Inkscape questions.....

Inkscape questions.....

Postby pigtailpat » June 12th, 2011, 4:28 pm

I'm going to go to the UK forum and start reading all the tuts there, but in the interim, I have two questions:

(1) my understanding is alot of the problems associated with cutting is placing the image in the "root" directory which is a no-no. If I am importing a file, how can I be assured that it is **not** in the root directory, and if I am creating a file from scratch, again, how can I make sure I am **not** working in the root directory?

(2) I took a quickie look at a file with the node editor turned on in inkscape. Some of the nodes are diamonds, some are squares. What's the significance?

I do have to say, the handles for the nodes in inkscape look a little less confusing than illustrator. Ummmmmmmmm.........

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Re: Inkscape questions.....

Postby Suzan » June 12th, 2011, 4:46 pm

What I do Pat is just always when I start add a layer, and name it and then copy and paste into it, and continue to add the layers I need. I know there probably is a better way. But I don't use it that often, I use illustrator and it is completely different. And you are right about the nodes. That drives me bonkers. I also love the bezier tool in ink. I love how I can manually rough trace and then go pull my nodes where I want them.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby PennyDuncan » June 12th, 2011, 4:48 pm

Hey Pat when you start a project in Inkscape if you can get in the habit of opening your Layers Pallet each time it soon becomes 2nd nature....to do that just do Layers > Layers.....it will open to the right of your screen.....and then you can add as many layers as you care to..........
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Thyme » June 12th, 2011, 9:38 pm

pigtailpat wrote:I'm going to go to the UK forum and start reading all the tuts there, but in the interim, I have two questions:

(1) my understanding is alot of the problems associated with cutting is placing the image in the "root" directory which is a no-no. If I am importing a file, how can I be assured that it is **not** in the root directory, and if I am creating a file from scratch, again, how can I make sure I am **not** working in the root directory?

(2) I took a quickie look at a file with the node editor turned on in inkscape. Some of the nodes are diamonds, some are squares. What's the significance?

I do have to say, the handles for the nodes in inkscape look a little less confusing than illustrator. Ummmmmmmmm.........

Pat

If you import rather than open an image it should be in a layer rather than root. If you get a file that is in root then just select all, and copy/paste into a new document.

Square nodes are straight lines, diamond nodes are corners. If you move a handle on the former the opposite handle will move too. If you move a handle on a corner node the other handle will not move
Thyme

Postby pigtailpat » June 13th, 2011, 5:26 am

Dawn and everyone thanks so much. In looking at the layers in inkscape, I decided to keep deleting layers, and I saw that if I delete layers, the root directory will actually say "root" at the bottom status bar. So now I know what to look for in terms of accidental placement into the root directory.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Thyme » June 13th, 2011, 7:40 am

Good, always check down there and you will be fine
Thyme

Postby meme » June 13th, 2011, 10:11 pm

I am still learning the Inkscape stuff. I actually watched Penny Duncans video and took out a pad and paper and took notes. If I told you how many times I paused it and or did a little rewinding; you'd all laugh at me. So thanks Penny; this should help me majorly on learning. Applause to you!!!
meme

Return to Graphics Programs (Inkscape, Illustrator, etc.)