Inkscape - win 7 pro - hand tracing

Inkscape - win 7 pro - hand tracing

Postby pigtailpat » June 13th, 2014, 7:04 am

Ok so I finally re-installed inkscape following my new computer switch (still haven't installed cougar drivers etc. - maybe over the weekend). I am finding inkscape .48.2-1 a little problematic on my 64-bit win 7 OS. Is there another version that will work with signcut etc.? Getting somewhat frequent crashes. Not sure what is going on and it is a recent decent spec computer. Have not installed signcut yet.

My question is about hand tracing. I am trying to hand trace a design for the purposes of designing a block for a future quilt (stained glass). All block designs for quilts essentially start with a square. If you think of it, the square is the background shape, and then all sorts of other shapes like triangles fit inside the square to make a design.

I want the paths to connect on all inside shapes, so they can be filled with a fill color, to make the design pop, and then once finished, that single square can be duplicated etc. to create the design.

It's been a long time, but if I want to hand trace, am I right in thinking that the background square should be drawn first, make that its own layer, then do the upper triangles on their layer, and then merge down? I forgot how to merge the layers, because once colorized together, I want to be able to select the entire block, to copy/duplicate rotate etc.

I tried tracing the image in make the cut, but it isn't any good in this instance for what I am trying to do, and I think hand tracing is more in order. Haven't reinstalled SCAL yet. I'm going as slow as a toad, inasmuch as I am still working on the cathedral window quilt.

It's been so long that I have done this, last night I actually had to pull out graph paper to get my mind going! Sheesh!

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Re: Inkscape - win 7 pro - hand tracing

Postby kim » June 13th, 2014, 8:41 am

I can't answer your question but I have a question..... :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO:

This is just for designing? Because if you are planning on cutting, you will need to add the seam allowance. I know that this may seem obvious, but I actually designed a quilt using graph paper (way back when) and forgot to add the seam allowance when I cut. I had quite a few cut before I had that "bang m head on the wall" moment.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Angel135612 » June 13th, 2014, 9:02 am

Pat, The background square can be drawn at any time, and then just raised or lowered in sort order to where you want it. [attachment=0]Inkscape.PNG[/attachment]
Once you get all your shapes laid out like you want, you can group them together to manipulate them as one unit. Select all the shapes you want to include then go to Object>Group (CTRL+G) This way you can still make changes if necessary, to each individual shape but move them as one unit. If you decide you want one shape up or down from where you drew it, you can move it in the sort order as well. (You would need to ungroup them to move each shape, then group them again when you are done).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby pigtailpat » June 13th, 2014, 6:01 pm

Thanks, yes Kim just designing not cutting. I've really taken a big liking to the foundation piece method, and of all the methods available to produce a stained glass quilt, this way is the most appealing to me. I really like the precision of the result of foundation piecing. It's incredible. Very mentally challenging, and at first I just couldn't get it. But finally, a lady with my guild taught me in such a way, it sunk in. There are other ways, like using bias tape over stitching, which is a method that Gail Lawther loves (a UK quilter - Dawn has heard of her even). I have taken alot of time exploring ways to do this in preparation for the next big thing, while I finish the cathedral window. All I want to do is see how squares go together using a particular design, so I can decide between them. For that, I am not willing to pay the princely sum required of electric quilt, especially when it still does not provide .svg import support. So inkscape it is.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby craftchallenged » June 13th, 2014, 7:27 pm

Nice answer, angel!

Did that help you out, Pat?
craftchallenged

Cutter: 18" Cougar

Postby pigtailpat » June 14th, 2014, 4:47 pm

Yes, and it is coming back to me!!!!!!!!!! I have to be sane, on more caffeine, and not sleep deprived, and then maybe the brain can function. I got it in the works.

You guys are the best.

Pat
pigtailpat

Postby pigtailpat » December 10th, 2014, 1:32 pm

You people are the best thing going, as well as sherri for this forum, because my poor befuddled brain could not remember, and I come back here for a refresher, as I am picking up the design of this project again to hopefully start in 2015.

Sherri, darl, thanks for this forum!!!!!!!!!!

Pat
pigtailpat

Return to Graphics Programs (Inkscape, Illustrator, etc.)