Inkscape Node editing question

Inkscape Node editing question

Postby Angel135612 » February 20th, 2012, 11:09 am

I found some vector files online (Disney) that I wanted to use, but when I got a look at them, they aren't the best for cutting. They have vertical lines going through them, so instead of each part being one large area, it is divided into smaller areas. If I tried to cut it in vinyl, I would be left with many parts. So I need to go in and edit the lines out. I figured out how to break the line at the node, and I can move the node, but I'm finding that sometimes I need to get to a node UNDERneath the node on top. Is there an easier way to get to a lower node than moving one out of the way, selecting the node I want to delete, and then moving the node back into place? There are a lot of lines I need to edit, and would love to find an easier way to do this than what I'm doing.

Thanks,
Diane
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: Inkscape Node editing question

Postby rachellann » February 20th, 2012, 11:23 am

Angel go to edit then unlock and ungroup sometimes this process needs to be repeated more than once since some are grouped at different times then as you unlock and ungroup then make sure to have the layers panel open then copy one layer of the image to a new inkscape layer and close the eye and this way you can move each to their own layer and then move them to the proper layer position and edit nodes much more easier
Helping where I can when I can.
Using a 24" Silver Bullet Pro and also have a 18" Cougar
rachellann

Cutter: 18 Cougar, 24"Silver Bullet

Postby Angel135612 » February 20th, 2012, 11:41 am

Rach, You are a lifesaver.. THANK YOU!!!! I don't know why I forget to use layers sometimes, but what you suggested gave me an idea on how to do this better. AND, now I can work with the entire image, and have it filled or just the outline. I was going to just cut the outline because I didn't want to edit ALL the pieces.

But what I'm doing now, is taking one color to a new layer, hiding everything but the part I'm working on. Go to View>Outline, so I can see what I'm doing. I then OBject>UNgroup or Path>Break Apart, until I have boxes around each of the parts, then select two parts, and then Path>Union. That gets rid of those extra lines going through the design, and I just continue doing that until each part is just one. It may take some time to do it all, but it is so much easier and FASTER than the way I was doing it. I always seem to find the hardest way to do something, until I decide to ask a question and find another way. :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO:
Angel135612

Postby Angel135612 » February 20th, 2012, 2:13 pm

Okay, now I have another problem. I have taken one of my designs, got rid of all the extra lines, put each color on it's own layer and have tried to save it. I made sure my Inkscape preferences were set for SVG Output to have "Allow relative coordinates UN checked, and Force Repeat Command checked (as per Bryan) and then tried to save, both as Inkscape SVG and Plain SVG. I managed to get it saved ONCE, where in my folder is shows as an SVG Document, instead of a generic file, however, when I open it again, my layers in my layers panel are all missing. And if it is saved as a generic document, it won't open in at all, in AI I get a bunch of text, and if I just click on the icon to open, I get The File Type Assistant window asking me what program I want to use to open it. What am I missing to save this and keep my layers info...
Angel135612

Postby Angel135612 » February 21st, 2012, 9:33 am

I thought I had this figured out yesterday, as far as saving my work in Inkscape, but after working on a number of files yesterday, putting everything on a different layer, this morning I go to work on a file again, and I have the generic "file" icon, instead of an SVG icon. So I no longer have "layers", and have to move everything to their own layer again. I was saving as Inkscape SVG instead of plain SVG.... I thought that is what worked when I was trying different things to get it to save the way I wanted yesterday.. but now I'm not sure what to do. Any help would be appreciated, I don't want to do a lot of work and then lose it all in the way it is being saved.
Angel135612

Return to Graphics Programs (Inkscape, Illustrator, etc.)