Help, How do I?

Help, How do I?

Postby kate3 » March 13th, 2012, 11:45 pm

Can someone please tell me how to make text thicker in Inkscape? I have done this so many times but my brain has gone on strike. Thank you.
kate3

Re: Help, How do I?

Postby Angel135612 » March 14th, 2012, 12:11 am

After you have converted it to a path, you can use the Path>Outset. To change the amount that it changes each time you apply it you can go to File> Inkscape Preferences, select Steps, and change the Inset/Outset to the number of pixels (or fraction there of) to what ever you want.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby kate3 » March 14th, 2012, 12:36 am

Diane, I thought I had converted it to a path. You might have to explain that part to me because I really cannot think today. After I thought I had converted it and then I tried outset several times.
I had this problem with a different issue yesterday. I walked away for an hour and knew how to do it but I am running out of time on this one. Thank you.
kate3

Postby Angel135612 » March 14th, 2012, 12:43 am

Kate, Type your text... make sure it is selected, then go to Path>Object to Path. That should convert it to a path (I always check and click on the tool right under the arrow, and see if I get all the nodes, then I know it is a path). Then just select the Path>Outset. Instead of doing it multiple times, you can change how much each step will be (if you know how much larger you want it) by going into the Properties like I stated in my first post.
Angel135612

Postby kate3 » March 14th, 2012, 2:03 am

Angel135612 wrote:Kate, Type your text... make sure it is selected, then go to Path>Object to Path. That should convert it to a path (I always check and click on the tool right under the arrow, and see if I get all the nodes, then I know it is a path). Then just select the Path>Outset. Instead of doing it multiple times, you can change how much each step will be (if you know how much larger you want it) by going into the Properties like I stated in my first post.

Thank you so much. I am off to try it again. I think I panic if I have to do something fast. Then I just can't think and a couple of days notice would have been good. I will return if I still don't have it but I think I will even if I have to start with new text. I have a feeling I did stroke to path.
kate3

Postby kate3 » March 14th, 2012, 2:29 am

No, it won't work. Maybe it isn't me as they have nodes and will not change thicknesses. I think it may be the font as it is a weird one ending in ITC and not TTF. It is the only nice script font I have in Inkscape.
Any ideas on how to put another one in? I can't remember that either.
kate3

Postby whizzy » March 14th, 2012, 6:28 am

all the ITC stands for is International Typeface Corporation. What script are you trying to use?
www.scrapsofstuff.com
Mac OS X 10.9, Windows 7
Inkscape, Signcut Pro (with dongle) & Scal3  tiny bites! )
whizzy

Cutter: 18" Cougar

Postby MaryP » March 14th, 2012, 6:51 am

All that one normally needs to do with a font to outset it is to select it and use Ctrl+). If you look at the little dialogue box on the bottom of the Inkscape screen it should change from text to path once you have used Ctrl+) once. If you use Path>Object to Path you will also need to ungroup to get the outset to work. I don't have any ITC fonts but I would be surprised if they worked differently unless for some reason Inkscape blocks them.
MaryP

Cutter: Silver Bullet 18"

Postby kate3 » March 14th, 2012, 7:09 am

MaryP wrote:All that one normally needs to do with a font to outset it is to select it and use Ctrl+). If you look at the little dialogue box on the bottom of the Inkscape screen it should change from text to path once you have used Ctrl+) once. If you use Path>Object to Path you will also need to ungroup to get the outset to work. I don't have any ITC fonts but I would be surprised if they worked differently unless for some reason Inkscape blocks them.

Mary,
Thank you so much. I tried new fonts and they wouldn't work. So I finally tried another new font and did it your way and it worked. There is a problem with the first font I tried and I thought I was going crazy. I have done this about 100 times. You saved my sanity.
kate3

Postby Angel135612 » March 14th, 2012, 3:24 pm

That is strange Mary.... I do object to path all the time and never have to ungroup my letters before making them thicker. (I even did it before I told Kate how to do it so I got the steps right. It worked for me just fine).
Angel135612

Postby MaryP » March 14th, 2012, 3:34 pm

Sometimes Inkscape can be quirky. For ages I could not organise layers by using Shift and Page Up or Down to move them into the correct order. I redownloaded .47 and it then worked a treat. Are you using .47 or .48? I cannot outset in .47 unless I ungroup. A bit strange if you can. As long as it works one way or the other we all will be fine :) .
Last edited by MaryP on March 15th, 2012, 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaryP

Cutter: Silver Bullet 18"

Postby kate3 » March 14th, 2012, 10:04 pm

MaryP wrote:Sometimes Inkscape can be quirky. For ages I could not make layers by using Shift and Page Up or Down to move them into the correct order. I redownloaded .47 and it then worked a treat. Are you using .47 or .48? I cannot outset in .47 unless I ungroup. A bit strange if you can. As long as it works one way or the other we all will be fine :) .

Umm Mary, I am using 0.47 and I didn't ungroup to make it work. I think my computer hates me. :hide:
kate3

Postby Angel135612 » March 14th, 2012, 11:16 pm

I'm using .47 and you are right, it doesn't matter if something works one way on one computer and another on a different computer.. as long as it works.
Angel135612

Return to Graphics Programs (Inkscape, Illustrator, etc.)