Inskcape seem to rule. LOL. Along with SCAL and MTC.
Suzan

Suzan

Postby MendyRap » November 20th, 2014, 11:15 am

In will probably pick your brain clean! I'm thankful you don't mind! I am just sooooooo used to photoshop that I can't even use elements, to automated I can't find what I NEED in that moment! Haha!
Is CS6 the last version that doesn't require a subscription? I DO NOT want to pay monthly for it. I know I couldn't justify that at all! It really dissapoints me that they have moved that way.
Thanks for the tips, as soon as I get it (my birthday Dec.7 or Christmas) I will try your hint.
MendyRap

Postby Suzan » November 20th, 2014, 11:25 am

Yes six is the last purchasable version. But if you can't get it, and have any type of education affiliation I think it is only about 20.00 a month to have the cloud version.
Suzan

Suzan

Postby MendyRap » November 20th, 2014, 11:08 pm

We do have an education connection, it just urkes me to pay for something in a month that I'm not using that month! I know crazy huh!?
MendyRap

Postby Suzan » November 20th, 2014, 11:45 pm

My husband and I were just talking about that. Yes it is, but if you look at it that if you were to upgrade this is a lot cheaper, I think even with our discount we ended up paying over 400 for the CS6. He pays 324 a year for the cc version. Which he says has a lot of really cool stuff. LOL I will stay with my six.
Suzan

Suzan

Postby MendyRap » November 21st, 2014, 11:33 am

I just feel so selfish doing that when I only do this as a hobby, not as a job like you. I know, I know, I shouldn't feel that way but you can blame my "guilt" gene on my mom! Haha! She taught me well in the art of guilt! Lol!
MendyRap

Postby kmmhug » November 21st, 2014, 11:55 am

Suzan, I just bought the Samantha font and I am try to figure out how to get it from AI to MTC. I have an old version of AI that they briefly had online for free and I figured how to see Samantha and get things I typed on it on the mat in AI. When I go to save it though there is nothing there. What am I doing wrong?
Kathy
kmmhug

Cutter: Cougar 18" Cameo

Postby Suzan » November 21st, 2014, 12:31 pm

Well the only reason I am lucky to have it is because hubby uses it at work and we got the education discount. Up till then I always got the cast off versions as he updated. So I know the guilt gene very well.

@kmmhug did you install it as a normal font. I don't know how to bring it into MTC since I haven't used it for eons. But you should be able to see it everywhere. Now one thing, make sure you have a color selected for stroke or fill and it isn't white. I always use stroke and then the fill has the white box with the white line thru it. And of course I am not at home so I can't even tell you where it is at except it is along the top in the left with tools, and the side tool bar on the left will also have the stroke and fill box.
Suzan

Suzan

Postby kmmhug » November 21st, 2014, 1:24 pm

I think i have them filled right, I think I am doing something wrong in saving. When I choose save as SVG a second screen pops up with these defaults. Do I need to change something? There are lots of other options listed but I don't have a clue what to change.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kathy
kmmhug

Cutter: Cougar 18" Cameo

Postby Suzan » November 21st, 2014, 1:49 pm

I always preserve Illustrator editing. That way it saves so I can go in and edit.
Suzan

Suzan

Return to Graphics Programs (Inkscape, Illustrator, etc.)