Creating 3D text

Creating 3D text

Postby supersizejm » February 6th, 2014, 10:50 am

Hello I am having a lot of fun learning to use my new Silver Bullet but I have found a project I want to try and can't quite figure out how to make it work. I have seen the cards that when folded the text pops out. I have been trying to create a file to cut these but I can't figure out how to make the open spaces to connect to the paper. I have tried in Illustrator by placing a white box over the edges and excluding the area but when I export the svg file into sure cuts alot I get a white box that it wants to cut out. Does anyone have any recommendations as to how to make open ends in the text? I am pretty experienced in Illustrator but I can't seem to make this work. Any help would be appreciated. (I've looked onto the pop-up studio app but I am on a Mac so it's not available)

Thanks
Jason
supersizejm

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet Pro

Re: Creating 3D text

Postby Elizabeth » February 6th, 2014, 12:19 pm

Hi Jason, have you tried path; union, to join your rectangle? This will "weld" the shapes. I'm no expert on pop-ups, or SCAL for that matter. Just taking a shot in the dark!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby supersizejm » February 6th, 2014, 12:42 pm

I can get them to connect I just can't get the ends to remain open so they don't get cut. I've added extra tabs to the text so they can be folded. I've found examples online and they all show dotted lines on the fold points but I want to get rid of them so it doesn't get cut in SCAL.
supersizejm

Postby SBryanW » February 6th, 2014, 5:31 pm

There is new software out that will allow you to create these type of pop-ups. You can see it at:
http://www.popupcardstudio.com/
You can buy it here:
https://www.iportis.com/buynow.php?pid= ... 4&noshop=1

There is another thread on this software with examples created in this forum here:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4937&hilit=popup+card+studio
SBryanW

Postby Gigi » February 6th, 2014, 5:43 pm

Thanks Bryan, but he already mentioned that he has looked at this software but cannot use it because he is on a Mac.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby SBryanW » February 6th, 2014, 6:11 pm

Somehow I missed that last part - sorry.
SBryanW

Postby Gigi » February 6th, 2014, 6:29 pm

No apology necessary!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby supersizejm » February 6th, 2014, 6:59 pm

I figured out how to mask off the text in illustrator but when I save it as a svg and import into SCAL it tells me there are "no shapes to cut" when I try to cut it out. if I do anything to edit it in SCAL it goes back to closed text. Attached is a jpeg example of what I'm trying to do and the svg file if anyone can see something I can't.

Thanks
Jason
Jason-3dfold-4.jpg
Jason 3dfold 4.svg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
supersizejm

Postby LisaH » February 6th, 2014, 7:09 pm

supersizejm I'm not exactly sure how to make it work, because I've never tried, but I know about halfway down this page of Bird's Cards blog, there are some cards you can download and see if it helps you to figure it out.
http://www.birdscards.com/free-digital- ... es/hearts/
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby supersizejm » February 6th, 2014, 7:19 pm

Thank you I'll check them out.
supersizejm

Postby Retta » February 7th, 2014, 4:38 am

Jason I did this in the new popup program. I have illustrator but thought this may help you see. I think this is what you were trying to do?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby supersizejm » February 7th, 2014, 7:23 am

Thank you Retta but the file you attached doesn't have the fold tabs on the tops of the letters attached so they will be cut apart. Again thanks for the effort and I'll keep trying.
supersizejm

Postby Retta » February 7th, 2014, 7:25 am

They do have them. You Before the dotted lives and regular cut lines
Retta

Postby MeFlick » February 7th, 2014, 9:14 am

Retta - The file you attached has the "fold tabs" BUT they are not actually attached to the top of the letters as I have shown here in the picture I am attaching. You "missed" getting them lined up with the blue and red dotted lines I suspect! I know you said you had recently gotten the program and I think that is the hardest part to master - getting them to "align" so they are attached. Easy to do, once you figure it out but does take a little time to master and I know that I am no expert on it yet myself. Sometimes I still miss - that is why "print preview" is my friend! LOL

@supersizejm - I am not on the computer with the new program on it but I am happy to give it a try with your SVG file if you would like or Retta can probably "fix" hers for you. Just let us know if we can help with what you need. If the sample you attached is not the font or size you need, let us know what you do want to work with and we can try to get you what it is you need. I haven't worked with Inkscape in so long I wouldn't know where to begin to help you with that program!
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby supersizejm » February 7th, 2014, 10:31 am

Thanks for the offer MeFlick. It isn't really anything I need to get done it's just something I wanted to try. I think I'm going at it from the wrong direction in Illustrator, I keep thinking about printing and not cutting and have to focus on the negative space rather than the lines. I'll keep playing but thanks everyone for the help.

Jason
supersizejm

Postby Retta » February 8th, 2014, 11:11 am

Melanie, thanks! I have not learned all I need to know. I guess I thought I had done it all. Thank you! Back to learning!
Retta

Postby MeFlick » February 8th, 2014, 6:32 pm

Welcome. Happy to help anyone that needs help with it. I am not a master by any means but have figured out a lot of things - plenty more to learn though!
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby Elizabeth » February 8th, 2014, 9:49 pm

Thanks for the offer, Mel. I'm sure I'll be needing help at some point, once I get around to purchasing the software. Too much on my plate right now.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby MeFlick » February 11th, 2014, 7:08 pm

supersizejm - while perusing around for something else I ran across this "pop-up" font at dafont - may help you out - at least give you a "visual" to think about how to do it with another font.

http://www.dafont.com/pop-up-font.font
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby supersizejm » February 11th, 2014, 7:14 pm

Very cool! Thanks
supersizejm

Next

Return to Graphics Programs (Inkscape, Illustrator, etc.)