Any way to recover files you were working on

Any way to recover files you were working on

Postby Angel135612 » January 2nd, 2012, 4:00 pm

I was working on a file to make a card for my card club in Feb. I took one of the free SVGCuts Valentine Truffle files and was creating a shaped card with it. I had made my card base, resized my pieces, and even got some of them cut out.... BUT before I thought about saving my file, Inkscape stopped working and had to close. Of course, I wasn't paying attention to exact sizes etc. Just creating to see how things looked, and figured I would save the file when I was done.

I'm sure I can recreate everything, and get close to the size of things I have already cut out, but does Inkscape store temp files somewhere? And would it be possible to find that file? Or I'm probably thinking there is a setting that I could have set (and probably did before I reloaded all the software on my laptop) to save automatically. Again this is another reason why I need to get myself organized, and keep notes. If I were organized, I would have made myself a note about setting Inkscape to save automatically, and how to do that, and made a list of settings for the software that I use, so I can go back and do it again if I had to reload the software, instead of just thinking that I will set things up the way I want them as I come across a problem (which is how I usually handle things). (I know Bryan has told people mulitiple times about some setting in Inkscape to save as SVG that will work with MTC, but once I set it I forget about it and then can't remember what it was if I need to do it again.)

One of the things I want to work on this year, is taking notes and being organized so that I know what I have done, and can do it again with out always having to ask someone what to do... LOL.. okay, so it may not happen, but I can at least try. :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO:
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: Any way to recover files you were working on

Postby Tyler » January 2nd, 2012, 4:09 pm

In Inkscape Preferences (ctrl shift P), go to Save and make sure AutoSave is checked.

For SVG output, make sure Force Repeat Commands is checked and Allow Relative Coordinates is unchecked.
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Re: Any way to recover files you were working on

Postby Angel135612 » January 2nd, 2012, 4:21 pm

Thanks Tyler, I am going to add that to my note NOW.. before I forget and have to ask again!!!! :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO:
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Return to Graphics Programs (Inkscape, Illustrator, etc.)